Carson Wentz Injury Update Thread (Out for season)

Danger

I can't help but go into NFL Gen to defend our team and Wentz. I know I'm getting suckered in, but the trolly nature of some posts are just too inviting.

I've invested too much time and resources over my Eagles fandom career to let an 11-2 season go down the drain that easily. I will miss Wentz like everyone else, obviously. But it's going to be harder to kill my voice than John McClane at Christmas time. 

Just now, eagles18 said:

Brady tore his acl and came back strong! 

The difference with him is that Brady doesnt rely on his legs as much as Wentz, and Brady had already been in the NFL for a long time so it doesnt affect his development as much.

The good thing about Wentz is that he is smart and has great work ethic.  He is also excellent in the pocket so Im hoping this doesnt affect him.

That news sucks but you have a tough team.  I hate it when good players go down.  I've said it before on other posts and I'll say it here.  If you appreciate the game you appreciate the players who make it great regardless of who they play for and Wentz is one of those players.  Loved the kid coming out and love watching him play except when he plays Dallas!  

44 minutes ago, JayWood2010 said:

The difference with him is that Brady doesnt rely on his legs as much as Wentz, and Brady had already been in the NFL for a long time so it doesnt affect his development as much.

The good thing about Wentz is that he is smart and has great work ethic.  He is also excellent in the pocket so Im hoping this doesnt affect him.

Wentz doesn't rely on his legs. He's as talented as a thrower as anyone else in the league. It seems like he relies on his legs because our offense sucks with pass protection and he has the ability to extend plays, but he can climb the pocket as good as anyone in the league. 

I really hope he comes back with the same movement and balance, but is a bit more cautious with taking hits. He can be a great QB without his mobility, but he simply would not be one right now or in the near future. Extending plays with his legs and making houdini escapes are what made him a special, MVP caliber, QB this year.

Who are guys in recent memory that didn't return to form after an ACL injury (while in their 20s)? Seems most skill players come back without a hitch, and for them, movement and balance is much more important than it is for a QB. That gives me hope. Every case is different though, so they say, which is why I'm going to be holding my breathe until week 1 of next season.

Losing Wentz may be irreplaceable. Make no mistake, the Iggles will put up a ferocious contest non the less. But I am left with one thought regarding Foles. I they thought he was the guy to lead them to a bowl, especially after his 27 TD to 2 INT playoff season, then why would they have traded him in the first place???

Is their footage of when he tore his ACL, since they're saying it wasn't the hit? Guess it doesn't make a difference, but I was actually kind of hoping it was the hit that caused it since that's a lot more flukey in my book, odds of getting hit sufficiently hard enough at that specific angle to tear a ligament have to be very small and is something a player can be conscious about to avoid.

Wentz will be fine. He doesn't "rely" on his legs to play the position. That was just an added bonus. He was already a wizard on his feet; we don't need him to be that. I also don't think tearing an ACL will immobilize him.

What will change is play calling and attitude. And to be honest, these will be for the better. The read option/RPO stuff is cute, but we're not going to run our freaking franchise quarterback at NFL defenses anymore. At least, we shouldn't. We hopefully also won't see Carson sacrifice his body during regular season games. Save that stuff for the playoffs.

The only silver lining to this is hopefully it opens Doug's eyes to just running the damn football with your runningbacks. Especially when you carry four or whatever of them.

10 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Is their footage of when he tore his ACL, since they're saying it wasn't the hit? Guess it doesn't make a difference, but I was actually kind of hoping it was the hit that caused it since that's a lot more flukey in my book, odds of getting hit sufficiently hard enough at that specific angle to tear a ligament have to be very small and is something a player can be conscious about to avoid.

They said it was likely he tore it on the plant before he took off. He probably pushed off realized something happened which made his legs go sort of dead allowing that hit. 

Brady by far is not a statue in the pocket. The way he climbs, and moves usually downfield, that is how Carson should approach the pocket going forward. Will he, I don't know we complained that Vick couldn't get out of his own way in terms of staying healthy while learning how to protect himself. Hopefully Carson is young enough he could learn from this and allow that mindset to be altered going forward.  

Archived