2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We won't know until we have a new DC. These two are pretty scheme versatile though. Will probably come down to the Combine and meeting rooms for who goes first. There's a lot of rumbling that the teams actually prefer Arnold to McKinstry, though the media draft sites have it pretty universally switched. 

Who's better mic'd up

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I've been on the Jordan Whitehead train for a while now. Also, I think DeJean is going to be a slot CB in the NFL. Kind of like the Lions are using he kid from Alabama Brian Branch. He plays a lot in the slot and some more traditional safety for them. 

I see him as a Nixon replacement in our current scheme.  It will be interesting to see if we continue with some iteration of this scheme going forward. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We won't know until we have a new DC. These two are pretty scheme versatile though. Will probably come down to the Combine and meeting rooms for who goes first. There's a lot of rumbling that the teams actually prefer Arnold to McKinstry, though the media draft sites have it pretty universally switched. 

Arnold has come such a long way in his time at Bama.  No question that he was excellent this year but Kool Aid was/is better and has played at a high level all 3 years.  Wouldn’t mind adding either of them to our secondary!

• Like 1

IF we go OT in the first round, what are you going to do with Tom? I think he's our best OL and has handled RT at a high level.  The development of Walker at LT with a possibility of Bak coming back seems to give us a solid starting Tackle situation.  I understand that earlier in the year it looked rough, but OT is not a pressing need and can be addressed with a developmental prospect later in the draft.  We still have Caleb Jones and Tenuta in the pipeline also.  Plus, seldom do you take a RT in the first round unless it is a pressing need, that is NOT the case here. 

We are weak up the middle and I'd rather bolster that with a Beebe or Barton in the second round.  We need to be more stout in the middle NOW.  Beebe and Barton can play both C/G and would solidify the middle.

Late teens early twenties in the draft puts us in line with DeJean or Kinchens and safety is a dire need.  Enough of a need to double up on the position even if we sign a FA at that spot.

IF we trade up it's going to be for an Edge (Verse or Latu?) that is sliding or WR.  If Odunze or Nabers are within reach I got a feeling Gute takes a shot.  I know most love our WR room, but either of those two would cement that room for years to come.  Reed and Wicks > Watson and Doubs.  Watson has not been reliable/available and I'm sorry, but Doubs is a hard worker that is #4 every day.  It's something I think could happen because nobody is giving it a chance of happening.

With no trades....1st  Cooper DeJean  CB/S  Iowa

2A Jordan Morgan  OT  Arizona

2B  Cooper Beebe  OL  Kansas State

Then I'd go LB and RB in the third.

Edited by Dubz41
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

IF we go OT in the first round, what are you going to do with Tom? I think he's our best OL and has handled RT at a high level.  The development of Walker at LT with a possibility of Bak coming back seems to give us a solid starting Tackle situation.  I understand that earlier in the year it looked rough, but OT is not a pressing need and can be addressed with a developmental prospect later in the draft.  We still have Caleb Jones and Tenuta in the pipeline also.  Plus, seldom do you take a RT in the first round unless it is a pressing need, that is NOT the case here. 

We are weak up the middle and I'd rather bolster that with a Beebe or Barton in the second round.  We need to be more stout in the middle NOW.  Beebe and Barton can play both C/G and would solidify the middle.

I am currently looking at OT like I am looking at WR.  We are perfectly fine at the position.  If there is a value too good to pass up, take the guy.  But I don't feel like this is a top of the list position anymore.  Walker is at the very least functional, and he is still just 23.  We also still have Kadeem Telfort as a lump of clay to add to Jones and Tenuta.  

Tom is the RT IMO.  Like they say, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.  Defenses now rotate and sub rushers so often that the classic blind-side tackle vs best pass rusher match-up isn't an all game thing any more, you need to have a good pass protector on both sides.  Tom will be 25 next season, and his current contract barely has him making over a million in any of his seasons.  So, neither skill nor cost are prohibitive.

I also like the idea of taking interior OL this draft.  I have flipped and flopped on my opinion of JRJ all season.  Solid starter, to get rid of this guy, to not that bad.  I think since Rhyan has shown not to be a complete bum, I would let someone else pay JRJ.  Myers and Rhyan are both FAs after next season, so a little competition wouldn't be bad.  Super s(cr)ub Royce Newman is also under contract until 2025, if that holds any sway at all.  

I hate mock drafts lol. I just had one where I got Kamren Kinchens, Cooper Beebe, Sedrick Van Pran, Max Melton, TJ Tampa, Jonathan Brooks, Blake Corum, Ricky Pearsall, Payton Wilson, Adisa Isaac, Kenny Logan Jr, Elijah Jones and Tory Taylor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I hate mock drafts lol. I just had one where I got Kamren Kinchens, Cooper Beebe, Sedrick Van Pran, Max Melton, TJ Tampa, Jonathan Brooks, Blake Corum, Ricky Pearsall, Payton Wilson, Adisa Isaac, Kenny Logan Jr, Elijah Jones and Tory Taylor.

You have to do it with no trades otherwise it gets out of hand in a hurry lol.

Regarding Cooper Beebe, I watched some film on him for the first time yesterday and that dude is as wide as he is tall.  Just an absolute tank of a human being.

Also, since you follow Wisconsin pretty closely, what's your opinion of Braelon Allen? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

You have to do it with no trades otherwise it gets out of hand in a hurry lol.

Regarding Cooper Beebe, I watched some film on him for the first time yesterday and that dude is as wide as he is tall.  Just an absolute tank of a human being.

Also, since you follow Wisconsin pretty closely, what's your opinion of Braelon Allen? 

I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm about to partake in a 3 day drunken **** show of a weekend with 9 of my best buds in Houston. Remind me next week lmao. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm about to partake in a 3 day drunken **** show of a weekend with 9 of my best buds in Houston. Remind me next week lmao. 

Im assuming there will be a Bucks game in that soup of a weekend. Just no fights and don’t die are usually the only two rules I try to stick to when approaching inevitable sweet chaos with a large assemblage of degenerates that I call friends. 

• Like 2

@thrILL! and @ThatJerkDave and @Dubz41 Check out my mock choices (under Moretti''s New Year mock:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/52113-morettis-new-years-mock/

I often use profootballnetwork mock draft, but I went with NFLmockdraftdatabase, this time round with no trades, and got:

CB Terrion Arnold, T/G Graham Barton, S Kamren Kinchens, RB Treveyon Henderson, C Jackson Powers-Johnson, ILB Tommy Eichenberg, S Cole Bishop, in the first four rounds.

The last pick was a predicted comp pick for Lazard and Barton was taken to be a guard..........4 picks on defense, 3 on offense.

Other guys I've often taken in my mock drafts (plenty depends on where the pick ends up) S/CB DeJean when available (he usually isn't), Big Edge Laiatu Latu, when I'm not sure what to take in round 1. I often take guard Cooper Beebe and Center Van Pran, with a 2nd round pick. Others I can take are NT Maason Smith, S Tyler Nubin, TE Cade Stover depending on how things play out - and any one of the top half dozen RBs.

I tend to take TE Stover less now as Kraft has advanced so much as a blocker and early picks of OT's Alt, Latham or Guyton, are negated due to either to a later draft spot now, or the emergence of Walker at LT.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, hoekd0250 said:

What’s people thoughts on a Jeremiah trotter jr for inside backer in the 1st round?

He is likely a first round pick and I'd want someone more exceptionally athletically gifted, in round one, where he is competing with some prime positions like CB, OT, DE, Edge, QB. I think you would get more value from a later pick at ILB, like Edgerrin Cooper, Tommy Eichenberg or Junior Colson.

Trotter does have some bloodlines though, since his dad was pretty good.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive