2023 Draft Talk

swede700

More analysis on Richardson...

There might not be a more polarizing prospect in the entire 2023 NFL draft class than Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson.

For one, Richardson has the strongest arm of any quarterback in the 2023 draft class -- and one of the stronger arms evaluated in the past five years. He can not only dial up deep-ball throws but also has velocity that rivals the best throwers in the NFL, allowing him to drive the ball into windows. Part of his development will be learning touch and how to layer the ball to different levels of the field, but there isn't a throw that Richardson can't make from an arm talent perspective.

When asked to compare his arm talent to another prospect, one NFL general manager was reminded of Josh Allen.

"It all goes back to accuracy -- trying to fix his accuracy. I'm not sure you can," is how one AFC scout put it to me at the Senior Bowl. "Everyone wants to talk about Allen this and Allen that, but the fact of the matter is he completed under 55% of his passes, and some of those misses were all-time misses."

Richardson could become only the fourth quarterback drafted in the first round over the past 10 classes with a career completion percentage below 60%, joining Daniel Jones (59.9%), Allen (56.2%) and Lamar Jackson (57.0%). And he would be the only quarterback drafted in the first round with a career completion percentage below 55% in that same time frame.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35719104/2023-nfl-draft-scouts-florida-gators-quarterback-anthony-richardson-strengths-flaws-team-fits-ranking-comps

The upside is tremendous with him, so some team will likely take him earlier than they should because of it, but I would love to see what the Vikings would do if he were available at #23.  

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn’t hesitate to trade up for Richardson, and give him a year behind Cousins. 

He is the only QB in this draft I would seriously consider doing that for.  They likely won't because of the lack of draft picks already, but if he were to get passed up by Vegas, I'd have to imagine Atlanta's phone will be ringing off the hook.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i saw a mock yesterday where he went #1.

That wouldn’t shock me given his physical skills, but I certainly think it would be a mistake. Anyone who’s trading up to the #1 spot to pick a QB likely needs that QB to start from day one. Richardson should not be starting from day one. 

Depending on how committed the Seahawks are to Geno Smith, or which veteran QB the Raiders go with, I could easily see Richardson going to any one of the teams currently slated to pick 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That wouldn’t shock me given his physical skills, but I certainly think it would be a mistake. Anyone who’s trading up to the #1 spot to pick a QB likely needs that QB to start from day one. Richardson should not be starting from day one. 

Depending on how committed the Seahawks are to Geno Smith, or which veteran QB the Raiders go with, I could easily see Richardson going to any one of the teams currently slated to pick 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th. 

It's going to be interesting to see how that falls.  We'll have to see how he does during the Combine...segue to VD's thread, since it starts next week.  🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

it probably was a mock authored by someone who knew Richardson shouldn't go #1, but by mocking him that way the guy/outlet gets clicks.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

With this being such a deep and talented CB class, I wouldn’t be surprised if we traded down and still got a great corner. Emmanuel Forbes Jr. is my favorite CB in this entire draft. I like his skills, length, speed and instincts. Reminds me a lot of Sauce Gardner. He’s not as big, and not as good of a tackler, but he’s similar in many ways. He’s got twitchiness that can’t be taught, and his ball skills are elite. He also went to Mississippi State. Him and Cam Dantzler would pair nicely on the outside, if Patrick Peterson isn’t back.

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn’t hesitate to trade up for Richardson, and give him a year behind Cousins. 

But, I am expecting him to go top 10. 

I'm getting Zach Wilson vibes from him. 

I was told he has an elite skill-set and just needs some coaching and talent around. He got both those things and then promptly lost his job 3 times last season, once to a practice squad QB.

45 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

With this being such a deep and talented CB class, I wouldn’t be surprised if we traded down and still got a great corner. Emmanuel Forbes Jr. is my favorite CB in this entire draft. I like his skills, length, speed and instincts. Reminds me a lot of Sauce Gardner. He’s not as big, and not as good of a tackler, but he’s similar in many ways. He’s got twitchiness that can’t be taught, and his ball skills are elite. He also went to Mississippi State. Him and Cam Dantzler would pair nicely on the outside, if Patrick Peterson isn’t back.

I like Forbes a lot. He’s just pretty rail thin. He’s one of the guys I am interested in to see his measurements at the combine. 

24 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I like Forbes a lot. He’s just pretty rail thin. He’s one of the guys I am interested in to see his measurements at the combine. 

Yes he is rail thin, but the same thing was said about Sauce Gardner just a year ago. I think he’ll get bigger and stronger with NFL conditioning. An interesting stat about him, is that he hasn’t missed a game in the past three seasons, even with his thin frame. Durability is an underrated trait, especially for cornerbacks.

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yes he is rail thin, but the same thing was said about Sauce Gardner just a year ago. I think he’ll get bigger and stronger with NFL conditioning. An interesting stat about him, is that he hasn’t missed a game in the past three seasons, even with his thin frame. Durability is an underrated trait.

Sauce was still way bigger, taller and longer than Forbes.

If Forbes weighs in the 180s it’ll alleviate some concerns. But I think it’ll be in the 170lbs.  

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Sauce was still way bigger, taller and longer than Forbes.

If Forbes weighs in the 180s it’ll alleviate some concerns. But I think it’ll be in the 170lbs.  

Give me two weeks with him and an unlimited Cold Stone Creamery gift card and we’ll get him to 195…

• Like 1