WR Julio Jones signs 1-year deal with Bucs

ACO

Eh. I think Julio is better than he looked in Tennessee, but I don't really understand this for the Bucs. Evans/Godwin/Gage was a fine corp. Johnson/Perriman/Miller were fine as 4/5/6 as well.

I dunno. I don't see him adding enough value as a #4. But I really don't think you want him taking snaps/targets away from Evans/Godwin/Gage. And right as Godwin was cleared to practice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh. I think Julio is better than he looked in Tennessee, but I don't really understand this for the Bucs. Evans/Godwin/Gage was a fine corp. Johnson/Perriman/Miller were fine as 4/5/6 as well.

I dunno. I don't see him adding enough value as a #4. But I really don't think you want him taking snaps/targets away from Evans/Godwin/Gage. And right as Godwin was cleared to practice.

You have to figure this is a dirt cheap signing. Value is relative in that sense.

IMO this is a nice cherry on the top signing. He is not your 1, 2, or 3 but if you have an injury he can be a good for a a stretch (if not also injured)

I also think of Tony Kornheiser after 28-3 saying that you'd trade all of Brady's WRs for Julio. It may be 3 years too late but its still pretty cool.

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I mean, historically, age 33 is when WR’s fall off a steep cliff. And you can say he fell off that cliff last year. He’ll be the clear WR4 when Godwin is back. But he’s a pretty good depth piece. 

I thought Julio would kind of follow the TO path personally. He always seemed like a receiver that was built to last imo.

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

This is more of a sign they aren't confident Godwin will be ready for week 1.

Julio Jones as a #2 with Tom Brady as his QB is perfectly fine.

• Like 1

Solid depth signing, since it seems apparent that Brady/the Bucs don’t believe Johnson/Miller are anything more than situationally useful. Julio is probably a step above that, albeit unreliable. Worth the Hail Mary, which I’m assuming this contract represents.

Worst case scenario, Julio’s sent packing and you still have a very strong WR room. Best case scenario, he stays healthyish and is a reliable target when the playoffs come around. 

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

This is more of a sign they aren't confident Godwin will be ready for week 1.

Julio Jones as a #2 with Tom Brady as his QB is perfectly fine.

I was thinking this too but interestingly he's not going into camp on the PUP list.   Either way it was very visible how the offense sputtered once Godwin went down and no AB.