Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

19 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't really even know why they do (or would) want to lose a star player longer than they had to. I understand playing to certain groups but I think they are probably played to as much as is worth the effort. Eventually you are only keeping football fans around, the vague interest in the NFL may draw some views temporarily but they will get bored if they don't like football.

The NFL punishment system is and has been a wreck a long time. That is bad press in itself.

I think common sense should be used and in the Watson case that wouldn't be good for Browns fans but most of these suspensions could be figured out in 5 minutes after the evidence is brought forward.

You punched a guy in a fight that was mutual and no weapons or buddies were used... you get a fine for the first offense.

DUI or drug charge (unless it is a minor marijuana possession) you get 30 days in NFL jail (4 games) for first offense.

DV... I'm fine with 6 games for first offense if you are more likely than not guilty. It's something that should be on a players (all of our) mind when you get angry at a domestic partner.

Rape... if convicted or found guilty in civil (or you pay for damages) 10 years

Sexual misconduct or harassment. 2 games for 1st offense. Each additional carries more.

Sexual assault (by this definition: Sexual assault is defined as causing another individual to be subjected to sexual contact without consent. Under New York Penal Code §(3), “sexual contact” consists of any contact with the sexual or other intimate parts of a person with the objective of sexual gratification.) 4-6 games for first offense depending on the severity of the incident.

That's a minute worth of work that could be done more thoroughly by someone smarter than me to keep most offenses in the books as far as punishment.

There will always be gray areas that will strike up debate but you could cover the vast majority of cases in the vast majority of instances. Now if you have 25 sexual misconduct/assault cases you're probably done for life so serial offenders would be out of the league but it would be fine, the league can live without that very small minority of players who fall under that category.

The NFL issue to me isn’t that they wanted a longer suspension. Imo it should have been much longer. But don’t use an outside arbitrator and then appeal what the ruling is. Then just choose a different person hoping for a different, more agreeable outcome. 

And yes, our predator has put the NFL in a bad situation, but I think the best thing in the NFL could’ve done was just wash their hands about what the ruling was, say they disagree with it, and moved on. 

• Like 6

Not going to happen....but it would funny AF if Harvey upheld the punishment of 6 games by Judge Robinson.  What if he comes to the same conclusion that she did, based on the precedent of previous infractions/punishments?  We all know that he is a "puppet", and being "told" what the NFL wants, so that is out the window.  

38 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Not going to happen....but it would funny AF if Harvey upheld the punishment of 6 games by Judge Robinson.  What if he comes to the same conclusion that she did, based on the precedent of previous infractions/punishments?  We all know that he is a "puppet", and being "told" what the NFL wants, so that is out the window.  

I am PRAYING this happens.......

I hold fast to this dude used no Violence, Force or Threat. There are to many coincidences, to much Team Involvement. Not saying he's innocent, but some of the labels that are being bandied about in here....make me Cringe, but hey this is America and I grew up in South Carolina during the 70's....I've gotten "Use To" things playing out a certain way....Good Ole Status Quo.....

6 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I am PRAYING this happens.......

I hold fast to this dude used no Violence, Force or Threat. There are to many coincidences, to much Team Involvement. Not saying he's innocent, but some of the labels that are being bandied about in here....make me Cringe, but hey this is America and I grew up in South Carolina during the 70's....I've gotten "Use To" things playing out a certain way....Good Ole Status Quo.....

From a LEGAL STANDPOINT, he may very well think that Judge Robinson handed down the correct punishment.  Morally, however, he may feel that he needs to be more "heavy handed", while simultaneously trying to appease Goddell, and the public.  He can interpret, and manipulate Robinson's findings in any manner he chooses, and come up with a decision that ranged from 0 to indefinite suspension.  Anyone with a legal background could do so.  Harvey's decision may actually be what he believes, but moreso, it will be what Roger has asked for.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What’s funny in all this is that from every report, if Watson’s camp didn’t make the other attorney mad, he could have settled under the table for $100K and likely all this goes away. 

I thought I read that somewhere also.  Which makes you wonder how cheap, and dumb Watson is....or truly believes he didn't do anything wrong?

Buzbee asks for a settlement in the Solis case, which inevitably might have made this go away.  I mean...did anyone else come forward at that point?

Watson knows he has done this multiple times, but in his mind, he would rather be defiant, instead of paying hush money to 1 person?  That doesn't make sense!

22 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I thought I read that somewhere also.  Which makes you wonder how cheap, and dumb Watson is....or truly believes he didn't do anything wrong?

Buzbee asks for a settlement in the Solis case, which inevitably might have made this go away.  I mean...did anyone else come forward at that point?

Watson knows he has done this multiple times, but in his mind, he would rather be defiant, instead of paying hush money to 1 person?  That doesn't make sense!

None of this makes sense, which makes me wonder if Watson is A) A complete idiot and receiving some of the worst advice ever from his legal team or B) He actually didnt do anything and he is being attacked by a bunch of Amber Herds.

You would think at some point, if he did what all the accusations said he did, that his #1 ranked legal team would have been like 'Man, you have to settle on these before this becomes a bigger problem'. The fact that his legal team has backed him this entire time, for well over a year when they had a chance to pay a couple hundred grand to get out of it multiple different times, makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I seriously doubt Watson had competent legal counsel with this initial decision. (I believe Watson probably believed he did nothing wrong.  But that is where one needs good representation to step in and provide sound advice.)  They rebuffed the initial offer to settle without even proposing a real counter offer per Mike Florio.  I think both Watson and his legal representatives have done a disservice to him in managing this crisis.  He should have settled the 1st case.  He should have settled the 18 or so cases that were ready to settle at the time of the prosed Dolphins deal.  He should have settled as many as possible when signed the Browns deal.

I also firmly believe once this became a national firestorm he should have hired a PR firm to help him manage his statements.  His legal team did a good job in the courts, and belatedly, in my opinion, took the only rational course and settled all but one of the cases.  They failed to realize that they were also litigating in the court of public opinion.  Tony Buzbee killed them here. (Rusty Hardin needed a PR firm help to craft his public statement which were unhelpful at best.) Watson's legal team lost this critical battle and now Watson and the Browns are paying the consequences.  The court of public opinion is the only court that the NFL cares about and this why the NFL is out for blood.

The conduct policy isn't about fairness, or justice (hence no investigation or punishment for the Texans for their alleged involvement or settling of 30 cases) its about protecting the shield in the court of public opinion.  Watson's legal team seems to have missed this aspect the case, and it has cost Watson dearly in terms of legal fees, settlement costs, NFL suspension, likely NFL fines and cost to public reputation.  (Not saying he doesn't deserve this, just saying he didn't help himself in managing the crisis.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrpazzo said:

I seriously doubt Watson had competent legal counsel with this initial decision. (I believe Watson probably believed he did nothing wrong.  But that is where one needs good representation to step in and provide sound advice.)  They rebuffed the initial offer to settle without even proposing a real counter offer per Mike Florio.  I think both Watson and his legal representatives have done a disservice to him in managing this crisis.  He should have settled the 1st case.  He should have settled the 18 or so cases that were ready to settle at the time of the prosed Dolphins deal.  He should have settled as many as possible when signed the Browns deal.

I also firmly believe once this became a national firestorm he should have hired a PR firm to help him manage his statements.  His legal team did a good job in the courts, and belatedly, in my opinion, took the only rational course and settled all but one of the cases.  They failed to realize that they were also litigating in the court of public opinion.  Tony Buzbee killed them here. (Rusty Hardin needed a PR firm help to craft his public statement which were unhelpful at best.) Watson's legal team lost this critical battle and now Watson and the Browns are paying the consequences.  The court of public opinion is the only court that the NFL cares about and this why the NFL is out for blood.

The conduct policy isn't about fairness, or justice (hence no investigation or punishment for the Texans for their alleged involvement or settling of 30 cases) its about protecting the shield in the court of public opinion.  Watson's legal team seems to have missed this aspect the case, and it has cost Watson dearly in terms of legal fees, settlement costs, NFL suspension, likely NFL fines and cost to public reputation.  (Not saying he doesn't deserve this, just saying he didn't help himself in managing the crisis.)

And based on the bolded....if he believes he did nothing wrong, then either A.  He is a sociopath (could be) or B.  These were consensual acts, or misrepresentations (even slightly) by the plaintiffs.

In terms of his legal representation, it is obvious they dropped the ball!