WR Julio Jones signs 1-year deal with Bucs

ACO

17 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh. I think Julio is better than he looked in Tennessee, but I don't really understand this for the Bucs. Evans/Godwin/Gage was a fine corp. Johnson/Perriman/Miller were fine as 4/5/6 as well.

I dunno. I don't see him adding enough value as a #4. But I really don't think you want him taking snaps/targets away from Evans/Godwin/Gage. And right as Godwin was cleared to practice.

insurance policy. People must of forgotten what happen against the Saints when Evans and Godwin went down. Miller , Johnson were complete non factors when they had to step up. Brady does not want that to happen again. I thought we were OK with Gage and Perriman so this may seem like an overkill but clearly TB does not think so. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh. I think Julio is better than he looked in Tennessee, but I don't really understand this for the Bucs. Evans/Godwin/Gage was a fine corp. Johnson/Perriman/Miller were fine as 4/5/6 as well.

I dunno. I don't see him adding enough value as a #4. But I really don't think you want him taking snaps/targets away from Evans/Godwin/Gage. And right as Godwin was cleared to practice.

I think 2005/2013/2019 has made Brady paranoid about running out of targets. Even last year they went from Evans/Brown/Goodwin/Miller to  Evans/Perriman/Johnson over the course of the season. Jones maybe a 4th option but he's also an "in case of emergency, break glass for starter" option [insert pun about Jones being injured here].

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Are they planning to move on from Johnson or Miller?

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

You have to figure this is a dirt cheap signing. Value is relative in that sense.

Also, I'd say this is a pretty solid indication that Godwin starts the season on the PUP, so that's 6 weeks without him right there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

Also, I'd say this is a pretty solid indication that Godwin starts the season on the PUP, so that's 6 weeks without him right there.

He's cleared for practice and isn't on PUP to start camp, so I don't really think that's likely anymore.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

He's cleared for practice and isn't on PUP to start camp, so I don't really think that's likely anymore.

I just genuinely don't see any reason why they'd risk him early.  They just inked him to an extension.  It's not like they've got stiff competition for the division, and as such - a playoff spot.  This is a team that cares about winning another Lombardi, above all else.  They legitimately have no reason whatsoever to risk him early in the season when they don't have to.  He may avoid the PUP entirely if they end up not needing the extra roster spot/availability or, conversely, if another player picks up a knock between now and the start of the season and they need the PUP spot for that guy, but I really wouldn't be expecting any sort of notable workload out of Godwin until their home stretch starting in Week 8.

As far as Julio's usage, I certainly could be proved wrong, but I'm kind of anticipating something akin to Gage being the WR2/3 guy between the 20's and Julio gets brought in for Gage as more of a red-zone, corner-and-flag-route fade guy option (taking on a number of those routes in that area that where Brady's 1st read was almost always Gronk, if the play wasn't designed for him in the first place).

All this said, at least for the sake of the Falcons fans, the odds are in their favor that they'll never have to see Julio play in Atlanta wearing a Bucs uniform, because the divisional matchup in ATL isn't until Week 18, and given Julio's recent track record, he'll have picked up multiple injury spells by that point.

Edited by Dr LBC

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I think 2005/2013/2019 has made Brady paranoid about running out of targets. Even last year they went from Evans/Brown/Goodwin/Miller to  Evans/Perriman/Johnson over the course of the season. Jones maybe a 4th option but he's also an "in case of emergency, break glass for starter" option [insert pun about Jones being injured here].

Did he have targets to start 2019…? Legit the worst WR crew I’ve ever seen. Pats should be embarrassed for that core they put around him. And people were saying Brady was cooked all season… if you actually watched the games, his velocity and arm strength was in full effect. I’ll never understand the Brady is cooked comments that year. 

Julio’s massive production (in almost 7/8 seasons consecutive) amounting to still 9k less than Rice’s receiving record makes me wonder if it’s the most untouchable record in sports. Well, outside of Devin Hester since they changed the rules lol. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Did he have targets to start 2019…? Legit the worst WR crew I’ve ever seen. Pats should be embarrassed for that core they put around him. And people were saying Brady was cooked all season… if you actually watched the games, his velocity and arm strength was in full effect. I’ll never understand the Brady is cooked comments that year. 

Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown both lost to...circumstances. They also traded away Demaryius Thomas in week 2 and cut Dontrelle Inman in preseason. Went from above average to terrible in about 4 weeks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Julio’s massive production (in almost 7/8 seasons consecutive) amounting to still 9k less than Rice’s receiving record makes me wonder if it’s the most untouchable record in sports. Well, outside of Devin Hester since they changed the rules lol. 

Nope Cal Ripkens consecutive games streak in MLB followed by Brett Farves in the NFL will be harder to break. Neither of those you listed are even top 2 IMO. 

This is a signing more for the playoffs. All they need is him to play for like 3-4 games to start, get hurt, and then 2-3 games to close out the season as they build momentum towards a playoff run.

Gronk is absolutely coming back for a postseason run now. That way these guys can all say they played together.

Edited by diamondbull424