2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

Mel Kiper's early take for us:

was.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Washington Commanders

Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Here's yet another team with quarterback issues, as the Commanders traded for Carson Wentz last offseason (which cost them their third-rounder this year) but turned back to Taylor Heinicke down the stretch. Neither is likely to be their Week 1 starter; I wonder whether they will be players in the veteran-signal-caller market and bring in someone to compete with Sam Howell. No matter who is playing quarterback, though, they have to improve along the offensive line. Jones is a 310-pound mauler who didn't allow a single sack as the Bulldogs' left tackle in 2022. I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the top 10.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My position on drafting a RB in the mid rounds, is the same as those who want to draft another TE in that we need to be drafting CBs, OL & reserve LBs. Those 3 areas have to be sured up with better depth and maybe even a starter. I just wouldn’t take a RB or TE right now given the depth we already have there.

I hear you on this. RB is not that high on my priority list, either. 

But I do think it’s always important to avoid using the words “draft” and “need” in the same sentence. If we have “needs,” let’s fill them in FA. Then we can spend the end of April focusing on adding the guys we “want.” 

That’s the number one thing I dislike about this FO. They sit out FA, and then force themselves into choosing from a short list of positions to fill immediate needs when it comes draft time. They really miss the point of the draft. It’s not to add missing pieces to next year’s team — it’s to acquire talent that will be with you for 4-5 years (and perhaps beyond). It doesn’t just force their hands in terms of what positions they draft, it also forces them to give undue priority to “ready now” prospects.

There are definitely bigger roster needs than RB. But we have the ability to address those in FA without having to compromise our draft picks. That’s how they should be approaching the offseason.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

But I do think it’s always important to avoid using the words “draft” and “need” in the same sentence. If we have “needs,” let’s fill them in FA. Then we can spend the end of April focusing on adding the guys we “want.” 

That’s the number one thing I dislike about this FO. They sit out FA, and then force themselves into choosing from a short list of positions to fill immediate needs when it comes draft time. They really miss the point of the draft. It’s not to add missing pieces to next year’s team — it’s to acquire talent that will be with you for 4-5 years (and perhaps beyond). It doesn’t just force their hands in terms of what positions they draft, it also forces them to give undue priority to “ready now” prospects.

There are definitely bigger roster needs than RB. But we have the ability to address those in FA without having to compromise our draft picks. That’s how they should be approaching the offseason.

I go back and forth on this.  In principle I agree with what you're saying, but also as someone who wants to primary build through the draft what you're proposing can be difficult. I also look at this current regime's draft record and think they've done a pretty good job of adding talent to the roster, but at the same time I question if they weren't shoehorning themselves into certain positions could they have done even better in these drafts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, I knew you and I have disagreed on the words “draft” and “need” for as long as we’ve been on here. But, I would say if that’s your position and we draft a RB who gets 10 snaps a game or is just a special teams player or a TE who ends up jsut backing up Logan Thomas while our depth at CB & LB remain the worst in the league & the right side of our OL is trash I don’t want to hear any complaining about it.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think we have a long term approach. Again, we drafted TEs in back to back drafts in 2021 & 2022 plus we added two guys as UDFAs who flashed in preseason as well.

For me, I’d like to see Cole Turner have more of a role before deciding to draft a TE in round 1 or 2. I remember watching the Chicago game when Logan didn’t play bc of his hamstring I think & coming away with Turner’s two catches.

Yes, if was just two catches but bc of how inaccurate Wentz was, Turner really had to climb the ladder and use all of his 6’6 frame on his 18 yard reception up the seam. If that’s a better ball that hits Turner in stride, it’s like a 25 yard plus completion. It was something that frankly/sadly we haven’t seen much from Logan Thomas since 2020 when Alex Smith was here.

I get everyone what’s to find the IT GUY at TE but for me, I think OL & CB are so much more important to our success on both sides of the ball next year. We don’t fix the OL then it really doesn’t matter who’s plying TE bc our QB isn’t getting to his 2nd or 3rd  read on a play which the TE we have will almost always be that far down on the reads bc we have Terry, Samuel and Dotson plus, I think if he’s in the game, Gibson is a higher priority as a receiver than any TE we’d bring in as well.

So give me Parris Johnson or Broderick Jones in R1 to be our RT & Luke Wypler to be our C or DJ Turner to come in and be our slot corner day 1 w/ Juice & Fuller staying on the outside.

I'm not sure you can defend this Front office with having a long term approach at all. Rivera clearly has mismanaged the offensive line. They always seem to be a year behind. No one on this forum wanted to draft offensive line last year, especially you.. And now a year later we are a complete mess there. I don't see a rookie coming in and fixing it one year either. Yes, we could use a R1 RT or RG. I would love it personally. But I'm not gonna ignore Michael Moyers' back to back 800 yard seasons or Dalton Kincaid's almost 900 yard season and act like Antonio flippin Gibson would be a higher priority. 

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

I'm not sure you can defend this Front office with having a long term approach at all. Rivera clearly has mismanaged the offensive line. They always seem to be a year behind. No one on this forum wanted to draft offensive line last year, especially you.. And now a year later we are a complete mess there. I don't see a rookie coming in and fixing it one year either. Yes, we could use a R1 RT or RG. I would love it personally. But I'm not gonna ignore Michael Moyers' back to back 800 yard seasons or Dalton Kincaid's almost 900 yard season and act like Antonio flippin Gibson would be a higher priority. 

It’s not just about Gibson. It’s that we have Terry, Dotson & Samuel gobbling up about 300 targets. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

One man's opinion, but shockingly doesn't have Mayer #1. First time I have seen that. 

Kincaid is that dude!!! I still like Mayers all around skillset though. But he’s not as dynamic as Dalton but he’s still amazing!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

One man's opinion, but shockingly doesn't have Mayer #1. First time I have seen that. 

We’re going to learn a lot about the top 4 TEs & who’s the best prospect over the next 3 months. I think it was @e16bball but I remember someone saying how important Mayer’s 40 time is for his & his short shuttle. Same with Darnell Washington. If neither of them move very well then Mayer could slip to the 2nd & Darnell Washington to the 3rd.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s not just about Gibson. It’s that we have Terry, Dotson & Samuel gobbling up about 300 targets. 

How many targets in 2024?

We’re going to learn a lot about the top 4 TEs & who’s the best prospect over the next 3 months. I think it was @e16bball but I remember someone saying how important Mayer’s 40 time is for his & his short shuttle. Same with Darnell Washington. If neither of them move very well then Mayer could slip to the 2nd & Darnell Washington to the 3rd.

I think Mayer has a lot to prove at the combine too. He has almost a short and stocky build, almost looks like a fullback out there. Unless he blows up the combine, I probably won't be pounding the table for him. 

TEAM PICKS

16: R1 P16 OT Broderick Jones - Georgia
47: R2 P16 C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota
98: R3 P35 LB Jeremy Banks - Tennessee
118: R4 P16 G Emil Ekiyor Jr. - Alabama
151: R5 P16 TE Sam LaPorta - Iowa
191: R6 P16 RB Mohamed Ibrahim - Minnesota
231: R7 P16 CB Keidron Smith - Kentucky
249: R7 P34 K Jake Moody - Michigan
Fanspeak Mock Draft. Little Early. 
I think it’s pretty good. I would be happy. 
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

TEAM PICKS

16: R1 P16 OT Broderick Jones - Georgia
47: R2 P16 C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota
98: R3 P35 LB Jeremy Banks - Tennessee
118: R4 P16 G Emil Ekiyor Jr. - Alabama
151: R5 P16 TE Sam LaPorta - Iowa
191: R6 P16 RB Mohamed Ibrahim - Minnesota
231: R7 P16 CB Keidron Smith - Kentucky
249: R7 P34 K Jake Moody - Michigan
Fanspeak Mock Draft. Little Early. 
I think it’s pretty good. I would be happy. 

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect