TE Talk

nicfre2011

6 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Why do you keep going back to the team he is a fan of? Is he coaching their tight ends? You know you can be a fan of a team and still scout other teams players right? This is just a really strange place you keep going to.

Let the Minnesota fan live in his own world, it’s funnier this way :) 

Where does Darnell Washington go and who drafts him? 

It's a serious question. Everyone acknowledges that Washington would immediately be one of the best blocking TEs in the league. Yet, he has real value in the passing game. In a year with multiple TEs who show WR-grade route-running and pass-catching skills, how do you rate a TE who blocks like an OT?

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Let the Minnesota fan live in his own world, it’s funnier this way :) 

Looked back at my past lists and here are some more players who transitioned to TE in college from WR or QB or made the switch in the NFL, along with some who should have transitioned to TE but never did.  The change in offenses obviously made TE more of a HB position or even just a slot big body WR position.  Athletically if you fit the bill and are anywhere from 6-1 to 6-7 and weigh 235-260 yeah you might have a shot at TE in the NFL.  Sorry it is not the hardest position to learn in football, oh but Kittle and Kelce's success proves it, no it doesn't they are athletic outliers and basically slot WRs who play in line at times, Dawson Knox does the same thing as well.  Great athletes and route runners and simply put teams cannot defend it, period, that is why so many are moved to the position to try and create that mismatch.  Those guys also benefit from playing with two of the best QBs in the NFL and Kittle only plays for arguably the best offensive mind in the NFL, and Andy is obviously not offensive slouch either.

Delanie Walker is a great example of just a big body athletic WR, frame fits the mold and was outstanding at TE even though he was a little undersized. 

Darren Waller, WR in college and transitioned great to TE in the NFL as a big dude 6-6 235+.  Kelvin Benjamin maybe should have transitioned to TE earlier, is in the process trying to get back into the league.  

Devin Funchess did the opposite actually, transitioned out of TE to more of a WR spot and I think that was a big mistake.  Could have been better as a TE potentially long term, great athlete though for the size.  Evan Engram is another, was always a TE, I argued with someone back then who had him as the #1 WR.  Clearly I thought moving him to WR would be stupid and it is not surprise he is still as a TE, is not super great all around but is hard to handle at the position and still in the league producing after some ups and downs.  

Jared Cook played WR at South Carolina and transitioned to TE and was a monster player, they tired it again with Jerel Adams and just had him at TE the entire time.  

Tyrone Swoopes tried to to the QB transition, another one of them huh, never really turned out, needs to get in line with the rest.  Also MarQeis Gary made the switch to WR in college from QB or wild cat QB type, went well but in the NFL was obviously a TE type more of a HB kind of, another QB to the list along with Blake Bell.

Vance McDonald was basically a slot WR in college but listed at TE and had a solid career, should have been better though considering but was not in the best offensive systems for him.  Ladarius Green another really tall and thin TE in college but played as a big body slot WR basically and did have some success but obviously did not reach his full potential.  Josh Chichester should have switched to TE in college, never got a chance really in the league.  Cornelius Ingram former QB in college transitioned to a HB or TE spot, had a little success in the league.  

Justin Jones on East Carolina could never transition into the NFL as a TE, was a glorified big body slot WR in college but had ability.  Adam Breneman was a big TE, basically a WR in how he ran routes but had some success in college could not carry into the NFL.  

A little more current day, Cole Turner transition to TE from WR on Nevada and has a chance in the league.  Mark Vital tried to make the jump from basketball to TE, still not sure that will workout.  

Ahmad Wagner was a former basketball player, tried to make the switch to football in college but did it late.  Never really turned out but showed promise as a big body WR who could be a TE.

Gerrit Prince fits the part and could have a chance in the league, was very thin in college for a TE but was a stretch TE who could get vertical and was a good athlete.  

Going back a bit Bucky Hodges made the switch in college, former tall WR transitioned to more of a TE spot, same with Jason Croom on Tennessee.  

Travis Beckum transitioned over to TE from defense, was a bust in the league though but was always a little on the thin side for a TE and not super strong.  

Dustin Keller just stuck at TE in the right offense, was very similar to a WR a lot of the time, did not have the pro success he should have but was decent for a bid, super athlete a little undersized but so what he physically fit the bill.   Jermichael Finley they stuck him at TE in college, undersized but athletic and hard to handle in that offense, had a decent career before the injuries.  Josh Norman, another undersized guy, was a RB and WR in college, transitioned to TE in the NFL and was good but short lived.  Walter Young I always liked as a potential TE switch, was a very solid WR but never did gain any bulk for the TE spot and WR never worked out for him in the NFL.  

Scotty Washington currently trying to make that switch from WR to TE as a big body guy who added weight.  Devon Cajuste tried to make that switch to TE from WR never worked in the NFL.  

Derek Griffin, super athlete and former basketball player, transition to the NFL never worked as a former big body WR, actually tried WR and maybe was not thick enough for TE but had some other issues.  

Quincy Enunwa, then you got the HB types, more slot WR or slot TE type and he did well.   Noah Brown does the same now but is a good enough athlete to be moved around but is a HB at times, Niles Paul, had a good career considering and again a undersized HB type slot WR guy who was good, super short but made plays.  

Jeff Cumberland was back and for WR/TE in college, but it was the offense and stuck at TE in the NFL obviously.  Toddy Blythe and Mario Urrutia both should have played TE but never ended up sticking in the NFL.  Mike Williams and Vince Jackson types, one successful and one not, guess which one of those two played basketball by the way in college.  Williams did transition to TE late in his career if I recall correctly.  

Teyo Johnson was a promising tall WR transitioned to TE in the NFL but did not workout, had a little success though.  Kelley Washington is another, if played now he would have been a HB or TE type with a little added weight, he was great after the catch.  

Hank Baskett was one I was big on transitioning to TE, never did it but I thought he should have from WR.  Had ok success but not super high end.  Marques Colston in that offense basically was a TE or HB type and had great success.  Brandon Marshall could have been a TE now a days but was so good athletically could hang at WR no problem.  Anthony Mix should have stuck at TE, he had promise and massive size but never hung around.  These guys should have made the switch earlier in their college career to TE, Johnnie Morant, Ernest Wilford and Limas Sweed

Matt Trannon another former basketball player, transitioned to football in college, but was more of a WR should have been put at TE he had a lot of potential.  

You provide nothing, maybe you should get back to posting exactly that, maybe you can get to 57K posts today!  Oh this is just a bunch of nonsense, of course it is to someone who does not know who many of these guys are and never followed their college or pro careers.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I thought it was fairly well established that TEs, Safeties and RBs are pretty bad first round value

Not sure I agree about the Safety part of that, but depends on your defense, I think. I'm definitely more amenable to taking safety than either running back or tight end, that's for sure. 

But saying that they are worse to take than Running backs is a bit of a strong take .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Not sure I agree about the Safety part of that, but depends on your defense, I think. I'm definitely more amenable to taking safety than either running back or tight end, that's for sure. 

But saying that they are worse to take than Running backs is a bit of a strong take .

Seems like more TE's get justified 2nd contracts than RB's

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Seems like more TE's get justified 2nd contracts than RB's

TE slower to develop, possible peak is years 4-7 of NFL career.

RB can come in and be productive, yet their peak is probably 2-5.

Cost probably factors into 2nd contract.  Plus TE are key components on special teams units.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

TE slower to develop, possible peak is years 4-7 of NFL career.

RB can come in and be productive, yet their peak is probably 2-5.

Cost probably factors into 2nd contract.  Plus TE are key components on special teams units.

If anything, this further makes drafting TE a tall ask in the first round if you can't reliably get excessive value/performance out of their contract until its time to pay them.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:13 PM, onejayhawk said:

Where does Darnell Washington go and who drafts him? 

It's a serious question. Everyone acknowledges that Washington would immediately be one of the best blocking TEs in the league. Yet, he has real value in the passing game. In a year with multiple TEs who show WR-grade route-running and pass-catching skills, how do you rate a TE who blocks like an OT?

Real tough one. He’s one of the best blocking TE in the draft (Schoon is the best,imo), yet people are still saying Mayer is the best all-round TE and will go first. If not, they’re saying Kincaid will go first because he’s the best receiving TE. 

My guess is Washington goes late first round or early second, as the second TE off the board. 

Edited by Hunter2_1