Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

After July 17th the tag rules prevent Lamar from signing a deal longer than 1 year with any club.

CBA says he can't negotiate a multiyear deal with the Ravens. He can be traded then negotiate an extension with his new club.  

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I could be wrong but I think we would've tendered him after researching Baker.

Huntley was tendered on March 9th. They couldn't even talk to Baker until the tampering period started on the 13th.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

That’s why I made that post the other day that the tag Baltimore used makes the situation worse - because other teams can talk to Lamar freely. But when you enter that knowing his demands, tying up your cap early in FA (I know it’s not early anymore) and giving up 2 1sts (one of which you know will be high because it’s a 1st this year); it’s just not worth it. 

The 2 FRPs honestly doesn't matter. It's not just tying up the cap, but when a team signs Lamar, they have to make cap space for that first-year cap hit. Most teams are going to need to modify their top 50 contracts to get Lamar's contract (#51) within the cap. There is no rollback option if they sign Lamar, take the gamble on the Ravens not matching, and they do match. It's why teams prefer the trading. You time all restructures, releases, and other trades to happen right before you acquire the guy from the other team who agreed to trade him. Zero gambling. You just need the other team to be willing to trade him.

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It really truly does seem like the relationship between the Ravens and Lamar has soured to the point of no return. However, at this point in time, there's no other team that has shown significant interest in Lamar and everything Lamar has done to this point, especially the last couple of days screams that he's desperate and nobody is willing to talk to him or meet his demands. Therefore, it makes logical sense that he'd come back to the Ravens.

Like others, I think the dynamics of the relationship have changed, but I don't think we're talking burned bridges yet.

I don't know why there is this expectation other teams would want to get in early on a stalemated negotiation. All it does is empower one side over the other and make it less likely you can actually acquire him. Signing a nonexclusive franchise player to a contract to be matched has only happened once in the Cap & Tag era. It took Washington and Sean Gilbert burning down their relationship in 1997 only to publicly piss and defecate over that corpse the rest of that year and into the following year. And the only team that was seriously interested enough to negotiate (also signed him) were the 4 year old Panthers who had the requisite cap space and were trying to acquire talented players.

I don't think it screams desperation. I think it's him finally taking these negotiations seriously.

It makes sense for him to come back to the Ravens, but not for the reasons you stated. The Ravens are one of the few teams that can sign him to a multiyear deal with their current cap. The tag discourages the Ravens from trading him as it caps whatever the returns far below what they value him at. The Ravens don't really have another option if they do trade him. Your free agency options are Teddy B, Cam, and Flacco. They tried to pursue Mayfield as a plan B but he went with the Bucs. Their plan C has yet to sign his tender (Huntley). The draft is basically trade up for Richardson before the Seahawks do or overdraft Stetson Barrett on day 2. The trade options right now are Rodgers and Jackson. Most people I've read/heard seem to agree that if you're willing to pay all that cash and compensation for Rodgers, you would be better off spending that on Lamar. And most importantly, the Ravens still want him, even if they hate the asking price.

22 minutes ago, typecast said:

CBA says he can't negotiate a multiyear deal with the Ravens. He can be traded then negotiate an extension with his new club.  

After July 17th he can't sign a multi year offer sheet, which means he loses out on the massive contract he's after and the difference in money between the best contract he can get vs the non exclusive tag money.

So yea, he can be traded on a one year deal and then try to negotiate an extension with a new team at the end of the regular season Jan. 7, 2024- but again, that would be a horrible outcome for him and no team would make that trade. 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He's still losing a ton of money in that scenario by not signing an extension though, continuing to play on the base money afforded to him by rookie scale or franchise tag would be horrifyingly stupid-

How much money is Lamar willing to lose in pursuit of a contract no one wants to give him? 8 figures,... 9 figures? 

After July 17th the tag rules prevent Lamar from signing a deal longer than 1 year with any club. It's hard for me to believe Lamar and his 'representation' would be stupid enough to not sign an extension by that deadline. Even for how bad they've navigated the situation up to this point, that would just be another level of self sabotage. 

I don’t think this is accurate. The money Allen has is advance payment from his 6 year extension that begins this year. Basically the 6 year extension had money spread over 8 years (the previous 2 years). Signing a 3/133 deal is actually more money than Allen would get on an average annual value plus put him in position to get a substantially larger deal for the next 3 years. Using Mahomes deal as an example, it’s intent is not that he’s making $50m in 2022 and $50m in 2030,  it’s more like salaries of 40/42/44/46/48/50/52/54/56/58/60 in each of the 10 years. Lamar has mishandled things but it is really inaccurate to say he cost himself $40m+ that he’ll never get back. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jpeter15 said:

Lamar has mishandled things but it is really inaccurate to say he cost himself $40m+ that he’ll never get back. 

Yea I've seen some debate over the total money lost in comparison to other guys and himself had he signed an extension early. Different people are throwing out different numbers. Key discussion points are typically when guys like Allen's agents will look to extend/renegotiate to keep pace with new contracts vs the timetable of Lamar's new deal, and what they've already extracted from his current contract with restructures, option bonus, etc. 

Common sentiment is Lamar can regain a lot of ground, but he needs to lock in his extension this year and avoid playing on the tag at all costs.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Yea I've seen some debate over the total money lost in comparison to other guys and himself had he signed an extension early. Different people are throwing out different numbers. Key discussion points are typically when guys like Allen's agents will look to extend/renegotiate to keep pace with new contracts vs the timetable of Lamar's new deal, and what they've already extracted from his current contract with restructures, option bonus, etc. 

Common sentiment is Lamar can regain a lot of ground, but he needs to lock in his extension this year and avoid playing on the tag at all costs.

If you go to over the cap and look at history it shows earnings, that is where that number came from.

Allen is making less than 2 million this year in salary and even adding in the signing bonus it's only 18 million so Lamar will be earning way more this year under the tag. Allen also took a team friendly deal, whether intentional or not, it wouldn't be hard at all for Lamar to catch and pass him whether he signs this year, next or in 2 years.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:17 PM, wackywabbit said:

There are too many @BillySpikes wannabees here with aggregated takes. Have an original thought.

@warfelg@diamondbull424@AFlaccoSeagulls@ramssuperbowl99@JaguarCrazy2832@NYRaider@Art_Vandalay@Nabbs4u@AngusMcFife@El Ramster@ET80

You've all been somewhat active on this thread. Have an original opinion. Which do you think is most likely? This is the internet. No one (probably) knows where you live to hunt you down for your take.

Pick one. A, B, or C. 

Are you ok? Are you mentally stable? It’s an online forum. What the hell are you tagging people for? It’s a NFL team that will literally not miss you if you die. They won’t care for your yearly purchase of 65$ you spend on a hat and shirt your mom gives you for your bday. What the hell was that tag? I’m confused and scared. Are you coming to hunt me down? What the bloody hell did I say to make you call me billy spikes? Shout out to the goat btw. Dude was always on one. Miss you billy. 

• Like 1

The crazy thing is that Lamar isn’t good enough to get a Watson deal. Watson at his best peak>>>> A top end RB who’s been regressing/Hurt the last 3 years. Watson just needs a massage and his chilling..

Lamar needs wakanda technology to keep him playing. Maybe had he played hurt(I know it’s not fair) the ravens would be bending the knee… had he played to get them to the playoffs and showed the heart of a got damm 3k Lb tuna fish instead of the heart of a mouse they would have backed up the brinks truck! F Lamar that drama queen. Dude isn’t half as good as Patty Mahomes to be demanding a pay of that magnitude. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He's still losing a ton of money in that scenario by not signing an extension though, continuing to play on the base money afforded to him by rookie scale or franchise tag would be horrifyingly stupid-

How much money is Lamar willing to lose in pursuit of a contract no one wants to give him? 8 figures,... 9 figures? 

After July 17th the tag rules prevent Lamar from signing a deal longer than 1 year with any club. It's hard for me to believe Lamar and his 'representation' would be stupid enough to not sign an extension by that deadline. Even for how bad they've navigated the situation up to this point, that would just be another level of self sabotage. 

How much money did Le'von Bell give up due to ego?  Bell ended up signing for LESS than the Steeler offered due to his ego.  Same thing here IMHO.

Edited by jebrick

36 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Are you ok? Are you mentally stable? It’s an online forum. What the hell are you tagging people for? It’s a NFL team that will literally not miss you if you die. They won’t care for your yearly purchase of 65$ you spend on a hat and shirt your mom gives you for your bday. What the hell was that tag? I’m confused and scared. Are you coming to hunt me down? What the bloody hell did I say to make you call me billy spikes? Shout out to the goat btw. Dude was always on one. Miss you billy. 

I'm pretty ok, yea. Billy Spikes was great. It's not that serious. Why make this post and not make a guess at an option though? What are you trying to maintain?

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it's funny seeing the kind of takes a polarized situation like this brings out. Who knew Patrick Mahomes was to blame all along?-    

Richard Sherman may sound articulate, and he may have gone to Stanford…but he’s an idiot

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you go to over the cap and look at history it shows earnings, that is where that number came from.

Allen is making less than 2 million this year in salary and even adding in the signing bonus it's only 18 million so Lamar will be earning way more this year under the tag. Allen also took a team friendly deal, whether intentional or not, it wouldn't be hard at all for Lamar to catch and pass him whether he signs this year, next or in 2 years.

Ross Tucker is counting the paid money over the last two years as “earned”. If you use that approach consistently then Allen is playing the next 6 years (the entirety of his contract) for about $216m  ($36m/yr).