Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

12rh overall? Hopefully get another Gary type player or better.

You have to suck every once in awhile to stay good in the NFL, unless you’re the pats with bill and Brady.

Fire Barry and replenish the roster the season. You had a few promising looking players from 2022. Need a few more draft picks and a free agent or two for 2023 and they’ll be back on track. 

Put Steno back as OL coach.  Need a decent OC as well as DC.  I don't know if this team can be salvaged.  Tried to run it back one more time and it failed miserably.  Tough spot for the Packers.  No good answer.  Blow it up or try to add a few pieces with some coaching changes and try again.  Sure Gutey is kicking himself for not trading Aaron when he had the chance.  Doubt he saw this coming.  I mean did anyone see this coming?  

6 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Put Steno back as OL coach.  Need a decent OC as well as DC.  I don't know if this team can be salvaged.  Tried to run it back one more time and it failed miserably.  Tough spot for the Packers.  No good answer.  Blow it up or try to add a few pieces with some coaching changes and try again.  Sure Gutey is kicking himself for not trading Aaron when he had the chance.  Doubt he saw this coming.  I mean did anyone see this coming?  

We learned this season how much pull a Great-to-Elite QB really has on a receiving corps. One a scale of 1-10 such QBs can only boost their receivers by one or two points, and we just have a bunch of 4s and 5s to throw to. Given the high bar of competence at the NFL, that just won't cut it.

11 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

We learned this season how much pull a Great-to-Elite QB really has on a receiving corps. One a scale of 1-10 such QBs can only boost their receivers by one or two points, and we just have a bunch of 4s and 5s to throw to. Given the high bar of competence at the NFL, that just won't cut it.

Agreed. They’ll young ones will be better next year and some other upgrades will need to be made as well. 

10 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

WR's are young but Rodgers has talent to work with.  Watson, Doubs, Cobb, Lazard, and Watkins it not a horrible group.  Brady has worked with a lot less.  Not sure I agree with that statement.  Rodgers hasn't played well this year either. 

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

WR's are young but Rodgers has talent to work with.  Watson, Doubs, Cobb, Lazard, and Watkins it not a horrible group.  Brady has worked with a lot less.  Not sure I agree with that statement.  Rodgers hasn't played well this year either. 

Talent sure, but that's mostly a ceiling that's yet to be reached. Watson and Doubbs can reach a higher number but they're not there yet. I wouldn't rate anyone else around the level of 6. And mind you, that's if the QB is a pure JAG-level passer.

I'd also agree Rodgers isn't at an Elite level and 'Great' might possibly be pushing it. Even so the argument has often been an excellent QB elevates the WRs around him, and this year really forces a recalibration of that old formula.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Brady has never worked with less. Since they got Moss and Welker in '07 Brady has had excellent receivers and tight ends every year of his career.

Our WRs are a bottom five unit before you account for the time missed with injury. Luckily Watson and Doubs will be improved next season to help Jordan Love out and hopefully the resign Lazard, but right now this has been a consistently terrible unit.

Let's say we really tank the **** out of this thing.

We get Skoronski in R1. 

Bakh-Jenkins-Myers-Tom-Skoronski works for next year. That should be an ELITE pass blocking OL. I still worry a bit about Tom's lack of pure drive skills at Guard, but that is a group with athletes at every spot. Yosh fills in at OT when Bakhtiari eventually gets hurt. I like that group. It's got an identity. You probably need another body next year with a high pick once Bakh is gone. Whether one of the Guards move out to Tackle, or you fill in with a rookie, it doesn't really matter, but you need another high caliber body. 

We shoot for somebody like Foskey in R2.

You need a 3rd body in this rotation behind (and to back up) Preston and Gary, especially to come in for the pressure packages. I like Enagbare well enough, but he's not impacting any of the draft plans. 

+++

Need a RB at some point, even if it is just a developmental body. Something's gotta give in regards to Jones' cap 

Could also use a WR or a TE. Lazard and Tonyan both being in walk years means you're probably looking at something here even if it is just another body to fill in behind Watson/Doubs.

Similar situation with Savage. Could use another Safety. 

• Like 2

Time to shed the grey hair on this team and use the roster spots to raid other team's PSs. Time to part ways with Crosby, Lewis, Sammy, and Cobb. None of those names are likely to be on the team next year anyhow. That frees up 4 roster spots for Practice Squad claims. Look for young talent at K, and TE, maybe OL, and WR.  Fact is we could use help everywhere. 

What we need for the tank this weekend:

Bears @ Falcons - Probably the easiest remaining game for the Falcons so would be good to see them win.

Eagles @ Colts - Shouldn't be close, but maybe there's Jeff Saturday magic.

Commanders @ Texans - No chance we catch Houston so just have to hope Washington keeps finding wins

Rams @ Saints - Win/win for the Packers, I guess. Both of these teams have their #1s going to other teams and each have two games that should be winnable left on their schedule (and of course NFL chaos). Rams will have a chance to get head to head over the Packers though so...go Saints?

Browns @ Bills (In Detroit) - Would be nice if the Browns could eke one out here. Maybe Allen's erratic play and the whole blizzard thing will throw Buffalo off for an upset.

Panthers @ Ravens - Yeah this won't happen.

Lions @ Giants - The Giants keep finding ways to win so I don't see Detroit stealing a win here...but who knows.

Raiders @ Broncos - Kind of a win/win spot here. Hard to see many more wins for the Raiders, though. So we want the Broncos.

Bengals @ Steelers - Steelers have a few more winnable games after this one, but any distance they can create to move the Packers up would be great.

49ers @ Cardinals - Hard to see the Cardinals winning this but hopefully they can steal one because they have a rough closing schedule.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Let's say we really tank the **** out of this thing.

We get Skoronski in R1. 

Bakh-Jenkins-Myers-Tom-Skoronski works for next year. That should be an ELITE pass blocking OL. I still worry a bit about Tom's lack of pure drive skills at Guard, but that is a group with athletes at every spot. Yosh fills in at OT when Bakhtiari eventually gets hurt. I like that group. It's got an identity. You probably need another body next year with a high pick once Bakh is gone. Whether one of the Guards move out to Tackle, or you fill in with a rookie, it doesn't really matter, but you need another high caliber body. 

We shoot for somebody like Foskey in R2.

You need a 3rd body in this rotation behind (and to back up) Preston and Gary, especially to come in for the pressure packages. I like Enagbare well enough, but he's not impacting any of the draft plans. 

+++

Need a RB at some point, even if it is just a developmental body. Something's gotta give in regards to Jones' cap 

Could also use a WR or a TE. Lazard and Tonyan both being in walk years means you're probably looking at something here even if it is just another body to fill in behind Watson/Doubs.

Similar situation with Savage. Could use another Safety. 

Yep exactly right.  OT OLB S RB.  Think I'd look to FA for a TE.  They take awhile to develop.  I'll add IDL as well.  Clark, Wyatt, and Slayton is about all we have there.  Could use more depth. Not sure Lowry or Reed will be back next year. 

The thing I fear with the Packers is that our GM and head coach out of fear of getting fired will panic and mortgage the future even more due to pressure of our spoiled fanbase.

They need to just be honest and say it's time to rebuild and get all these big contracts off the books. That's what got Pace fired in Chicago. Making dumb decisions to keep his and his head coaches jobs.

No more running it back! Time to say goodbye to Rodgers, Jones, Bak, Amos and Smith. Let those guys go elsewhere to pursue a ring because it's not happening here.

Keep Barry in the Tank drivers seat for the remainder of the season to insure a good draft position.