Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's B or C.

I think you forget, I've been in this spot before. Once upon a time, Deshaun Watson was a Houston Texan. He decided he didn't want to be a Texan anymore... and he wasn't going to be a Texan under any circumstances. Once a player puts in that trade request, it's *OVER*. Trust me - I've been here before, that bridge has been napalmed into the stone ages.

Also - Don't think it'll take 30 sexual harassment lawsuits to keep Jackson off the field, it doesn't take much for Jackson to say his knee is still injured and sit out. The Ravens can't force him to play (as we saw in the playoffs). We've also seen other players not named Deshaun Watson do this as well (Trent Williams, Jalen Ramsey) so A is probably impossible at this point. To make it crystal clear - Lamar Jackson has played his last down as a Baltimore Raven. I held out hope on Watson as well (pre SA allegations) but trust me on this. He's gone.

The "happily ever after" scenario for all involved is B: Jackson to the Colts for 1.4 and additional assets (what those are, I don't know - but think Matt Stafford to the Rams-type return). C is the next likely position and it's a tenuous position to be in and you'll find a growing resentment towards everyone involved (even without SA allegations). 

This is going to be an ugly divorce.

I get you're informed by Watson, but this is way too overconfident. Deebo Samuel demanded a trade too, and even the big name QBs who have successfully demanded a trade recently - Watson, Aaron Rodgers (pending), and Russell Wilson - all had to wait at least a year before they were actually traded.

I agree with you that the relationship is permanently altered, but that doesn't mean over today. I bet they do the Walking Wife season like Kirk Cousins did in Washington.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

fan is short for fanatic, which is vastly different from a perspective of a bunch of people who cheer an entertainer than what 99-100% of us do here.

Nobody shows up to pay money to pay for my merchandise or memorabilia or a ticket to watch me negotiate a contract or teach my students.

You’re absolutely right on it being a contract employee situation, but expecting a fan to see this as a 1:1 correlation is beyond ridiculous here.

And if you don’t think there are burned bridges and hurt feelings in any job or career field, then I hate to break it to you, but that’s not the case.

The fact that some people can't grasp why fans of a team would prefer their players to take less $ - if possible - in a SALARY CAP sport is unreal to me, lol.

Yeah, fans would prefer to have more salary cap allotment to go to better players to supplement the roster. Stop the presses. What a wild concept.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

There are too many @BillySpikes wannabees here with aggregated takes. Have an original thought.

@warfelg@diamondbull424@AFlaccoSeagulls@ramssuperbowl99@JaguarCrazy2832@NYRaider@Art_Vandalay@Nabbs4u@AngusMcFife@El Ramster@ET80

You've all been somewhat active on this thread. Have an original opinion. Which do you think is most likely? This is the internet. No one (probably) knows where you live to hunt you down for your take.

Pick one. A, B, or C. 

First of all, I think if he really wanted to @MWil23 could find me. He's that dedicated. Actually no that would be @NudeTayne

Second of all, I'm really torn between all 3 options and here's why:

1. Option A - It really truly does seem like the relationship between the Ravens and Lamar has soured to the point of no return. However, at this point in time, there's no other team that has shown significant interest in Lamar and everything Lamar has done to this point, especially the last couple of days screams that he's desperate and nobody is willing to talk to him or meet his demands. Therefore, it makes logical sense that he'd come back to the Ravens.
  2. Option B - The Colts and Falcons are ridiculously stupid if they don't entertain trading for Lamar or working something out with Baltimore. They both have the rosters and cap space and draft capital to make this move happen. However, it doesn't seem like a realistic possibility that Lamar goes to any team except the Colts, who, again, haven't shown significant interest.
  3. Option C - Lamar has truly gone to some crazy lengths to make it known he wants his money, but I really don't see him sitting out and basically throwing his career down the toilet by refusing to sign a franchise tag and then holding out. Why would he hold out anyways? Baltimore isn't going to offer more money, and by that point another team definitely isn't trading for him, so what does he gain? He looks like a petty child by doing that (not that he doesn't already, though).

Therefore, with all of this being said I have to think Option A is the most realistic at this point in time, but I think Option A and Option C are pretty close, with Option B basically being a complete unknown at this point.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I get you're informed by Watson, but this is way too overconfident. Deebo Samuel demanded a trade too, and even the big name QBs who have successfully demanded a trade recently - Watson, Aaron Rodgers (pending), and Russell Wilson - all had to wait at least a year before they were actually traded.

I agree with you that the relationship is permanently altered, but that doesn't mean over today. I bet they do the Walking Wife season like Kirk Cousins did in Washington.

Part of my confidence is how much information is becoming public; with Rodgers and Wilson - the discontent was there, but the two did their part in front of the media and played the role for a year. Much of what was being speculated on was only that, speculation; It was speculative that Wilson wanted to be traded to Chicago, it was speculative that Rodgers wanted out (and the speculation turned into a false flag of sorts once Rodgers signed his extension last season). Much of this speculation is driven by media sources - the odd unnamed source within the organization, or sources close to [insert player here].

This? It's public, there is no speculation here. Lamar is making this a situation in real time - there is no "sources close to Jackson's camp" on this on, Jackson himself has burned this bridge with his words via social media. That's why I'm pretty sure this is final. This is straight from the horses' mouth, and caving in after this is only going to weaken Jackson's position (in his eyes, at least - which are the only eyes that make decisions on this).

Another point: How many times have we flat out proven someone wrong in an argument, and instead of the person you're arguing say "you're right, I'm wrong", they dig in deeper on their position? That's the likely response from Jackson (especially without a level headed resource - such as an agent - talking to him and warning/wargaming this for him). In all of this, he's pretty much proven out this decisions he made with this extension wasn't his best decision. Did he relent? No, he double downed on it (publicly, at that). Had it followed the standard patterns we've seen, I'd buy into there being an amicable workaround between the two. Once they start dropping Future lyrics and fighting reports directly on Twitter, the propensity to "double down" on their position becomes much more important to them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It really truly does seem like the relationship between the Ravens and Lamar has soured to the point of no return. However, at this point in time, there's no other team that has shown significant interest in Lamar and everything Lamar has done to this point, especially the last couple of days screams that he's desperate and nobody is willing to talk to him or meet his demands. Therefore, it makes logical sense that he'd come back to the Ravens.

Even if Lamar wants to do this sans agent - he needs an adviser that will give him better direction. It’s getting really bad really fast. 

Then again, I was someone in season that when Baltimore was making comments about how nice it would be to have him and stuff; that not having someone to do damage control hurt him. 

The fact that no one will even talk to him and see what the points he would be able to move on is not super shocking because the picture has been painted publicly - and he just played into it the last few days. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Even if Lamar wants to do this sans agent - he needs an adviser that will give him better direction. It’s getting really bad really fast. 

Then again, I was someone in season that when Baltimore was making comments about how nice it would be to have him and stuff; that not having someone to do damage control hurt him. 

The fact that no one will even talk to him and see what the points he would be able to move on is not super shocking because the picture has been painted publicly - and he just played into it the last few days. 

Yeah every time he tweets he makes it worse, but apparently there's NOBODY in his camp that's willing to tell him that. And every time he tweets, you bet your bottom dollar that those potentially interested teams (WAS, ATL, IND) are seeing that behavior and evaluating it, and I can guarantee you it doesn't look good for Lamar or help him.

It's just sad, really. 

Oh and if we are going down the “real life job” route, another guy who is probably a real life loser who has a personal life dumpster fire but who is also better than you at his job getting a bigger payday at a more volatile company while you regressed professionally over the past 3 years while pointing to a shiny award from 4 years ago after having work ethic and availability concerns questioned would be a reasonable comparison here.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah every time he tweets he makes it worse, but apparently there's NOBODY in his camp that's willing to tell him that. And every time he tweets, you bet your bottom dollar that those potentially interested teams (WAS, ATL, IND) are seeing that behavior and evaluating it, and I can guarantee you it doesn't look good for Lamar or help him.

It's just sad, really. 

That’s why I made that post the other day that the tag Baltimore used makes the situation worse - because other teams can talk to Lamar freely. But when you enter that knowing his demands, tying up your cap early in FA (I know it’s not early anymore) and giving up 2 1sts (one of which you know will be high because it’s a 1st this year); it’s just not worth it. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Oh and if we are going down the “real life job” route, another guy who is probably a real life loser who has a personal life dumpster fire but who is also better than you at his job getting a bigger payday at a more volatile company while you e regressed professionally over the past 3 years while pointing to a shiny award from 4 years ago after having work ethic and availability concerns questioned would be a reasonable comparison here.

I swear to god for a minute here I thought you were talking about @wackywabbit vs. Billy lmfao

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

That’s why I made that post the other day that the tag Baltimore used makes the situation worse - because other teams can talk to Lamar freely. But when you enter that knowing his demands, tying up your cap early in FA (I know it’s not early anymore) and giving up 2 1sts (one of which you know will be high because it’s a 1st this year); it’s just not worth it. 

I think they just wanted to give Lamar the freedom to test the market and basically show him that the offer they made was better than any other team would do. I think it was the smart play, honestly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think they just wanted to give Lamar the freedom to test the market and basically show him that the offer they made was better than any other team would do. I think it was the smart play, honestly.

But was it really the freedom? I think it was smart from the fact that they are pushing the price down by using that tag and no one jumping into the mix because of the and parts. 

It’s funny. Ross Tucker isn’t a well followed former player turned media but he’s doing a better job of anyone of showing how Lamar is hurting himself, and Baltimore is making it easy for him to do. 

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

There are three possible notable verifiable claims at this point:
A) Lamar plays for the Ravens week 1 of the 2023 season
B) Lamar plays for another team week 1 of the 2023 season
C) Lamar doesn't play for any NFL team week 1 of the 2023 season or week 1 of the 2023 NFL season doesn't happen

I have said since this started, What is best for L. Jackson is A.  What I think will happen is C but I do think he plays for the Ravens in the 2023 season.  Just not at the beginning.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Part of my confidence is how much information is becoming public; with Rodgers and Wilson - the discontent was there, but the two did their part in front of the media and played the role for a year. Much of what was being speculated on was only that, speculation; It was speculative that Wilson wanted to be traded to Chicago, it was speculative that Rodgers wanted out (and the speculation turned into a false flag of sorts once Rodgers signed his extension last season). Much of this speculation is driven by media sources - the odd unnamed source within the organization, or sources close to [insert player here].

This? It's public, there is no speculation here. Lamar is making this a situation in real time - there is no "sources close to Jackson's camp" on this on, Jackson himself has burned this bridge with his words via social media. That's why I'm pretty sure this is final. This is straight from the horses' mouth, and caving in after this is only going to weaken Jackson's position (in his eyes, at least - which are the only eyes that make decisions on this).

Another point: How many times have we flat out proven someone wrong in an argument, and instead of the person you're arguing say "you're right, I'm wrong", they dig in deeper on their position? That's the likely response from Jackson (especially without a level headed resource - such as an agent - talking to him and warning/wargaming this for him). In all of this, he's pretty much proven out this decisions he made with this extension wasn't his best decision. Did he relent? No, he double downed on it (publicly, at that). Had it followed the standard patterns we've seen, I'd buy into there being an amicable workaround between the two. Once they start dropping Future lyrics and fighting reports directly on Twitter, the propensity to "double down" on their position becomes much more important to them.

And with Rodgers, I think this is the first time I feel the organization actually didn't  want him anymore. Like if you want him you can take him off our hands, I don’t think this was the case 2 years ago. 

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Option B - The Colts and Falcons are ridiculously stupid if they don't entertain trading for Lamar or working something out with Baltimore. They both have the rosters and cap space and draft capital to make this move happen. However, it doesn't seem like a realistic possibility that Lamar goes to any team except the Colts, who, again, haven't shown significant interest.

Irsay has said publicly that Jackson is a special player but he does not want to wreck his  salary cap with the guaranteed money.  There was a quote about this about 50 pages back. 

• Like 1