The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

7 hours ago, M.10.E said:

If Lamar finished the last two seasons healthy I'd be much more comfortable giving him a fully guaranteed deal.

But he hasn't so adios it is I guess.

Where I disagree with your logic is that I don't care about cap space if this team isn't good. If Lamar gets injured or, as people say, gets figured out down the line, then this team is going to suck. If we have to cut Lamar because he keeps getting hurt, then this team is going to suck. We can easily gain cap space by trading expensive second contact players for quality picks and dumping late stage vets.

Cap space matters if the team is good. If the team is good, Lamar is good and healthy enough to play. If Lamar is good and healthy enough to play, then we aren't going to cut him. So why do we care about guaranteed money?

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The BR.com people really doing some excellent journalism here with this piece...Lamar Jackson's skillset is elite?! I never knew.

Translation: Lamar is on the block and we want to get as much as possible in trade compensation.

• Like 1

A few week ago I definitely thought we were going to sign Lamar no matter what. Now I’m completely on the other side I think 100% he is gone. I’m not blaming anyone I see so many people out there saying the Ravens are terrible for not paying him fire Harbaugh and Decosta which makes no sense to me. Until Lamar signs a contract with another team we won’t know what deal he truly wants but I 100% believe he wants fully guaranteed or very close to it. I don’t think Lamar is worth that. Mahomes is the only player worth that. I love Lamar and I really wish he would stay and I don’t have a problem with him trying to get his money but it’s just too much. He is a quarterback that has been injured the last 2 seasons he is proven that he is a dynamic runner of the ball that can throw but putting all the chips in ala Flacco I just don’t think it’s a good idea. We are in a very unique position. I’m my opinion we have a very talented roster on offense and defense and now we have this trade piece that can net us a kings ransom. we can build an ultimate team that almost any QB can win with. Personally I would love to get Stroud but I think they will sign a vet and see how that goes and maybe go all in next year on a QB

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

https://youtu.be/PVtUOc5lAfA

Stephen A Smith says Lamar's camp told him yesterday he never asked for a fully guaranteed deal.

Can't wait for Lamar to put out a tweet similar to the injury one he posted. This is the glaring downside keeping negotiations this private. You're gonna have a ton of speculation and random headlines. If Lamar/the Ravens don't like it, then they need to clear it up.

Edited by M.10.E

This is why I’m not getting into the noise of it all. I’m seeing different people say different things.

Stephen A is at least credible IMO. He’s bringing up a legit source vs just saying “sources” and keeping it moving. He’s quoting what the source told him directly. I trust that info a little more than a random source that isn’t direct quoted.

Sounds like the Ravens offered $133m fully guaranteed and based off Lamar’s numbers they offered another $50m or so in additional guarantees.

This is why I think a deal that gets Lamar to 75% guarantees makes sense. This is why I proposed the team does a 7 year/$310m/$232.5m guaranteed deal. It would give flexibility for the team and its cap and it allows Lamar to set the guaranteed record, without having a deal that’s fully guaranteed. Also by spreading the guarantees out, there’s not as much of a commitment on Bisciotti to have it right away as with the signing bonuses.

We've reached the duelling leaks stage of this which indicates to me that this is over. Both sides are just trying to control the narrative so that they don't get blamed as the unreasonable party when the divorce becomes official. If I had to guess on one team I'll call my shot and say he's going to be a Falcon and one of Pitts or London+ a boatload of picks are coming our way. Kinda hoping for Pitts just for the sake of having the funniest yet intriguing offense of all time running 3 "tight end" sets with Andrews, Pitts, and Likely. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

We've reached the duelling leaks stage of this which indicates to me that this is over. Both sides are just trying to control the narrative so that they don't get blamed as the unreasonable party when the divorce becomes official. If I had to guess on one team I'll call my shot and say he's going to be a Falcon and one of Pitts or London+ a boatload of picks are coming our way. Kinda hoping for Pitts just for the sake of having the funniest yet intriguing offense of all time running 3 "tight end" sets with Andrews, Pitts, and Likely. 

It will be hilarious if we get London. years of people crying for a number 1 wide out and we finally do when we ship out our QB 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Most people tend to be pointing to the Falcons so I'll call a different team just to seem prophetic if I end up being right.

The Panthers outbid their division rival and we get a 1st, three 2nds, a 3rd, and one of Jaycee Horn or DJ Moore. The Falcons are laughed at as a loser franchise yet again. Ravens fans are surprised at the haul - we think we'd get more. The Panthers win the division next year and get to the NFC Divisional but never get further than that in subsequent years.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

It's fine if you don't believe Stephen A. because I don't either to be honest with you but Hensley, Fowler, and even Zreberic don't know sh!t about what's going on so I would stop assuming either side is leaking this stuff or take what any of them say seriously.

Edited by BareYourTeeth

3 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

We've reached the duelling leaks stage of this which indicates to me that this is over.

This is what we should expect at this time. This is exactly the time for this posturing by both sides. The serious negotiations will happen between when Lamar gets hit with a tag (March 7th) and the start of the new year (March 15th).

They probably aren't even talking to each other yet. Like I literally don't think there has been a new offer shared by either side this offseason. The first move is on the Ravens to decide which tag. The real news will happen in 2 weeks and this will all be decided within 3 weeks.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2