Commanders finalizing contract details to hire Eric Bienemy as OC/AHC

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Hardnosed coaches, like it sounds like Bienemy is trying to be, don't work in the NFL anymore. Belichick is a relic of the past. The best coaches nowadays are very player friendly because that is who the new generation of players best respond to. If your players are going over your head to the head coach and asking him to talk to you, you're doing something wrong, point blank. There's a difference between being tough and being a ****. Great coaches are tough and their players love them. ***** are tough and their players hate them.

Well like Mwil said,  the good cop/bad cop thing worked in KC so to speak.   But even Mahomes/Hill/Kelce all loved Eric B.     I can't pretend to know all the ins and outs of Eric B and what's going on,     but it's also possible the players are just soft as doody and don't like the change.    Eric B was a **** in KC, but the players loved playing for him.    Will it work the same in Washington,  idk..    Reid isn't there.     But it's also possible Eric is trying to get them to a level he is accustomed to,  and they don't like it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Well like Mwil said,  the good cop/bad cop thing worked in KC so to speak.   But even Mahomes/Hill/Kelce all loved Eric B.     I can't pretend to know all the ins and outs of Eric B and what's going on,     but it's also possible the players are just soft as doody and don't like the change.    Eric B was a **** in KC, but the players loved playing for him.    Will it work the same in Washington,  idk..    Reid isn't there.     But it's also possible Eric is trying to get them to a level he is accustomed to,  and they don't like it.

The players could be soft as hell, but if your team is soft as hell, you've gotta adjust to fit them, at least at this point in the season. You can't replace a whole roster once TC starts. Unless you don't care about your success this season, then by all means go nuts and see who buys in and who doesn't.

Bottom line, your players have got to like you. It's still early in Bienemy's career in Washington, so maybe these players who are pushing back buy in and it isn't an issue, or maybe they straight up jettison the defectors. Who knows. The answer Rivera gave openly to the press though is not good right now.

55 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The players could be soft as hell, but if your team is soft as hell, you've gotta adjust to fit them, at least at this point in the season. You can't replace a whole roster once TC starts. Unless you don't care about your success this season, then by all means go nuts and see who buys in and who doesn't.

Bottom line, your players have got to like you. It's still early in Bienemy's career in Washington, so maybe these players who are pushing back buy in and it isn't an issue, or maybe they straight up jettison the defectors. Who knows. The answer Rivera gave openly to the press though is not good right now.

Players don't have to like you, but they have to respect you. Going behind your back to the HC doesn't show he's earned much respect. Rivera's comments certainly were not a ringing endorsement for his OC. 

Could be nothing. Or could be we look back on this mid-season as the evidence was right there the whole time. 

• Like 1

To me this doesn't mean much at all. The team will either win games and players will adapt because they see that what he is doing is working, or the won't and their whole coaching staff is gone next year anyways.

Sure it isn't the best report to come out this early into camp, but I don't see this having a massive impact on the team early in the year. If things start out poorly though this is something that definitely could flair up again and could start a snowball for a disaster. 

• Like 1

honestly, rivera looks worse than anyone in this situation lol. how on earth do you not answer that question with "we deal with change every year, each season is a new season and i'm confident eric and the players are on the same page" and just end it right there? ever heard of coachspeak, my guy?

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

honestly, rivera looks worse than anyone in this situation lol. how on earth do you not answer that question with "we deal with change every year, each season is a new season and i'm confident eric and the players are on the same page" and just end it right there? ever heard of coachspeak, my guy?

You clearly didn’t see him throw Wentz under the bus and back over him repeatedly last season. Dude is who he is, pretty blunt.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Dude had one too many annoying drop in conversations at the office apparently.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

There was that, but I thought there was a lot of talk that he wasn't a great people person either. I thought there were former players who he coached in KC who were not fans.

Just for some insight on this note, couple former players have come to his defense already:

LeSean McCoy loved to talk crap, but he seems to have despised his time in KC, because he's had that for anyone they ask him about from that year.

EB is a tough dude. Honestly, Spags and Reid are too. Reid is a lovable guy and gets a rep for being a players' coach, but lost in that is that basically anyone who has played for Reid will tell you he runs one of the hardest training camps in the NFL. I'm not even remotely surprised there is a culture shock going from....whoever Scott Turner is....to EB. I don't know that it will work in the end, but I do think there is importance to setting a standard and holding guys to it. And that isn't always popular coming in as an outsider. I have no football experience whatsoever, but I've experienced that myself in my own leadership settings. I've lost employees stepping into a new role before because they went from not being held accountable, to being held accountable, and some can't deal with that. Or maybe EB is just an *******. I dunno. I do know most of the guys who worked most closely with him in KC, Charles, Ware, West, Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, etc., loved the dude. They won't lie about him being tough and there being disagreements at times, but it was always good for each in the long run.

• Like 4

All the coaches look 1 and done in Washington so he should coach his style because he's trying to get a HC gig so to fake it wouldn't be putting your best foot forward. Wins are needed but if he brings toughness to the team he'll get another shot if the wins don't come. If players turn on him he will never be a HC in the NFL. This is the way...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, -Hope- said:

That’s never been Riverboat Ron - which is probably why he continues to get opportunities. The lack of coachspeak is probably why he gets respect from everyone in the building he occupies.

While this EB thing is a rough look externally, sometimes you need to air out the dirty laundry vs keeping it all “in house”. It’s not what I’d personally look for in an organization I’m engaged with, I can see how it works for Riveria and this particular franchise (that’s just getting out of a toxic ownership relationship that hid a lot of dirty laundry from others). It’s not THE best Operating standard, but for Washington? It’s probably needed.

There’s something to be said about transparency - sometimes that acts like a cleansing fire that clears out the brush everyone gets tangled in, y’know?

• Like 2