ESPN lets go of substantial NFL coverage staff

RaidersAreOne

On 7/2/2023 at 8:36 AM, INbengalfan said:

Saw something that said Antonio Brown claims he got hired by ESPN.  If that's actually true, they've lost it completely

No one should believe anything that comesout of AB's mouth. There is a line of people who believed he hired them and would pay them for services/entertainment rendered. They're all still waiting...

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, lavar703 said:

Matt Miller faking his way all the way to ESPN is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. From a dude who was just god awful on Bleacher Report and openly talked about not watching college football to somehow becoming an draft expert. How he kept his job over McShay I will never know? This is just unbelievable. 

Money. It's pretty easy. 

Edited by big_palooka

On 6/30/2023 at 2:51 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

Haven't watched ESPN in years outside of MNF, and that's usually muted.

And that’s why you can’t pay many people millions of dollars for a long time.  You need return on investment.  

People don’t like Pat, but he has viewers.  Whether those viewers move from YouTube to ESPN is highly debatable. 

On 6/30/2023 at 10:02 PM, General Tso said:

Mina Kimes not laid off 🤓

This is a real shame. She's one of the most annoying people in sports media that never has a clue about what she's talking about. 

I would imagine Todd McShay gets hired by NFL Network. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

Disney has to find a way to save money somewhere since almost every non MCU movie they release bombs hard anymore (and even the MCU isnt nearly as lucrative as it once was), and they are hemorrhaging money by the billions.

Amazing all these people get fired, but Kathleen Kennedy still has a job.   If she wasn't so horrible and ESPN stuck to sports like it used to, this **** wouldn't be happening.

Its only gonna get worse.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2023 at 10:16 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Damn, losing Kolber and Max Kellerman is a huge L for them in my opinion. Some of the names I see that are sticking around...my goodness. Kendrick Perkins? Marcus Spears???

Pat McAfee...he seems whatever, and I've never really warmed up to his show, but good for him I guess. 

Yeah that show is trash. Low IQ. And d riders for Rodgers. Like dam it gets super annoying when they slurp him up after shartty games. I think pat is going to blow up on their face and he’ll be out in 2-3 years. He’s perfect for YouTube but not for TV. Small doses. Too much and he becomes annoying. 

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

This is a real shame. She's one of the most annoying people in sports media that never has a clue about what she's talking about.

Disagree. she's one of brighter minds in NFL media. very few podcasts are as deep in football knowledge as hers

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 43M said:

Disney has to find a way to save money somewhere since almost every non MCU movie they release bombs hard anymore (and even the MCU isnt nearly as lucrative as it once was), and they are hemorrhaging money by the billions.

Amazing all these people get fired, but Kathleen Kennedy still has a job.   If she wasn't so horrible and ESPN stuck to sports like it used to, this **** wouldn't be happening.

It’sonly gonna get worse.

Kathleen Kennedy’s blatant mishandling of Star Wars is awful, and has cost them a ton of money both in the actual and theoretical sense.  They just need to rip the bandaid off now and let her go, but for a myriad of reasons (some of which we probably shouldn’t discuss here) they won’t do that and will likely just let her contract expire.  

This does not surprise me from ESPN.  This just cements them as not really being focused on sports coverage anymore and really just looking for hot takes and engagement as others have said. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, big_palooka said:

Money. It's pretty easy. 

Yep and you can also see ESPN shifting more towards valuing those with large social media/online followings catering to the younger viewers. They probably saw a drop off in viewership with the young crowd as they get their media online as opposed to watching TV. Which is the only reason I can think of that guys like Perkins/McAfee are brought in.

Outside of Suzie/McShay/Pollack the majority of the cuts were obvious. Kellerman is a dime a dozen hot take artist, Van Gundy does nothing but complain about officiating/coaching all game long, Keyshawn has absolutly no on-air personality, Steve Young felt like he didnt even want to be there, Rose was 'okay' at best but I dont think anybody is going to miss anything he says.

ESPN was paying a lot of money for a lot of average/bad on-air talent and a lot of them were only there because they were ex-athletes.

Edited by AkronsWitness

21 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Hard disagree. Mina is one of the few people on ESPN that I feel like is talented that's left.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Hard disagree. Mina is one of the few people on ESPN that I feel like is talented that's left.

One of the very few people who figured out how to be relatively informative while playing by the ESPN talking head, 30 second sound bite rules. I don't go out of my way to watch her or anything, but you can tell she makes an effort to provide substance instead of talking about how bad players want to win.

JJ Reddick's another one who tries. Kills me because he's a first ballot hall of fame hatable athlete.

• Like 4