2022 Academy Awards

Broncofan

This just confirms that w/ wokeness and now this, stand-up comedy is dead.

My wife usually wants to watch the red carpet b/c she enjoys the fashion but even she told me to turn it off after 20 minutes. I was pumped. **** is garbage.

EDIT: Maybe not "dead" but it will never be as good as it was. People simply take things too seriously. Could it be argued that it's deserved? Maybe. Not everything though.....

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

I had no idea that Jada had alopecia. I bet who ever wrote that joke, Rock and the producers didn't either. also seeing how will and Jada act the last few yrs helps explains Jaden and willow lol

Chris Rock is apparently getting that out there, yes. 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Nah. This event is just rich out of touch people wanting to pat themselves on the back and give themselves trophies. The comedy is at their expense, to reel in viewers to offset the nearly dead interest level.  Comedy lands where it’s intended to land with its intended audience, which isn’t always going to work with the rich and out of touch. 

• Like 1

My wife usually wants to watch the red carpet b/c she enjoys the fashion but even she told me to turn it off after 20 minutes. I was pumped. **** is garbage.

EDIT: Maybe not "dead" but it will never be as good as it was. People simply take things too seriously. Could it be argued that it's deserved? Maybe. Not everything though.....

I disagree. There's plenty of good stand up comedy around still.

Hell, even one of the best awards show standup comedy came only a couple years ago (Ricky Gervais at the 2020 Golden Globes).

But typically, award shows never historically had good standup comedy anyway (outside of the 1998 ESPYs)

• Like 1

Nonsense.  Standup comedy is as good as ever.  Dave Chappelle, Tom Segura, Anthony Jeselnik, Sebastian Maniscalco, Jerry Seinfeld, Patton Oswalt, Aziz Ansari, David Spade, Christina P, Brian Simpson and many more. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Nonsense.  Standup comedy is as good as ever.  Dave Chappelle, Tom Segura, Anthony Jeselnik, Sebastian Maniscalco, Jerry Seinfeld, Patton Oswalt, Aziz Ansari, David Spade, Christina P, Brian Simpson and many more. 

OK Maybe "dead" was the wrong term but it is certainly trending in the wrong direction to me. You listed some people and some are good and some aren't but they're still going to be the focus of cancel culture if a reason presents itself. They're trying w/ Chappelle and will continue to but he simply doesn't care and I don't think I couldn't be happier about it. Someone needs to stand up to those people and make them realize that not everything is the worst thing ever and it's OK to sit back and laugh at our differences. 

There used to be far more solid stand-up comedians than there is right now, IMO, and I think that what I spoke of prior has an influence on that.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

16 minutes ago, August4th said:

surprise they don't give a heads up to the celebs who will be part of these jokes, seeing how powerful/self-serous some of these people are. Maybe that's something the Oscars will start doing

Yes, because being more scripted is what the Oscars need.  4 pages in and no one is talking about the actual awards because they are a joke anymore. I believe some movie no one saw won best picture again.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Yes, because being more scripted is what the Oscars need.  4 pages in and no one is talking about the actual awards because they are a joke anymore. I believe some movie no one saw won best picture again.

Well wasn't that an apple TV movie? I don't even personally know anyone that has an apple tv subscription.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You listed some people and some are good and some aren't 

There used to be far more solid stand-up comedians than there is right now, IMO, and I think that what I spoke of prior has an influence on that.

lol who on that list isn’t good??  Those are all outstanding comedians and some are straight up killers.  

Edited by thrILL!
clarity

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

Hell, even one of the best awards show standup comedy came only a couple years ago (Ricky Gervais at the 2020 Golden Globes).

I was surprised Tim Cook wasn't there for Coda and then I remembered how bad Gervais nailed him in that one.

• Like 1

OK Maybe "dead" was the wrong term but it is certainly trending in the wrong direction to me. You listed some people and some are good and some aren't but they're still going to be the focus of cancel culture if a reason presents itself. They're trying w/ Chappelle and will continue to but he simply doesn't care and I don't think I couldn't be happier about it. Someone needs to stand up to those people and make them realize that not everything is the worst thing ever and it's OK to sit back and laugh at our differences. 

Also Brian Regan, Maria Bamford, Jim Jeffries, Jim gaffigan, Mike Birbiglia, Bo Burnham, Bill Burr, John Mulaney, Neil Hamburger, Tig Notaro, Fred Armisen, Eugene Mirman, Margaret Cho

The point isn't that you have to like all of them that were listed. The point is that there are a lot of options to find people to make you laugh.

There's always been great comedians and hack comedians in every time period.

And it's regardless of what people claim cancel culture is.

Mitch Hedberg could do the exact same set today as he could back then. Al Bundy is basically an archie bunker. Some comedians change their act because times change and people grow. Shouldnt be something to complain about too much.

Which other standup comedians were more solid than the ones right now? (Not saying you are specifically wrong....since Norm and Mitch hedburg are gone, there went two of my favorites, but there's always something funny to watch/listen to if you look for it)

• Like 2