Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

Just now, flyers0909 said:

Sounds like he wanted Vegas so a 1st and 2nd is nice.  All that aside I'm gonna miss him.  Seemed like an awesome guy and the connection him and Rodgers had was special. 

Great player, but I bet we the Packers got the best out of him while also getting some good picks as a parting gift.  That contract is stupid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

Narrator: it's not

I see your pain, Champion; we just view this trade on opposite end. I will try to temper my outward joy and I respect your feelings of disgust with the whole deal.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

This actually make me feel even better about the trade.

Now...now....before the "aint-pundit" bias kicks in......he's right in one way - a way that I've been harping on for a long, time.....that GB's let the WR room get wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too thin.......and as a consequence (or a bad habit....) our QB had eyes for one guy only....or primarily.

We lacked the wide ranging passing attack - like the other teams Cowherd mentions - have.

So - once our one and only WR gets to stratospheric salary levels........what were we stuck on doing? Pay the man.

Well.....apparently....the man had other ideas.....and, even though it's gonna FORCE GB to make some quick adjustments and decisions - I can live with it.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Now...now....before the "aint-pundit" bias kicks in......he's right in one way - a way that I've been harping on for a long, time.....that GB's let the WR room get wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too thin.......and as a consequence (or a bad habit....) our QB had eyes for one guy only....or primarily.

We lacked the wide ranging passing attack - like the other teams Cowherd mentions - have.

So - once our one and only WR gets to stratospheric salary levels........what were we stuck on doing? Pay the man.
Well.....apparently....the man had other ideas.....and, even though it's gonna FORCE QB to make some quick adjustments and decisions - I can live with it.

Or what you are seeing is the beginning of WR's pricing themselves out of these kind of deals. I would say your money positions should still be QB, LT (for right handed qbs) CB, and edge. I love Adams, I wanted him to be here, but not at that money. I'll be interested to see what team has more success over the next few seasons, granted LV plays in that crazy stacked AFC west. I think getting a vet or two, using the draft, and most importantly moving the ball around can still make us a very successful offense. This doesn't feel like it was an over night decision. You will be seeing the direction the Packers take with WRs in this offseason.

To your point though, The team did lean on 12 making people better, but Gutey also had a lot of areas to fix, and well. a HOF qb does make his players better. 

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Relevant read here

Turning 29 has not been kind: Wide receivers showing rapid decline

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2021/12/24/22852551/nfl-wide-receiver-age-decline-over-30-cooper-kupp

Yep. Although davante is in a different league than those guys and I feel his game will be good for a few more years.

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Yep. Although davante is in a different league than those guys and I feel his game will be good for a few more years.

I still think he is a top 3 through this next deal. Then maybe the ring chasing contracts begin. Dude is an absolute stud. 

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Relevant read here

Turning 29 has not been kind: Wide receivers showing rapid decline

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2021/12/24/22852551/nfl-wide-receiver-age-decline-over-30-cooper-kupp

Father time thing!!!

I think Adams will be/would have been darn productive in GB providing he stayed healthy and played 14-15 games.  It would have been the back end of that deal ...years 4-5 that would have been rough.

If Rodgers is in GB for 2 maybe 3 years, but Adams wanted a 5 year deal, the timelines just don't match up well.  Sucks for those first 2 years, but if GB can use the cap space well and hit on the picks...it should be better in the long run and may be better in the short run.