NFL announces scenarios for a neutral site AFC Championship

TheRealMcCoy

17 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Because by the NFL's own rule book, a cancelled game means it should go by win %. Rather than following their own rules, the league changed it.

This had pretty unique circumstances, and required more than black/white. But to each their own. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

It's kind of stupid about the coinflip. Aren't the bengals the division winner regardless? So they win the division, get the division winner schedule next year, but may not get a home playoff game? 

They are now. However had they loss, the Ravens and Bengals would have decided the division winner in week 18.

It’s not fair that they were handed the division when they have the worst divisional record. But this provides some consolation. But really if the Ravens won they should’ve gotten the division and instead of using win% used total wins, then H2H and divisional record to decide between a team with a cancelled game that might’ve had a similar win% if the game had naturally concluded. 

Since that’s not the case, I’d rather just rest our starters. A 50/50 coin flip is not enough incentive for me to want to potentially lose valuable starters.

And this isn’t a shot against Cincy because they very well could’ve won the division outright by beating the Bills. But nothing in this situation was ever going to be fair, so it’s whatever. We lose the division unfairly and they get the 1st place schedule unfairly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

They are now. However had they loss, the Ravens and Bengals would have decided the division winner in week 18.

It’s not fair that they were handed the division when they have the worst divisional record. But this provides some consolation. But really if the Ravens won they should’ve gotten the division and instead of using win% used total wins, then H2H and divisional record to decide between a team with a cancelled game that might’ve had a similar win% if the game had naturally concluded. 

Since that’s not the case, I’d rather just rest our starters. A 50/50 coin flip is not enough incentive for me to want to potentially lose valuable starters.

And this isn’t a shot against Cincy because they very well could’ve won the division outright by beating the Bills. But nothing in this situation was ever going to be fair, so it’s whatever. We lose the division unfairly and they get the 1st place schedule unfairly.

Okay, that makes more sense. I thought Cincy had the division regardless of the outcome in Buffalo. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

This had pretty unique circumstances, and required more than black/white. But to each their own. 

I get what you're saying, but the rule doesn't have exceptions nor have different types of cancellations. The NFL's own press release HERE says "... game will not be resumed and has been cancelled."

And as Joe Mixon shared HERE, "If a game is cancelled, a team's standing in its division or in its conference (e.g., qualification as a Wild Card in the playoffs or position in a playoff seeding) shall be determined on the basis of its final record. When necessary, playoff tiebreakers shall be calculated according to per game average for all teams."

So in this case, rule wise, it was black/white.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Well for this to be relevant you'll have to beat the Bengals and even with starters playing I don't see that as very likely. The Bengals have been hot winning 7 in a row including beating the Chiefs and having an early lead on the Bills before the game was cancelled. The Ravens haven't put up 20 points in a game in 6 weeks.

The actual rule would have eliminated them anyway so the new rule is at least a small benefit.

The Bengals got the worst of it, although it isn't that bad, but the message is don't allow games to cancelled.

23 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I get what you're saying, but the rule doesn't have exceptions nor have different types of cancellations. The NFL's own press release HERE says "... game will not be resumed and has been cancelled."

And as Joe Mixon shared HERE, "If a game is cancelled, a team's standing in its division or in its conference (e.g., qualification as a Wild Card in the playoffs or position in a playoff seeding) shall be determined on the basis of its final record. When necessary, playoff tiebreakers shall be calculated according to per game average for all teams."

So in this case, rule wise, it was black/white.

This I didn't know. If it's in the rules they should obviously just have followed them.

32 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So if KC wins Saturday, and then 2 of KC-Buff-Cinn make the AFC championship, its a neutral site? Seems like a pretty likely scenario

No, The Bengals couldn't have caught the Chiefs anyway if the Chiefs win Sunday. It would only matter if it's KC/Buff or Cincy/Buff assuming all win (or lose) out.

If the Chiefs lose and Bengals win then it would factor in.

First Things First mentioned a proposal of the odd team out hosting HFA. 

Meaning, if the neutral game was between BUF/KC you play it in CIN. If it's between CIN/KC you play in BUF. And if it's between BUF/CIN you play in KC.

Forgive me if this idea was mentioned already previously

Edited by Soggust

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

First Things First mentioned a proposal of the odd team out hosting HFA. 

Meaning, if the neutral game was between BUF/KC you play it in CIN. If it's between CIN/KC you play in BUF. And if it's between BUF/CIN you play in KC.

Forgive me if this idea was mentioned already previously

I don't think the NFL wants any neutral game in Cin... it's like an injury graveyard