Brady is retiring for the 2nd time

BroncoSojia

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

As Brady is considered by many to be the best NFL player of all time, I think it would be a grand gesture if his #12 was retired league-wide. The Raiders, who normally don't retire numbers, can simultaneously retire the number for Ken Stabler, since #12 would be out of circulation for all teams now. Players who are still wearing #12 would be grandfathered until they themselves retire.

Hell no.  Brady might be the GOAT but only 3 athletes have their number retired league-wide (at least in the US) and that's Robinson, Gretzky, and Russell.  I'm not too familiar with Gretzky outside of how insanely dominant he was, but Robinson and Russell's influence goes beyond the sport.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Hell no.  Brady might be the GOAT but only 3 athletes have their number retired league-wide (at least in the US) and that's Robinson, Gretzky, and Russell.  I'm not too familiar with Gretzky outside of how insanely dominant he was, but Robinson and Russell's influence goes beyond the sport.  

wait, Russell is retired league-wide? Did they make an exception for LeBron?

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

The NFL is the last big 4 league yet to retire a number league-wide. Brady is the perfect candidate.

53 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'd love to see the NFL tell Aaron Rodgers , pick another number. Would be comical on so many levels.

If Rodgers played next year he and others currently wearing #12 would be grandfathered like when MLB retired 42, the NHL retired 99, and the NBA retired 6.

Just now, pf9 said:

If Rodgers played next year he and others currently wearing #12 would be grandfathered like when MLB retired 42, the NHL retired 99, and the NBA retired 6.

Well you just took the fun out of it happening. Ray of sunshine you are. 😎

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pf9 said:

The NFL is the last big 4 league yet to retire a number league-wide. Brady is the perfect candidate.

As a falcons fans my reaction to this would be to bur a 12 jersey every week and have every player have a 12 on. Not happening. People need to hop of thos mans ****

Edited by Falconof Shadows

On 2/3/2023 at 6:46 PM, pf9 said:

The NFL also has many more players per team than any of those other leagues.    Retiring a number leaguewide isn't as big of a deal.

I agree if any number were to be retired, 12 would probably be the first, but I don't want it to happen.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It definitely read to me like he knows he's totally done forever. Didn't see any hints about playing again.

My take is that he’s not getting into the booth until NEXT season - but I’m less inclined on that after I heard his interview, where he said he wants to study the upcoming job and spend more time with his kids.

I still think if a playoff contending team suffers an injury at QB sometime around Thanksgiving, he’d take the call and be suited up in a few weeks - but this does seem real.

• Like 3