Browns trade Baker Mayfield to Carolina for conditional 2024 5th

Forge

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers inquire about Baker for this season to give Pickett a year to watch. Salary is low enough, trade a 4th and if there are issues bring the rookie in. I think the Steelers would be battling for the division with Mayfield. Take some getting used to for the fan base though.

???

I mean, if we hadn't already signed Trubisky, it might be possible.    As of right now, Id put Mayfield and Trubisky on a similar level in regards to what they have to offer.

Beyond that, not sure why the Panthers would turn around and trade him, when they got him for that exact same reason (giving Corral a year to sit and learn).

Everyone is overrating Mayfield.

He's been propped up by either great coaching and/or a stellar surrounding cast since year 2. He's just not very good and will have a tough time beating Darnold out in camp.

And if Corral has his head on straight he'll be better then Mayfield too. 

He's so much like RG3 in that his early success carries all the weight, where in reality, he's been mostly mediocre.

The guy needs to lay low as a backup for a season or two, get better, and hope for a great opportunity.

Mayfield isn't great nor can  he stay healthy.  But the browns really got their butts handed to them in this trade.  

Rest of Browns players are the other victims as they lose a season and some of them a lot of future contract money.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

???

I mean, if we hadn't already signed Trubisky, it might be possible.    As of right now, Id put Mayfield and Trubisky on a similar level in regards to what they have to offer.

Beyond that, not sure why the Panthers would turn around and trade him, when they got him for that exact same reason (giving Corral a year to sit and learn).

Yeah I don't think anyone values Trubisky that much.

Panthers would trade him to make a profit.

30 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Mayfield isn't great nor can  he stay healthy.  But the browns really got their butts handed to them in this trade.  

Rest of Browns players are the other victims as they lose a season and some of them a lot of future contract money.

The shoulder was bad but Mayfield has only missed 2 games in 4 seasons due to injury.  He's been pretty healthy with 1 serious injury that he played through. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I don't think anyone values Trubisky that much.

Panthers would trade him to make a profit.

That much?   Im not saying there is a huge market for Trubisky, but you barely got anything for Mayfield either, despite numerous QB desperate teams.   

And Mayfield isnt much more talented than Mitch, so not sure why the Steelers would trade for a guy who MIGHT be a marginal upgrade.   In fact, Id say Mitch might even have SLIGHTLY more upside, because he failed with very little talent around him.   Baker failed in similar fashion with more talent surrounding him.   I dont expect much from Trubisky, but I wouldn't expect much from Mayfield either.

I wouldn't even be against bringing in Baker in general.   Just saying that a)  he doesn't offer much more than we already have and b)  Panthers arent going to trade him easily since they are likely looking for a vet to start this year while they teach Corral.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I mean, duh. He just played 4/5 of a season with an injured foot and a broken non-throwing shoulder. Taking a lot of hits from crappy tackle play. You can question his intelligence for keeping on playing under those conditions but you can't question his heart or commitment to the team and the first thing they did was trade for a sexual deviant. Pretty obvious why he may have revenge on his mind.

He was good as a rookie and his third year with solid playcalling and decent tackles. The other two years he was put in a bad spot by terrible playcalling and awful tackles. Sure, maybe Mahomes or Burrow or Allen (Lamar was healthy and had a worse season than Baker so I'm not including him) would have been fine, it's unknown, but I'm not sure that's a reason for him not to feel jilted.

No one forced him to go out there lol. Did the team hold him at gunpoint?

6 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

But I thought we had to release him, I thought we wouldn’t get a trade for him, I thought no one would take on any of his contract….

As a fan of another team….

We not to long ago traded Jimmy G who played 1 and a half games as a starter who got injured in his second star for a 2nd for a five game audition before the team that acquired him had to sign him. 

You traded Baker who started 59 games for you, was a first round overall, a rookie of the year who broke the rookie TD record, got you into the playoffs a season ago, for a 5th round conditional pick, took on the majority of his contract, and he still had to cut his salary because it wasn’t cheap enough for the Panthers to audition him for a full year before they make a decision to sign him longterm. 

You effectively traded him for nothing. The Browns got some cap relief but the Panthers gave away almost nothing of value (and honestly if he ****s the bed in the next two months you’ll lose that 5th as well) and financially it’s a complete risk free move for the Panthers. If he never takes a starting snap for them, the trade would almost be as if it didn’t happen on their end. Meanwhile, the little cap relief you got comes in July when most big name free agents are gone and everyone you are going to talk to pretty much knows they are wasting a year if they sign there because the QB is getting suspended. 

If before the Super Bowl this season someone said “the Browns will get a better QB and they’ll trade Baker for a 5th and still take on the lionshare of his contact, it would have been considered a laughably unrealistic move. 

Tbh, considering Watson is likely missing most of it not the entire year, you were probably better off just telling the Panthers you would take the cap hit this year to get a better draft pick because at that point even getting a 3rd would be of more value to you. 

• Like 3