Las Vegas Stidhams V. The Kansas City Mahomies - SEASON FANALE!!!!!

Totty

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Good post, it’s impossible to know what Carr would have done with the same supporting cast today, it’s pretty pointless to say ‘Carr would have dove this or that’ because quite obviously we can’t know and there can’t be any productive discussion about it.

What is absolutely clear is that this roster needs a lot of work. Luckily the weaknesses are clear and we should be able to rectify DT, OG and CB this off season and add some depth in Free Agency. Las Vegas should still be a positive destination with the tax situation and facilities. I really don’t know if McDaniels is good or terrible at this stage. We should find out definitively next year. I’d actually secretly like to plonk Brady straight into this team with no changes just to see what would happen……..that would answer a lot of questions 😁

My take away from the game was there was not a single moment in the game that I said to myself "we could have used Derek Carr there" and that speaks to how I've felt about Carr. He's not a problem, but he's not a solution either.

This season really highlighted how poorly the last regime built the roster, which we don't need to beat a dead horse at this point.

The silver lining is the Raiders have dudes in the key spots. They have a solid LT. They have the #1 WR. They have a premier edge rusher. Those spots are hard to get right, so that is a plus. 

Now they have to get the complimentary pieces. CB, S, LB, DT, OG WR2. They have the resources to do that. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Even when he decided not to take the Indy job at the last possible second even though it was verbally agreed upon and he was flying out there he still managed to pitch the narrative that things were not 100% agreed-upon and thus there was discrepancies with how the team would be run which was his justification for the out.  The truth is he just changed his mind at the last second and blamed others.

So tired of the false narrative around this.... 

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/why-mcdaniels-actually-ditched-colts

"It had everything to do with stuff that fans don't care about," Breer told The Ross Tucker Football Podcast. "How is strength and conditioning going to set up? Who does medical report to? How does video work? It was all these structural things that, as much work that (Chris) Ballard and Josh (McDaniels) had done and said 'okay, this is how we are going to set it up," somehow, they didn't get around to doing all of that. And Ballard had come form a place and places where the general manager set that up, and Josh had come from a place where the coach had power over all of that. That's where it sort of fell apart. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/26/josh-mcdaniels-conversations-with-belichick-kraft-provided-clarity-on-role/

“Once I heard from Robert and Bill on that Tuesday, it just gave me reason to pause and consider this whole situation,’’ McDaniels said. “The opportunity to stay here and work for who I think is the greatest owner in sports and the best head football coach in the history of our game, to work with the best quarterback that has ever played. . . . Look, I’m privileged to have the opportunity to do that and when they kind of crystallized that — ‘Hey, here’s what we see going forward and here’s how we would like you to fit into it’ — it gave me a reason to stop and say, ‘All right, what’s the best decision for me?’ And certainly it was difficult. But I made the decision on my own, nobody pushed me into it.’’

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

This team lost two games all season by more than one score. We’re not as far away as people think 

The Jaguars and Giants had depleted rosters, voted to be worst in their division or 3rd and made the playoffs. With the right moves we can be in the mix of it.

The sky isn’t falling without an average QB

To the bolded: that's all well and good when have a team with low expectations or is ascendant. However, the Raiders were primed to make the playoffs this season. Instead, the defense looked as bad as it has ever looked and the offense couldn't get a yard when it really needed it.

But, the main issue is that the vibes are really off with this team. I don't know if its coming from McDaniels, Davis, or something/someone else, but the team just feels in a bad place. I could be convinced in making a play at Bryce Young, but I do not believe any available veteran quarterback is going to push this team forward in a significant way.

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

People also are misinterpreting that this is a culture shift from the Gruden era.

”Toughness and Accountability” 

Patrick Graham. Alex Bars. 

I was no Gruden fan, but "accountability" in the NFL always always means accountability for thee but not for me. Coaches are understanding and patient for the guys they bring in and tougher on guys from a previous regime. 

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

9th most cap space currently and 11-13 draft picks before they move Carr. 

Should be plenty of resources to get some legit starters in here in my view. 

Not even counting a potential trade down or a Waller move. 

I don't see why we couldn't flesh out a pretty good roster, at least on paper pending actual results, over the next two drafts. 

I'm simply not expecting much for 2023. My sights are 2024 and beyond at this juncture. Where I think people are going wrong is assuming we'll make a lot of the necessary improvements over one off-season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not even counting a potential trade down or a Waller move. 

I don't see why we couldn't flesh out a pretty good roster, at least on paper pending actual results, over the next two drafts. 

I'm simply not expecting much for 2023. My sights are 2024 and beyond at this juncture. Where I think people are going wrong is assuming we'll make a lot of the necessary improvements over one off-season.

Its Brady or bust thought process 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Same. I was optimistic with JMD, knowing full well he was going to be hated from day 1 given his past. 

I am rooting for him to get it right, because how much more of this musical HC thing can we take! But it was not a good audition. Next year, he gets his choice of QB and they can beef the roster up... he has to make it work. 

Completely agree. Underwhelming to say the least this year and now his future will always have the shadow of Carr lurking over him unless he gets it right. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

To the bolded: that's all well and good when have a team with low expectations or is ascendant. However, the Raiders were primed to make the playoffs this season. Instead, the defense looked as bad as it has ever looked and the offense couldn't get a yard when it really needed it.

But, the main issue is that the vibes are really off with this team. I don't know if its coming from McDaniels, Davis, or something/someone else, but the team just feels in a bad place. I could be convinced in making a play at Bryce Young, but I do not believe any available veteran quarterback is going to push this team forward in a significant way.

Patrick Graham. Alex Bars. 

I was no Gruden fan, but "accountability" in the NFL always always means accountability for thee but not for me. Coaches are understanding and patient for the guys they bring in and tougher on guys from a previous regime. 

You’re forgetting that last year we won a lot of one score games and overmatch other teams ravaged with protocols inactives. Those didn’t go our way this season. We not as bad as you think this year and also we weren’t as good as you thought last season.

That’s the thing with the NFL, you’re not too far away from contending with the right moves if you have an young or elite QB

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Look like Harbaugh or Peyton are heading to Denver.  They will have Wilson playing better

That is bad news if true though I wouldn’t have thought either would want to be tied up with that mess. I’d be pissed if Harbaugh went there as I really wanted him in Vegas.

13 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

It would actually hurt us more than it would hurt him because the other teams wouldn't trade knowing that the Raiders have to cut him After a certain point in order to not have to pay him. 

Depends on how big of a pay cut he has to take for a team to sign him.  I do not think he gets more than $25-30 on a 1 year deal if he signs as a FA.  I think a $15 million haircut hurts him more than us losing a 2nd round pick.  It wold suck either way.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Depends on how big of a pay cut he has to take for a team to sign him.  I do not think he gets more than $25-30 on a 1 year deal if he signs as a FA.  I think a $15 million haircut hurts him more than us losing a 2nd round pick.  It wold suck either way.

I think the raiders cut him. Teams know that the Raiders don’t want to be on the hook for his contract and they’ll wait. There’s lots of options this offseason with QBs i doubt anyone is clamoring for Carr. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree mostly. Gruden to McDaniels is a wash. Gruden however screwed the team with poor drafting alone. 

It's going to be hard to judge any coach until they have proper talent to work with. That falls on DZ to get things right in the draft. He has all the resources available this offseason to take a step in the right direction. 

Regarding Leatherwood. He was a healthy scratch for the Bears last week. He sucks.... and that doesn't bode well for his future.  

It is true that Gruden is a horrible talent evaluator but in game coaching Gruden is better than JMD.  Just the fire that Gruden carries for a full 60 makes him better than JMD who is a self proclaimed non motivator.  It is not just the blown leads.  We had other games where we did not play in the first half.  This team really thought that you only play for 30 minutes this year.

Chi is also trying to force Leatherwood into the right side of their line.  He belongs on the left side just like Parker and just like Miller is more of a RT.

Edited by drfrey13

2 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I think the raiders cut him. Teams know that the Raiders don’t want to be on the hook for his contract and they’ll wait. There’s lots of options this offseason with QBs i doubt anyone is clamoring for Carr. 

There are more QB needy teams then there are QBs.  Somebody will be willing to trade for him if they can agree to terms on a contract.