Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

8 minutes ago, R T said:

Yes, I watch the presser and I saw a guy who was politely trying to explain that it is a process. The more reps they get together as a unit the better the production will be and allow them to be more aggressive as the season goes on. How aggressive will be a week-to-week thing and based on the team they are playing. As much as some fans love and need to blame someone every time the Packers lose a game, because that is what losers do, it is an overreaction 5 weeks into the season. If the Packers leadership is what I think they are, they are only looking inward to improve and not partaking in a counterproductive blame game. Way too early for all the panic.    

In my opinion the losers are the ones that ignore repeated failures and chastise those who point them out. This isn't an elite defense for the past decade that's having a rough start (like our offense which I've repeatedly defended) this is a continuation of a decades worth of mediocrity that's cost us multiple championships. Only now with an investment of a decades worth of 1st round picks and multiple FA contracts, with no change in result.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, R T said:

Yes, I watch the presser and I saw a guy who was politely trying to explain that it is a process. The more reps they get together as a unit the better the production will be and allow them to be more aggressive as the season goes on. How aggressive will be a week-to-week thing and based on the team they are playing. As much as some fans love and need to blame someone every time the Packers lose a game, because that is what losers do, it is an overreaction 5 weeks into the season. If the Packers leadership is what I think they are, they are only looking inward to improve and not partaking in a counterproductive blame game. Way too early for all the panic.    

My only response to this would be, what part of Barry's past gives you confidence of a turn around into a stable, consistent group week after week especially when we start to face better QBs/offenses? The guy has literally bottomed out in every past gig but the rationale/excuse has been "well the talent level was low." That shouldn't the case with this unit, especially in year 2 of the scheme. I would see it more your way above in terms of growth/gelling as a unit in year 1, but it's tough for me to get there in year 2 with predominantly the exact same cast of players. 

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

In my opinion the losers are the ones that ignore repeated failures and chastise those who point them out. This isn't an elite defense for the past decade that's having a rough start (like our offense which I've repeatedly defended) this is a continuation of a decades worth of mediocrity that's cost us multiple championships. Only now with an investment of a decades worth of 1st round picks and multiple FA contracts, with no change in result.

There is a difference between pointing out failures and blaming. There are no problems only solutions and I have no doubt that is the way Barry and all of the Packer's staff is approaching their tasks day to day and week to week. 

I get your frustrations with the past and the want for a dominating defense, but it's the NFL and not UW-Oshkosh playing Lawrence or Beloit, everyone scores on everyone in the NFL. The difference between a top 5 defense and mediocrity is not much.   

44 minutes ago, R T said:

The more reps they get together as a unit the better the production will be

Why does this defense out of all teams need more reps together? They are almost unchanged from last year especially in the secondary. These are the same safeties, the same CBs except adding a blue chip CB, the same OLB, and the almost the same DL. There are only 2 new starters on the whole defense and one a DE is a clear upgrade of the DE that we had before him. The other an ILB is a first round pick replacing the 3rd safety that was probably our worst starter on D from last year. It shouldn't take till week 5 for more reps to matter. This should have been a finely tuned machine since the start of the season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Process my butt.  It's basically last year's team with even more talented players.  There's no reason this defense hasn't progressed more than it has and played as it has.  The talent is there .. the scheming so far is not.  No panic .. yet .. Barry has to prove it or lose it.

43 minutes ago, R T said:

There is a difference between pointing out failures and blaming. There are no problems only solutions and I have no doubt that is the way Barry and all of the Packer's staff is approaching their tasks day to day and week to week. 

I get your frustrations with the past and the want for a dominating defense, but it's the NFL and not UW-Oshkosh playing Lawrence or Beloit, everyone scores on everyone in the NFL. The difference between a top 5 defense and mediocrity is not much.   

It isn't .. that's why coaching/scheming with the d talent available is the key.  

53 minutes ago, R T said:

If you look at Barry's track record, either he was the problem and the solution was moving on from him, or....

He's not good enough to figure out a solution to a problem himself.  At least for his past jobs.

Maybe he's changed or evolved.  We shall see.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

It isn't .. that's why coaching/scheming with the d talent available is the key.  

I'm frustrated too, but is the scheme the problem or the players or both.  Let's say Barry allows them to play aggressive man on man defense and we get burnt for big plays downfield and continue to lose because of it.  Is that then Barry's fault too or is that on the players.  As we are all aware, getting drafted in the first or second round does not automatically make you a great player in the NFL.  It seems to me that the only problem pass defense wise that needs to be fixed is the crossing routes.  Recognition and communication are the key ingredients that need to be enhanced if the players are athletically gifted enough.  On running plays, I sometimes don't see a hard edge formed by the outside linebacker to force the ball carrier back inside or one or both of the defensive tackles lane integrity is off creating seams.  These are correctable mistakes and its on the players to make them.  I think the players know what the scheme is trying to do...now they just need to be disciplined enough to do it.

2 hours ago, R T said:

But it is the most talented D the Packers have had in years, ranked 23rd by DVOA while playing Cousins, Fields, Brady without weapons, Zappe, and Daniel Jones.

56 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Maaybe the problem (for the Packers) is less about zone and more about off coverage as opposed to press coverage.

Oh I think this is definitely the case. Barry keeps yielding short passes because of all the off coverage which is the thing that negates our strength getting pressure on the QB.

Barry is weakening his biggest strength by letting opposing offenses have those yards.

"Here offense, take the short passes!"

"Um, sure ok. Because we WERE worried about your front 7 getting pressure but now we're less so?"

• Like 1

This defense needs to generate more turnovers. I *think* Barry got the message loud and clear and things are going to look different going forward. 

Thus, knowing this team, if we jack up the aggression we're going to force a couple turnovers. So I predict we generate the most turnovers of the year for our defense on Sunday.

36 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This defense needs to generate more turnovers. I *think* Barry got the message loud and clear and things are going to look different going forward. 

Thus, knowing this team, if we jack up the aggression we're going to force a couple turnovers. So I predict we generate the most turnovers of the year for our defense on Sunday.

If he didn't, he's both deaf and stupid. If he didn't, MLF needs to think long and hard about replacing him because he doesn't listen and doesn't learn from his mistakes.