Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

With the defense that we have, yes, it will make Rodgers life easier, if he allows it.  It should also extend his career.  Who wouldn't want to stick around and play with a defense like this (on paper) while having a developing Watson?

And if he doesn't stick around, the roster is built nicely for a new QB to step in.  Be it Love or someone else.  It should be a case of "no savior needed".

I see the philosophy of this offense in a similar light. Hopefully a deep and very good Oline combined with RBs who can catch and WRs who can block allow us to not need an elite QB or skill positions, just good players who are built for this system. Of course, you’ll always want elite players and QB is the engine that drives everything forward, but we may still be competitive if we get a guy who is just good enough.

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pugger said:

What TE could/should we have taken at 59 had we not traded up for Watson?  Trey McBride was the only one taken in the 2nd round at #55.  I don't think this was the greatest TE class and not many were even taken when it was all said and done.

Yeah I guess my preference (admittedly in hindsight) would have been to take Jelani Woods at 59 and either Pierce/Moore at 53. But I guess I'll just have to be excited about Watson instead. It's also possible that this front office feels good about the state of the TE room. I'm just a little surprised we didn't draft someone to start grooming for when Lewis retires.

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

With the defense that we have, yes, it will make Rodgers life easier, if he allows it.  It should also extend his career.  Who wouldn't want to stick around and play with a defense like this (on paper) while having a developing Watson?

And if he doesn't stick around, the roster is built nicely for a new QB to step in.  Be it Love or someone else.  It should be a case of "no savior needed".

I believe Gute/MLF's attitude is that the best thing you can do with an elite QB is make it so you don't need him that often. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, R T said:

Ohio State had 6 players drafted and another 6 signed as UDFA's, Gutes wasn't there to just check out Olave. His greatest interest at OSU was probably Jeremy Ruckert and Tyreke Smith. 

Of course none of us really know what players he was scouting on that visit to OSU.  In the end he didn't draft anyone from that school.

I've always been a "Don't tell me, show me" guy when it comes to the draft, but this just might be Gute's best draft class yet, and might be up there going back many years.  Really like what he did on the OL.  We'll see what happens but on the surface this class looks pretty damn good.

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I've always been a "Don't tell me, show me" guy when it comes to the draft, but this just might be Gute's best draft class yet, and might be up there going back many years.  Really like what he did on the OL.  We'll see what happens but on the surface this class looks pretty damn good.

It's hard not to see three starters coming from this draft in the next few years.

Walker is going to be a starter, probably year one.

Wyatt is going to be a starter, but probably not year one.  Though he should see a lot of snaps.

Hard not seeing Watson as a starter in a few years, could even be year one.

Then we have Tom and Rhyan.  Hard not seeing one of them starting in a few years.  Guessing one starts this year.

Then we have Doubs.  Again, hard not seeing him as a starter in a few years.  And he should see snaps as a rookie.

Wildcard with the 7th round OT and the safety.

But that is like 6 who should be ready to roll pretty quick.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

It's hard not to see three starters coming from this draft in the next few years.

Walker is going to be a starter, probably year one.

Wyatt is going to be a starter, but probably not year one.  Though he should see a lot of snaps.

Hard not seeing Watson as a starter in a few years, could even be year one.

Then we have Tom and Rhyan.  Hard not seeing one of them starting in a few years.  Guessing one starts this year.

Then we have Doubs.  Again, hard not seeing him as a starter in a few years.  And he should see snaps as a rookie.

Wildcard with the 7th round OT and the safety.

But that is like 6 who should be ready to roll pretty quick.

Hey, I am with you in this assessment.

But weren't we really just a simple freaking boilerplate just-need-to-be-competent Special Teams unit away from going to the SB?

Our 7th round LB/S puts us over the top.

• Like 1

Man this has to be my favorite draft class. I haven't felt this good about a draft class since the Raji, Clay class. It was just something special about that class that you knew it was going to turn around the fortune of this franchise. And we indeed got a SB because of that class. Solid A for me.

This has to be how Gute is walking into 1265 every day. He knows he killed this draft. 

wwe raw GIF

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Man this has to be my favorite draft class. I haven't felt this good about a draft class since the Raji, Clay class. It was just something special about that class that you knew it was going to turn around the fortune of this franchise. And we indeed got a SB because of that class. Solid A for me.

This has to be how Gute is walking into 1265 every day. He knows he killed this draft. 

wwe raw GIF

Walking In Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

• Like 1