Week 18 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Riftty said:

Here is a interesting question for you guys. Let’s say you beat us and lock up a playoff spot and go on a run and win the Super Bowl with Jimmy has the helm and he has a nick foles type playoff run.

is he your starter next year? Or do you guys still wanna kick him to the curb?

We can't carry him with his current contract. Extension would need to happen. We are pretty tough up against the cap next year already with minimal amount of players signed. Could they figure it out? Yes of course there's always a way. Makes more sense to trade for highest bidder and reload with Lance. Deebo and Bosa need to be extended soon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riftty said:

Here is a interesting question for you guys. Let’s say you beat us and lock up a playoff spot and go on a run and win the Super Bowl with Jimmy has the helm and he has a nick foles type playoff run.

is he your starter next year? Or do you guys still wanna kick him to the curb?

He gone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Could be that he just wants to play, and is all about competition. Not that that's a bad thing. And he could still do that regardless if there was a first round rookie behind him or whatever his situation is next season. He seems like the last type of guy to let someone else live rent free in his head, let alone worry about his employment status months from now when there is a situation that needs his immediate focus and determination this week. Coaching staff also might be leaning on him to try and give it a go, and he's doing his best for his team. I'll go with the more wholesome perspective on this one :)

Don’t take me wanting us to play Lance as me dogging Jimmy. I think it’s pretty obvious that he’s a fantastic teammate and he’s an efficient QB when healthy. I’m still of the opinion that when Jimmy is banged up, his game takes a nose dive. At the end of the day I’m going to be rooting for whoever we send out on Sunday. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Do y'all think the 49ers are just trying to misdirect the Rams with this Jimmy G stuff, or would he be legitimately able to play just 2 weeks after that injury?

Didn't Stafford also play a season with that same injury? And then waited until the offseason to have surgery? Depends on the severity of the injury for Jimmy. 

Shanahan is a sly yahoo, but Jimmy is actually out there throwing. He probably has a chance to play. 

58 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Do y'all think the 49ers are just trying to misdirect the Rams with this Jimmy G stuff, or would he be legitimately able to play just 2 weeks after that injury?

No, I think Jimmy will be the starter on Sunday. He's been able to throw the ball some at least in practice and obviously in warm ups and seems to have the same type of velocity on his throws. Shanny will trust Jimmy more in a must win game over Trey. 

This game is going to be a grind, a low scoring type of game that comes down to the wire. I do wonder if Shanny will be more open to giving Trey a few snaps this game after seeing him play last season? 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I think Jimmy starts. If he's ready and healthy, I even think it's the right call. I just don't know how in the world he's healthy lol

17 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Could be that he just wants to play, and is all about competition. Not that that's a bad thing. And he could still do that regardless if there was a first round rookie behind him or whatever his situation is next season. He seems like the last type of guy to let someone else live rent free in his head, let alone worry about his employment status months from now when there is a situation that needs his immediate focus and determination this week. Coaching staff also might be leaning on him to try and give it a go, and he's doing his best for his team. I'll go with the more wholesome perspective on this one :)

Yeah, I think Jimmy is really that competitive, he wants to play and he wants to win. Sure, other things can be motivating factors, like playing for his next contract, but personality-wise, I truly believe Jimmy is someone who gives his all just for the sake of competition. He wants to be there for his teammates, and his teammates believe in him. 

To be fair about Jimmy's drop in performance when injured, is that most of his injuries have been to the lower body. ACL in his knee(2018), high ankle sprain (2020), calf this year. For a QB who has limited arm strength, leg injuries are a lot more significant, in my opinion, than for a strong-armed QB like Trey, so I believe drafting Trey is some sort of insurance against that in the future. Trey will be nicked up, but his arm strength will allow him to play through some injuries, even if it means having to stay in the pocket more. For Jimmy, having a lower body injury seriously limits the range of his passes on top of his already limited mobility. That's why we've seen a drop in performance in the past when he was injured. Do we see a significant drop in performance for a thumb injury, where it's mostly pain tolerance, rather than physical limitation?

My question is: are we more likely to see shotgun instead of taking snaps under center because of the injury? It feels like it's easier to accomodate for a shotgun snap than having your hand stuck in there. So, if that's the case, how limited will the offense be because of it?

Edited by rudyZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Yeah when he practiced two days in a row I think the writing was on the wall. 

I fully expect to see Jimmy starting, but I also hope he has a short leash. Like, if the ball isn't coming out right or something, that Shanny pivots to Lance. This is not the time to mess around. 

• Like 2