Is Antonio Brown a Top 10 WR of All Time?

footbull3196

Is Antonio brown a top 10 WR of all time?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is Antonio brown a top 10 WR of all time?

• Yes
    • No, he's top 15-20
    • No, outside of top 20

Legacy/Resume-wise I would think so. With the numbers he's racking up it would be hard to not to consider it. Would be interesting to see some of the top receivers in NFL history be put in his situation with Big Ben, and how they fare. 

If I had a team and could have five receivers on it from any era in their prime, Antonio Brown is probably getting one of the spots. :)

I would say so, yeah.  Since 2013, his average season is 116 receptions, 1565 yards, and 10 touchdowns.  

Even when you account for inflation, that is insane.  There are only 7 other WRs in the same span that have even had seasons with 1500 yards.  There is a good chance he records a 2nd 1800+ yard season.  He's mastered the position.  He is one of those rare players that you just accept is going to have a big game and there is nothing you can do about it. 

Considering his style of game and that he's avoided injuries so far, I could see him being able to at least make a push for Rice's yardage mark.  Rice was a 9072 yards before age 30.  Barring injury, Brown should be able to get to 10,000 this year.  He's at 9886 right now.  

I remember a poll awhile back asking who was better between Brown and Calvin Johnson.  I took Johnson at the time, but I'm beginning to change my mind on that. 

Absolutely.  A lot of people have more receptions, yards, TDs etc. in their careers than he does, which is nice and all, but there's maybe 6-7 guys in the history of the NFL who had primes at the level that Brown has displayed since 2013.

I voted yes just to be a homer since I wasn't expecting him to be ranked so high considering how he did in https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/4553-top-20-wide-receivers-of-the-last-20-years/.

Good to see people recognizing AB's work now.

He will hopefully/probably match Calvin Johnson for the fastest player to 10,000 yards receiving at 115 games, which is amazing when you consider that Brown played his first 9 games as a backup backup and only got 167 yards across all 9 of those.

If the Steelers can get a decent QB to replace Ben soon then I think AB (barring injuries) easily makes it to second all time in receptions and receiving yards before he retires.

I had started a similar topic on the Steeler forum BEFORE last night's game; wondering if he was a HOF WR already or not. Meaning, if he sustained, heaven forbid, a career-ending injury, would he get in? My argument is based upon his 3 straight 1st Team All-Pros, that it would be a good potentiality, but if he get's his 4th straight this year, he'll be the only WR since Rice to have done so. I believe the second he's awarded that 4th 1st Team All-Pro, if it does happen (which, being 275yds in front of his closest competitor, and being 2nd in TDs, with 3 games to play, and the fact that they award 2 each season, I think he has a better than average shot of getting one of them), that he will be a HOF Lock. Of course, getting at least 10,000 yds is symbolic, but that should be accomplished by season's end.

Then, add in his 5/50 streak, which was publicly tracked for some time, plus him being the first player to ever have a season with both 1000 Return Yds/1000 Receiving Yds, also helps his case. I know, the 5/50 thing is 'fluky' but it received press, and is memorable, and those kind of things matter, I believe, even if just a little bit.

But what you are saying, AkronsWitness, is true.  Those that lend credence to longevity, and feel that being really good for a long time will say 'no way', yet those that feel being at the pinnacle of ones position for 4 years straight, as well as having a couple of 'good' complimentary seasons as well,  like Earl Campbell or Terrell Davis will feel he's done enough.

Basically, anyone who feels Calvin Johnson is a To 10 WR All Time, also should feel AB is; If you don't think CJ did enough to earn that title, than you probably do not think Brown has either, because give Brown one more season, and he's very near CJ's Career Ydg mark.  And where Brown has unusually high receptions (already tied with CJ), his TDs are likely 2-3 seasons away from catching up.

Anyway, Steeler fans are biased, so of course we think Brown is 'approaching' Top 10 WR territory, but it's going to be hard to argue against in the coming seasons, and especially if Brown does get that 4th AP All-Pro this year. Those types of accolades go beyond 'bias'.

I'm assuming you mean if his career ended today because you're asking the question if he is right now and not if he will be.  In that case, I'm not sure because I haven't looked and tried to compare.  I believe Antonio Brown is just under 10,000 receiving yards and doesn't have 70 receiving TD's yet.  He has had an absolutely absurd five year span that would rank up there with anyone as the best five year span ever. 

Right now, I think he is honestly closer to a guy like Torry Holt than he is to some of the greatest ever like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, etc.  But that's if his career ended today.  If he keeps playing at a high level over the years then there's no question he would be one of the best to ever do it.

Archived