2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

Just now, KingTitan said:

Can help extend someone maybe though. I'd hate to wait that long for Simmons, but could be used for someone like that. 

Extending someone wouldn't raise their cap hit for 2023 though. Would be better off taking the dead money this year.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

Extending someone wouldn't raise their cap hit for 2023 though. Would be better off taking the dead money this year.

Well I guess it depends on the plan. Can't see them finding a better option before the draft. Unless they just say F it, we going to get a QB one way or another, he will be back. 

Or 
If they believe in Willis or someone else they think they can get similar results for cheaper and release him before June for the $17 million or so, then yeah I don't see a reason to release him. 

They could try for a trade maybe and use Tannehill's money to soak up a potential hit? 
Dunno.

They can get a nice piece of money cutting him, but what will you do to replace him if you do so. 

The more I think of it, I'm not opposed to going to get Trey Lance.
I don't think he will cost as much as people think.  Niners have no real reason to give him up, seeing he isn't costing much.

But say you give up at most an 2nd round pick. Nobody is giving up an 1st. 
And even if that was the cost that we were willing to pay, why not trade down, if you find a partner to about 20. Gain some capital, then trade that 1st. 
Use the capital to hit a couple triples.  Get some good talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 
Sign some FA by trading Tannehill. Have Willis and Dobbs battle it out for the back up. 

The niners offensive line isn't full of 1st rounders. Traded for Trent Williams. Drafted Mike McGlinchey.
The rest of their O-Line is an 2nd rounder, 4th rounder, 6th rounder and/or undrafted guys.  
You don't have to sink a million picks in the line to improve it. 

Not trying to be roasted or attacked for this idea. lol Just something rattling around. I wouldn't hate it.

Lance has the tools that could be built upon with a new OC and scheme. 

I was just thinking at some point we have to go get a QB. I don't see us being in range to even trade a reasonable amount to go up and get one. 
Might have to get creative how we do get a young gun.

Just an idea 

But why would the Niners trade him?

Only reason would be if he’s not worth keeping around, so either you’re paying a second round pick for a quarterback that they don’t think is worth keeping on their roster.

If he’s a decent QB, or even if they just think he will be a decent QB in the near future, they wouldn’t want to offload him at all.

• Like 4

Yeah, the Lance idea is fun to discuss but realistically like Daniel said, why would the 49ers trade him at this point? They traded a boatload to go up and draft him, and they’ll get rid of him after he got injured 2 games into his 2nd year? It honestly doesn’t make sense to me.

At best/worst depending on how you view it, they can go into 2023 with a QB competition between two young cheap QBs. Then maybe in 2024, they can decide if they should move on or not from him.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

But why would the Niners trade him?

Only reason would be if he’s not worth keeping around, so either you’re paying a second round pick for a quarterback that they don’t think is worth keeping on their roster.

If he’s a decent QB, or even if they just think he will be a decent QB in the near future, they wouldn’t want to offload him at all.

Yeah I don't know. 

Like I said they could keep him with no real cost. 

It would be just to try to get some draft capital out him while they can. Value will only go down from here as bis contract shrinks. 

If they run it back with Purdy or get Brady, it makes.him disposable. Get some money off the cap and some draft picks. 

Kinds like Patriot's did with Jimmy G. He bad some value, didn't need hint. Rather than risk him walking in a season or two. Get something now. 

That would be the only reason and it. It be because they think he isn't good. Lol 

Or 

They don't think he fits anything they doing and admit a mistake. 

Dunno. 

Yeah, I really liked Trey Lance (and still do) as a prospect, and think he has the goods to potentially turn into an elite level QB. It's impossible to make a proclamation on him right now, because he simply hasn't played enough to make any sort of call on what he's ultimately going to turn into as an NFL player.

I see the argument for not trading him, because with his current contract you really don't need to, and they sunk a lot of picks into going up and getting him so that plays a factor too. However, I find it hard to believe that Purdy could potentially go win the Niners a Super Bowl and they're going to just go back to Trey next year? That doesn't really add up.

They're obviously in a great situation as a Franchise having two young and cheap QBs contract wise that they think very highly of, but King is right in saying that every year that they wait on a Trey trade if they decide to go that route the more the value goes down.

An argument could be made on the San Fran side that if they deem Brock Purdy as THE guy that the time to strike on a Trey Lance trade is this offseason, because every year they wait is another year off of Trey's rookie contract and another year his value goes down if he ends up sitting behind Brock Purdy on the depth chart.

San Fran is in a great spot, and they certainly don't have to do anything on the trade front with Trey, but I guess a lot of it kinda depends on if Purdy keeps rolling here in the playoffs.

The good thing for us is that our new GM is as dialed in as anyone possibly could be with what the Niners are thinking about their QB room, and if there's a deal to be made for Trey, I'd put our guy at the top of the list of GMs that could make it happen given the relationship.