Roger Goodell Signs Contract Extension

Carmen Cygni

Roger has a decades worth of NFL secrets, he's not going anywhere for a long long long time. Hopefully the private jet makes his life more stress free so he can focus on delegating everything to more competent people. 

That $200M (potentially) essentially comes right out of the owners' pockets, no? Why would they pay a man so much for a job that could be done BETTER by an equally experienced man (whether experience in operating within the NFL, or in a role similar to commissioner) for a fraction of the pay? Is the price just pennies to owners, and a small price for them to pay to keep the status quo going (which has lined their pockets)? I really don't get commissioner compensation, seems entirely arbitrary.

Im over hating on this d-bag constantly because its just not worth the annoyance, and we all knew he was going to be extended, but I see so many people trying to defend him, and I really dont get it.

One of the more popular defenses is "he is just doing what the owners tell him", and okay.....Im not even necessarily saying thats wrong, but why have so many terrible ideas come up largely during the Goodell era?    This is honestly a serious question.  Is he just a yes man while Taglibue perhaps wasnt?   Or does he have more power than people think?     I dont know enough about what kind of commish Taglibue was (it was before I became a hardcore fan) to really compare the two.....but I do know what Ive seen this league turn into under Goodell.

The Goodell era obviously saw the NFL hit new peaks of popularity, but I dont see why that gets attributed to him.   The NFL was trending that way well before he took over.

I dont blame Goodell for all the issues in the NFL, but I dont see how anyone could argue he is good at his job.    And even if he is liked, how in the hell can it be justified paying him this much when the NFL is on such shaky ground right now, and he has handled so many NFL controversies so laughably poorly?

As stated, I have to believe he has alot of dirt on the right people.    I cant see any other logical explanation.  

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

No, but they definitely could have used that lifetime medical insurance.

I'm all for making sure roger taking care of his family and all but he got three times as much as he'll ever need from the NFL. Plus a private jet....because why not.

But since the NFL is offering lifetime medical insurance, I wonder who the NFL employs that could really use that....

13 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

What a really P.C. way of saying "WOW. Roger Goodell will make over $20 million GUARANTEED over a 5 year period of time, even if these incentives aren't hit."

13 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

LOL

4 hours ago, OleXmad said:

I'm all for making sure roger taking care of his family and all but he got three times as much as he'll ever need from the NFL. Plus a private jet....because why not.

But since the NFL is offering lifetime medical insurance, I wonder who the NFL employs that could really use that....

If a player is in the league for a minimum of 5 years I think they get some sort of security blanket from the league.

Of course, not everyone makes it 5 years...

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

At some point I wonder if this is:

"You're doing a great job, keep up the good work. This is a worthy investment for both of us." kind of money

or

"You know where all the bodies are buried, why don't we all just shut up and retain the status quo." kind of money

They need to keep Roger off the book signing/speaking tour until after Brady /Belichick retire.

Archived