Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

If we end up picking this high (or higher) Jalen Carter is who Im hoping for. THAT is a guy who would change the entire defense

Carter is the guy everyone should be hoping for…but he is the best player in the draft and I doubt he would get to #6

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Carter is the guy everyone should be hoping for…but he is the best player in the draft and I doubt he would get to #6

New Orleans still hosts Carolina and Atlanta

Raiders still play at Pittsburgh and Denver & host NE

Pittsburgh still has to play Atlanta, Carolina and Vegas

Hopefully those teams beat up on one another and the Bears go up another slot or two

keep these beautiful losses coming  !

stupid Houston looking like a lock ...which is fine bc they need a qb

then  its PIT, Det and LV 

put velus back on PR that should help  ...JJ and Tevin to IR last 5 games keep them healthy 

find a way to sit JF 2 games

we got this  !!

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think we'll end up low enough to get Carter but if we do then he's an obvious pick. If not though then I just want us to trade down and get some more picks. I'm sure one team will be desperate enough to trade up for a QB not named Young or Stroud 

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think we'll end up low enough to get Carter but if we do then he's an obvious pick. If not though then I just want us to trade down and get some more picks. I'm sure one team will be desperate enough to trade up for a QB not named Young or Stroud 

If Carter isn’t there then I suspect that would be Poles preference…we aren’t just 1 player away here from being try contenders so if you can’t get the perfect fit for your scheme then why not move back and keep adding young talent?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If Carter isn’t there then I suspect that would be Poles preference…we aren’t just 1 player away here from being try contenders so if you can’t get the perfect fit for your scheme then why not move back and keep adding young talent?

We're so lacking in talent on defense we could start building to any scheme and not have much if a difference in need. Might need to just get talent THEN decide the system. Lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Ideally we want to be in a spot with a QB on board that someone wants and we trade back. 

That or we are in position to draft a near sure fire blue chip player.   Games are won by QBs and blue chip players.   Blue chippers are force multipliers. 

If neither of those are true and you can get a value trade than make it.

But don't take a blue chip RB or off ball LB.   Middle of offense and defense in NFL is made by lines.   The OL makes RB good more so than other way around.  DL makes LBs good more so than other way around.

Great RBs and LBs are not worthless.  They are great to have.  But they are not more important relatively speaking.  The OL and DL are vitally important.  

This is the lesson many GMS have been slow to learn.  And one of few things analytics community has absolutely correct.  

There are lots of great 230 lb athletes in world.   There are far fewer great 330 lb. athletes.   It's supply and demand.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Does he make it to #6? Unlikely, but I think he very well could make it to #5, and we could absolutely end up there after dropping this one to Detroit.

I think its very likely the 2 QBs go in the Top 4 picks, Anderson likely should go ahead of Carter as well, and if the other team infront of us is the Raiders, they could easily completely screw up the pick (other teams may fall into this category as well) And suddenly, arguably the best player in the draft has slipped just a bit because hes a DT and we are laughing our way to the bank with a Franchise Defender

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Does he make it to #6? Unlikely, but I think he very well could make it to #5, and we could absolutely end up there after dropping this one to Detroit.

I think its very likely the 2 QBs go in the Top 4 picks, Anderson likely should go ahead of Carter as well, and if the other team infront of us is the Raiders, they could easily completely screw up the pick (other teams may fall into this category as well) And suddenly, arguably the best player in the draft has slipped just a bit because hes a DT and we are laughing our way to the bank with a Franchise Defender

If he gets to #5…4 teams screwed up.

18 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If he gets to #5…4 teams screwed up.

happens every single year

The QB position is exponentially more important than the DL. Cant say Id blame anyone for choosing Anderson over him. So in my eyes, it only takes one team to "screw up" and if one of the contestants are the Raiders, I like our chances

• Like 2

While Carter is by far the guy im most hoping for with our #1.... I think some perspective is also needed as to the draft itself..

Aaron Donald barely made the top 15 in his draft class, and he was twice the prospect coming out that Carter is, imo. There's a pretty reasonable argument to make that this draft class is much weaker on the top of pyramid.

One guy that's rising up my boards more and more is the wr Hyatt from Tennessee. Most draft boards have him being there for our second rounder, but I like him more than most of the guys listed as first rounders right now. Doubtful he ends up in our range without some trade down or up, but he'd be the perfect type of wr to hook up with fields. 

Two other guys I've been very intrigued by are the Baylor NT (projected mid 2nd) who in a dream scenario where we land carter in 1, that guy next to him would give us a massively massively improved dl interior and the ability to get interior pressure at will. 

And then as a late round flyer, there's a Bama wr xfer from Louisville who is likely to be the fastest kid in the draft. He's raw... But we're talking potential 4.20 speed

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

While Carter is by far the guy im most hoping for with our #1.... I think some perspective is also needed as to the draft itself..

Aaron Donald barely made the top 15 in his draft class, and he was twice the prospect coming out that Carter is, imo. There's a pretty reasonable argument to make that this draft class is much weaker on the top of pyramid.

One guy that's rising up my boards more and more is the wr Hyatt from Tennessee. Most draft boards have him being there for our second rounder, but I like him more than most of the guys listed as first rounders right now. Doubtful he ends up in our range without some trade down or up, but he'd be the perfect type of wr to hook up with fields. 

Two other guys I've been very intrigued by are the Baylor NT (projected mid 2nd) who in a dream scenario where we land carter in 1, that guy next to him would give us a massively massively improved dl interior and the ability to get interior pressure at will. 

And then as a late round flyer, there's a Bama wr xfer from Louisville who is likely to be the fastest kid in the draft. He's raw... But we're talking potential 4.20 speed

What I have been wondering about Hyatt is can he run a full r close to full route tree and good, or is he just a speed guy. I haven't watched much of their games so I don't know, but he has intrigued me.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Carter is by far the guy im most hoping for with our #1.... 

Carter all day  yes please 

. def with you on Siaki Ika  ! dude is a beAST, would be huge to somehow snag him w the Ravens pick  

also Oregon Brandon Dorlus later on  is someone else I have my eye on ...he single-handedly wrecked the BYU game, byu has  grown men on the OL, Dorlus domINATED  

Edited by SLCbear

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

We're so lacking in talent on defense we could start building to any scheme and not have much if a difference in need. Might need to just get talent THEN decide the system. Lol. 

I get  the sentiment and it is more or less correct but Flus's frameworks  require a dominant 3tech, edge and CB

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I get  the sentiment and it is more or less correct but Flus's frameworks  require a dominant 3tech, edge and CB

WILL needs to he a playmaker too but yeah. Honestly any defense would benefit from a dominant IDL and EDGE though. The less you blitz and manufacture pressure the higher pressure you put on a few specific roles. 

But honestly I want to see them adapt the defense. We blitz less that 15% of the time but just last week we had several impactful plays while doing so. We are seeing Gields and Getsy gel and get comfortable together, and now we have lost our best 4 players form last year (Mack, Smith, Quinn, Hicks). The defense is devoid of talent so rushing 4 isn't going to work. So now to me Williams needs to prove he can orchestrate a defense. He needs to manufacture pressure on opposing QBs. Blitz, use stunts, etc. 

Honestly what's the worst that happens? You give up more than the normal 30 ppg? So what?  At least you test yourself, the players, and show you're not a bum. Fox was hated by me because he seemed content to lose close rather than fight for a win with a risk of getting his *** kicked. It's cowardly.

This is the perfect time to try things and see if players thrive in specific roles. I always though Bullard and Floyd would be a hell of a duo with stunts but Fangio never really did focus on it, Bullard had to bulk up to be a 5T and Floyd was a poor EDGE rusher until Mack came in. 

• Like 1