Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

That’s what it is, yes, but the entire 3-4 was conceived around the idea of confusion. This is why every team slowly turned to a 3-4 because it worked. That advantage is gone. The greatest advantage was in being able to use the players who were too big for off ball, too small for EDGE rushing abilities and have them do both.

Sure but 7 man fronts aren't base defenses anymore so 3-4/4-3 is irrelevant. The nickel is the base. It's going to be either an even 2-4/4-2 front or 3-3 front. That's the distinction that might matter for your roster. Are you running an even or odd front?

35 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Sure but 7 man fronts aren't base defenses anymore so 3-4/4-3 is irrelevant. The nickel is the base. It's going to be either an even 2-4/4-2 front or 3-3 front. That's the distinction that might matter for your roster. Are you running an even or odd front?

Good question. I like symmetry and simplicity. The classic, but dead, two 4 techs and two 2 techs is what I want. I want my DE to line up on the tackle and I want my tackles on the guards. I want a big ILB right there in the center and I want an agile off ball linebacker next to him. If I have two ILBs who can shed a block, I’m running a 4-2-5. If I have more agile ILBs, I run a 4-3-4.

Always an even front. I want as little green between my first and second line of defense as possible. 

Early on with the 3-4, teams were constantly confused. Now if they see all that green they’re saying, “We don’t care who’s responsible for that we’re just going for it,” and they do and they get it. The 3-4 works if you’ve got a bunch of dogs out there who can’t be bullied. We don’t have that. They know where they’re supposed to be and what they’re supposed to do, but they don’t have the nasty to do it.

If we start preaching the mentality of solely beating the guy across from you, that nasty will come and that’s when we can throw out some exotic looks opportunistically. I do like the wide 9 mentality.

I hate the 3-4 mentality. Kenny Clark is probably teetering on Hall of Fame status if he’s just expected to wreak havoc on one person. What he’s asked to do right now and it’s no wonder people don’t see how good he is. Our mentality has ruined him and turned him soft.

And I don’t care if the offense brings out 3 tight ends. Just shift the linebackers that way and tell them to do the same thing. Beat the man across from them. Rip their ****ing heads off if they try to block you.

Every single play I want my DE on the tackle and every single play I want my DT on the guard.

6 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Think a young DC would be a good way to go, unproven in the league but with fresh ideas to go around in the room. I just want a more creative aggressive DC that understands the players he has, AND more than anything else someone who understands situational football because god knows Joe Barry doesn't. 

D’Anton Lynn.  What he’s done as UCLA’s DC is nothing short of extraordinary. He’s got NFL coaching experience as well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

D’Anton Lynn.  What he’s done as UCLA’s DC is nothing short of extraordinary. He’s got NFL coaching experience as well. 

Jim Leonhard could still be high on the list for LaFleur.  Might have been the guy this year, but wanted to take a year off from the rigors to get a new hip or knee or something.  He's doing some consulting or analyst work for Illinois.

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Jesse Minter (Michigan DC - DB assistant/coach in Baltimore under Dean Peas and Wink Martindale) is another one to think about if the Harbaugh stuff goes south at Michigan. 

Just hire Stalions directly. He's the guy in Minter's ear giving him all the answers.