Russell Wilson traded to Broncos for Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, Drew Lock, two 1sts, two 2nds

MikeT14

4 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Legal issues aside, I'll take Watson over Russell, the 7 years of youth he has on his side, and the arguably cheaper trade package it will take to acquire him. IF that happens, this offseason suddenly looks like a net-positive for Seattle

Why would it be cheaper (assuming Nick Caserio isn’t a complete idiot, which could be 50/50)? Neither team is operating without knowing the status of the legal situation, and if it’s a situation that does get resolved both sides will immediately know - and that will impact asking price.

If Watson was cleared - why would the Texans take less compensation for a younger QB with higher upside? Caserio JUST saw what Seattle got, and the Texans have been patient on this for over a year at this point - why would they short sell now, just as the legal situation gets resolved?

This is wishful thinking at best - Seattle would have to make a deal ASAP (while things are in question) to get a discount. If the legal situation is resolved (which might be this Friday) then the depreciation is no longer in effect - Watson is free and clear to continue his career, and the asking price becomes significantly higher.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Why would it be cheaper (assuming Nick Caserio isn’t a complete idiot, which could be 50/50)? Neither team is operating without knowing the status of the legal situation, and if it’s a situation that does get resolved both sides will immediately know - and that will impact asking price.

If Watson was cleared - why would the Texans take less compensation for a younger QB with higher upside? Caserio JUST saw what Seattle got, and the Texans have been patient on this for over a year at this point - why would they short sell now, just as the legal situation gets resolved?

This is wishful thinking at best - Seattle would have to make a deal ASAP (while things are in question) to get a discount. If the legal situation is resolved (which might be this Friday) then the depreciation is no longer in effect - Watson is free and clear to continue his career, and the asking price becomes significantly higher.

I’d first point out that “arguably” was the operative word from my post. That said, I’m happy to argue it. 

First, legal resolution or not, this is going to result in a stain on the perception of Watson’s character. You’ve already had the Giants’ John Mara come out and say the team will have no interest in Watson, regardless of the outcome of his trial. You’ve also had the Commanders effectively admit they couldn’t handle the PR scrutiny of bringing Watson on. The allegations themselves are a tough pill to swallow. Suitors are shrinking as time lapses. 

Second, we just saw first hand the influence a no-trade clause can have on trade leverage. There have already been numerous leaks that teams like Washington and Philadelphia have made better offers for Russ than Denver did and I’d be surprised if there weren’t other teams in that mix. We’ve heard that Russell would pretty much only approve a move to Denver of the available options and I think our return reflects that lack of leverage. Not only that, but we’ve already seen reports that Watson wouldn’t approve a trade to Philadelphia, who is arguably the team with the most draft capital to offer. 

Should Watson fetch more than a soon-to-be 34-year-old QB? Absolutely. However, considering the landscape of his legal issues and his relative control of his landing spot, it’s very easy to see a scenario where he goes for less than two 1sts, two 2nds, a recent 1st round pick, and two other players. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

It's so funny the general consensus on social media is that Denver got fleeced giving up so much, but on this forum and sports talk radio largely think Denver won the trade by far.  Probably a difference in actual football knowledge in those various venues but just an interesting observation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Twizlers said:

It's so funny the general consensus on social media is that Denver got fleeced giving up so much, but on this forum and sports talk radio largely think Denver won the trade by far.  Probably a difference in actual football knowledge in those various venues but just an interesting observation.

I think both sides won in a landslide (for their needs). Let me explain.

Seattle was going nowhere with the team they have in that division. (The NFCCG was the NFC West for example) To get that huge of a haul for a player who gave you 10 years of glory is wonderful.

Denver's QBs have been awful since 2015 (not after 2015, including 2015) Its OK to mortgage the future a bit for a HoF SB winning QB at age 34 especially when you have the pieces Denver has at the other 21 spots.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

I know it’s really hard to stomach trading your QB when he first starts to want out but Seattle would’ve gotten what three 1st’s plus more had they traded him last offseason?  Same goes for Watson (for different reasons).  Looking at you Keim.  

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I’d first point out that “arguably” was the operative word from my post. That said, I’m happy to argue it. 

First, legal resolution or not, this is going to result in a stain on the perception of Watson’s character. You’ve already had the Giants’ John Mara come out and say the team will have no interest in Watson, regardless of the outcome of his trial. You’ve also had the Guardians effectively admit they couldn’t handle the PR scrutiny of bringing Watson on. The allegations themselves are a tough pill to swallow. Suitors are shrinking as time lapses. 

Second, we just saw first hand the influence a no-trade clause can have on trade leverage. There have already been numerous leaks that teams like Washington and Philadelphia have made better offers for Russ than Denver did and I’d be surprised if there weren’t other teams in that mix. We’ve heard that Russell would pretty much only approve a move to Denver of the available options and I think our return reflects that lack of leverage. Not only that, but we’ve already seen reports that Watson wouldn’t approve a trade to Philadelphia, who is arguably the team with the most draft capital to offer. 

Should Watson fetch more than a soon-to-be 34-year-old QB? Absolutely. However, considering the landscape of his legal issues and his relative control of his landing spot, it’s very easy to see a scenario where he goes for less than two 1sts, two 2nds, a recent 1st round pick, and two other players. 

I'll also add that Watson is coming off a year without playing football.

Even if you assume his one super elite year is the real Watson (and his prior years were certainly good enough to suggest so), I think it's still fair to have questions after a year away from the game (not to mention whatever headspace he is in).

Is it enough to tilt the scales into Russell's favor value-wise? Idk maybe not, but it wouldn't shock me personally if Watson went for slightly less (like, the same picks no players or something). 

• Like 1

If anyone doubts that the last few years the O scheme and mentality wasn’t holding Wilson back - Greg Olsen outlines how extreme it was in his time with SEA.  Hard not to think Denver can’t do better in unlocking Wilson’s peak level of play back to his “let Russ cook” days.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Hasn't been even "good?" You're funny man 😄. There aren't any numbers that would back you up on that, at least that I'm aware of

It's a lot of resource to trade for the 3rd best QB in the division that's all I'm saying

4 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

I know it’s really hard to stomach trading your QB when he first starts to want out but Seattle would’ve gotten what three 1st’s plus more had they traded him last offseason?  Same goes for Watson (for different reasons).  Looking at you Keim.  

I don't think we've won the trade at all. Okay, you have a disgruntled QB and the situation has to be resolved somehow, but the return we got from Denver is... alright. Not saying I would give up more if I was Denver or most other teams, but as a Seahawks fan, saying that you're happy with losing Russ and getting some early round picks is just coping.

Pete and Schneider have been pretty bad at drafting in recent years too.

I'd like to see a whole change of scenery then, and with the departure of Russ, see some new people at the top as well, cause things have been pretty stale in Seattle for a while now.

Edited by TheChancellor

6 hours ago, viking said:

It's a lot of resource to trade for the 3rd best QB in the division that's all I'm saying

Then what should they do, then? Mahomes is a once in a lifetime QB. Herbert might be a once in a decade player. Wilson may well be the 3rd best QB in the division, but the gap is a LOT shorter than it was 3 days ago.

The move makes Denver competitive against any team in the league. That is worth the picks alone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Then what should they do, then? Mahomes is a once in a lifetime QB. Herbert might be a once in a decade player. Wilson may well be the 3rd best QB in the division, but the gap is a LOT shorter than it was 3 days ago.

The move makes Denver competitive against any team in the league. That is worth the picks alone.

Paton & Hackett thought they had Rodgers in the bag (who would be worth the haul of picks & players). When Rodgers resigned with GB they panicked and made the trade for Wilson.

The Broncos are a better team than last week but making a move out of panic can't be the best move.

10 minutes ago, viking said:

Paton & Hackett thought they had Rodgers in the bag (who would be worth the haul of picks & players). When Rodgers resigned with GB they panicked and made the trade for Wilson.

The Broncos are a better team than last week but making a move out of panic can't be the best move.

You didn't answer the question. What do you want them to do? What is the plan to get a QB that is good enough to compete with Mahomes and Herbert?

21 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I find it interesting that despite the success the Eagles have had over the last 5 or so years, having made the playoffs 4 times, 2 different QBs (Watson and Wilson) have allegedly said they would not waive their no-trade clause to go there.  I wonder why. 

11 minutes ago, viking said:

It's been well documented for a while that Rodgers or Wilson were both plan A. As for alternatives, Broncos were in a tough spot. Already one of the youngest rosters in the league with loads of high picks just waiting for a QB to bust out. Then alternative being running it back with Teddy or Trubisky or something after spending more high picks on probably defensive players (since this year's QBs suck)...fans would riot.

Then Broncos would be facing a mediocre season with probably a mid round draft pick next year when they really would want a high QB and even IF they hit on that QBOTF, they would be faced with having to resign all the other rookies while that QB develops, which doesn't work. You start to see the dilemma. There's no easy way to compete in this division but honestly idk who would argue the Broncos having a worse roster than Raiders or Chargers now which puts Broncos at #2 in probably the hardest division in football. That's a win dude...not a panic move

• Like 1