2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I wouldn’t do this trade but, I would tag & trade DaRon Payne for the #1 pick & they can have #16 & our 2024 1st.

This is the dumbest thing ive ever read. One of the leagues best receivers, a first round pick and Chase Young who will be fully healthy for the first pick in the draft. I’d fire Rivera out of a cannon back to Carolina if he did something this dumb. The stuff these morons on twitter come up with. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I wouldn’t do this trade but, I would tag & trade DaRon Payne for the #1 pick & they can have #16 & our 2024 1st.

Not even alittle bit. Those are two of the biggest voices that have been apart of the locker room and players coming together. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Not even alittle bit. Those are two of the biggest voices that have been apart of the locker room and players coming together. 

Would you tag & trade Payne though for the #1 pick along w/ our 1st, next years 1st & some other picks they may want as filler?

I’m really concerned we’re going to lose Payne eventually for just a 3rd round comp if we don’t tag & trade him now in the way we lost Cousins & Scherff. Payne just earned himself a Jon Allen contract at the least - arguably more bc he had 11.5 sacks - he’s going to command a contract on avg of $20m plus a year. 

Packaging him with our 2023 & 2024 firsts and some other later picks will get us CJ Stroud or Bryce Young to compete w/ Sam Howell for the starting QB job next year.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I feel like that makes Payne's worth at about two first rounders and change?

IMO Payne is worth two picks as was Kirk, as was Trent & as was Scherff. It’s debatable if any of them would be worth multiple 1sts bc that’s a lot. But, a 1st and a 2nd or 3rd sure or for Payne & Scherff bc their interior line players maybe they’re worth like 2 seconds instead of a 1st & a third. 

The minute Payne is traded he’s immediately the best defensive player on the Bears, so they’ve solved a huge DL problem right away. Then, they’d get #16, our 2nd & our 2024 first.

The Bears Draft could look like this:

DaRon Payne

1. Broderick Jones, OT, GA (our 1st)

2. Luke Wypler, C, OSU (our 2nd)

2. Parker Washington, WR, PSU 

3. Jack Campbell, MLB, Iowa

4. Calijah Kancey, DT, Pitt

Etc, Etc. They’d have our 2024 first round pick too, which is likely to be in the teens again, but may be around 10th depending on how Sam Howell or the QB we take at #1 performs.

Are you saying we would have to throw in our 2025 first also?

I’ve been looking at some stuff and it’s kinda crazy how close this team was to being able to pick greatness at QB

Dan Marino pick 27 and we picked 28 (Darrell Green)

Aaron Rodgers pick 24 and we picked Jason Campbell at 25…I know we had pick 9 as well

Andrew Luck picked 1st. We took RG3 at 2. 

Joe Burrow picked first. We took Chase Young at 2. 

And the craziest of all. Tom Brady picked 199 and then we took Todd Husak at 202 lol

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’ve been looking at some stuff and it’s kinda crazy how close this team was to being able to pick greatness at QB

Aaron Rodgers pick 24 and we picked Jason Campbell at 25…I know we had pick 9 as well

And the craziest of all. Tom Brady picked 199 and then we took Todd Husak at 202 lol

Yeah man, I think about it all the time. Plus, we passed on Aaron Rodgers in 2005 to take Carlos Rogers bc Gibbs thought Jason Campbell would be the next Doug Williams.

I just told my brother in law that if we had just lost to the Dolphins or Panthers in 2019 that we’d have Joe Burrow right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This is why the whole "we only dropped two spots in the first, so I'm glad we beat the Cowgirls" rankles me. While the entire draft is a crapshoot (noted and acknowledged), two or three spots (or even one spot) can be the difference between getting a Franchise QB or not...or a HOFer (*) or not. And can certainly be the difference of if your team makes a quick turnaround or languishes in mediocrity for many more years.

(*) in 1983's case both were HOFers, so I'll acknowledge that before anyone wants to go all "ACKSHUWALLY" on me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah man, I think about it all the time. Plus, we passed on Aaron Rodgers in 2005 to take Carlos Rogers bc Gibbs thought Jason Campbell would be the next Doug Williams.

I just told my brother in law that if we had just lost to the Dolphins or Panthers in 2019 that we’d have Joe Burrow right now.

IIRC, if they get that 2 point conversion, we're picking Burrow.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is why the whole "we only dropped two spots in the first, so I'm glad we beat the Cowgirls" rankles me. While the entire draft is a crapshoot (noted and acknowledged), two or three spots (or even one spot) can be the difference between getting a Franchise QB or not...or a HOFer (*) or not. And can certainly be the difference of if your team makes a quick turnaround or languishes in mediocrity for many more years.

(*) in 1983's case both were HOFers, so I'll acknowledge that before anyone wants to go all "ACKSHUWALLY" on me.

Yeah man, I wanted Howell to play well & we’d lose week 18. The loss definitely cost us a few draft spots just like making winning the division in 2020 at 7-9 cost us 10 draft spots I think and the ability to draft Micah Parsons or Justin Fields. 

I like Jamin Davis a lot, he’ll be a good starter in the league for a decade but Parsons is an All-Pro game changer - him with our DL would’ve made our D the best in the league - and if it was Fields I feel we would’ve at least felt like we may have found our answer at QB even if we weren’t 100% sold on Fields going into his 3rd year.

In this draft, dropping 2 or 3 spots doesn’t seem like a big deal now, but what if one of the QBs drop like Fields & Max Jones did in 2021 or what if one of the top OL or CBs drop or Michael Mayer? 

We could miss out on them just bc we beat the Cowboys week 18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah man, I wanted Howell to play well & we’d lose week 18. The loss definitely cost us a few draft spots just like making winning the division in 2020 at 7-9 cost us 10 draft spots I think and the ability to draft Micah Parsons or Justin Fields. 

I like Jamin Davis a lot, he’ll be a good starter in the league for a decade but Parsons is an All-Pro game changer - him with our DL would’ve made our D the best in the league - and if it was Fields I feel we would’ve at least felt like we may have found our answer at QB even if we weren’t 100% sold on Fields going into his 3rd year.

In this draft, dropping 2 or 3 spots doesn’t seem like a big deal now, but what if one of the QBs drop like Fields & Max Jones did in 2021 or what if one of the top OL or CBs drop or Michael Mayer? 

We should never feel bad for beating Dallas. Yes, it cost us 2 spots in the draft. Heck, it might even hurt us...who knows.

But if you want to feel better about our screwups, Turtle.

Think about the Houston Texans. 

They won their finale in ridiculous crazy fashion, that cost them the #1 pick to the Bears.

Now that, could cost them their Franchise QB.

Not to mention the value of trading down to other teams being @1 vs #2.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Man, if we'd only dropped a spot or two in the 2020 draft and missed out on the Generational Talent .. !! 😂 Sometimes dropping down will save one from oneself.

• Like 1