Trade rumor/suggestion thread

resilient part 2

7 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I heard someone on the radio suggest a trade between Cleveland and Miami for Whiteside instead of them trying to wrangle Jordan away from the Clippers.

Cleveland receives:
Hassan Whiteside

Miami receives:
Tristan Thompson
Channing Frye
Cleveland 2018 1st Round Pick

I’d do this in a second. But why would Miami?

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

A Warriors radio personality said it like 3 weeks ago.  There's no substance to these rumors.  He didn't even say it was floated out there; he said he would try to do that if he were running the Warriors.

It's confirmed by a couple Warriors beat guys (Thompson and the other dude at the Athletic, I forget his name) that Davis is on the organizations radar 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

It's confirmed by a couple Warriors beat guys (Thompson and the other dude at the Athletic, I forget his name) that Davis is on the organizations radar 

Kawakami is the one you're thinking about. He actually said he has no inside information on this, just something he thinks the Warriors may be thinking about. It makes sense that it will help with the luxury tax of having to only pay one max deal instead of two with Green/Thompson if those are the two traded. Personally, I don't see this happening and I'm not sure it would make the Warriors better. Klay's spacing helps out Steph and he's a good perimeter defender while Green is the one that does all the dirty work. Davis is far better than either of those two, but if the luxury tax isn't an issue, I'd keep Green/Klay. However, there is a good chance Klay could be moved if they don't want four max players, and in that case I'd say do it. Would the Pelicans accept it though? 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’d do this in a second. But why would Miami?

They have too many big contracts, their most effective lineups don't include Whiteside, and Bam Adebayo has looked really good.  They don't have a 1st round pick this year or in 2020, this would save them a whole lot of money/luxury tax going forward, and it would allow them to keep Ellington (who right now would very most likely be too expensive to keep).

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

They have too many big contracts, their most effective lineups don't include Whiteside, and Bam Adebayo has looked really good.  They don't have a 1st round pick this year or in 2020, this would save them a whole lot of money/luxury tax going forward, and it would allow them to keep Ellington (who right now would very most likely be too expensive to keep).

But they’d also be taking back TT. So it’s not that much more money saved and there’re getting a much worse player. Just for a late first?

11 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Even with Cleveland's 1st I don't think Dallas would want to take on extra money.

I'd do it for the Brooklyn 1st. Tristan Thompson is utter trash and Iman Shumpert is hardly an NBA player so we'd need something of value.

Cleveland wouldn't part with the BKN 1st though.

24 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

But they’d also be taking back TT. So it’s not that much more money saved and there’re getting a much worse player. Just for a late first?

It saves them $15 million in salary and a crap ton more in luxury tax penalties. Arison doesn't like paying the luxury tax for a title contender, let alone the 5th seed in the East. It also gives them the ability to bring back Ellington without becoming the most expensive team in the league.

It was just a 1st thought. You could throw in Miami's 2nd rounder or exchange the Brooklyn pick with protections for the Cleveland pick.

20 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

I'd do it for the Brooklyn 1st. Tristan Thompson is utter trash and Iman Shumpert is hardly an NBA player so we'd need something of value.

Cleveland wouldn't part with the BKN 1st though.

Well Shumpert's not involved so...

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Even with Cleveland's 1st I don't think Dallas would want to take on extra money.

Probably not, but they really need to get their hands on some additional draft ammunition, and with the way the roster is currently constructed (DSJ is untouchable), short of taking on bad contracts, I don't see how they go about doing that. 

35 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Forget the pick's value, is there a player in the league that you could add to Cleveland to make them the favorites?

No.  But that's also a very unrealistic viewpoint to make.  You could add a single player not on the Warriors roster, and they're probably not favorites over the Warriors.  But in terms of actually available players, you're not going to get someone whose going to make the Cavs leapfrog the Warriors.

Archived