Day 1 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

15 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I've actually seen some draft media praise MN's draft so far. Am I the only one who thinks it's downright laughable? They seem to really think more highly of their roster than I did with these "all-in" moves. The Vikings fans looking for any way to cope in the comments is quite sad.

I mean, in a vacuum they got two good players, but from a team-building lens it's whacky process. Hopefully they can hit on some UDFA's because those guys will be pulling purple jerseys in the next couple of years. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

I mean, in a vacuum they got two good players, but from a team-building lens it's whacky process. Hopefully they can hit on some UDFA's because those guys will be pulling purple jerseys in the next couple of years. 

They've essentially traded away next year's draft (including this current one) for McCarthy and Turner. That's baffling to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I've actually seen some draft media praise MN's draft so far. Am I the only one who thinks it's downright laughable? They seem to really think more highly of their roster than I did with these "all-in" moves. The Vikings fans looking for any way to cope in the comments is quite sad.

I think it was a good draft in the sense that they clearly got the players they wanted. Turner was good value, and while I don't live McCarthy, clearly the Vikings did.

It's a terrible draft in terms of the value they gave up to get to that point.

I do think both of those things can be true at the same time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I reallly wonder what Deebo looks like if he isn't getting schemed open in that dominant Niners offense.... I don't think he fits many teams.

Eh, if you can't find a way to use someone as good with the ball in his hands as Deebo, you probably shouldn't be running an NFL offense.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh, if you can't find a way to use someone as good with the ball in his hands as Deebo, you probably shouldn't be running an NFL offense.

I think its more if you can make it worth the draft pick + contract. That said, if you have the cap space, its not the hardest sell to trade for him.

19 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I reallly wonder what Deebo looks like if he isn't getting schemed open in that dominant Niners offense.... I don't think he fits many teams.

People overthink this way too much. He's a dominant freak with the ball in his hands. 

He's a guy that works versus zone and not so much against man. You give him some slants, in-breakers and bubbles and let him do his things...these really aren't exclusive to Shanny and like half the teams in the league run some variation of the offense. 

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:
18 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Beyond that, Joe Brady came up under Sean Payton, who made use of both Reggie Bush and Kamara in similar capacities.  I think NFL fans fall into the habit of judging Joe Brady off of what he was stuck doing with Teddy Bridgewater, a beyond-broken Cam, and Sam Darnold... not to mention some pretty hapless OL's... and they still made quality use of Curtis Samuel (who is kind of a poor man's Deebo anyway - and might be the biggest impetus to Deebo on Buffalo's roster currently).  But with regard to Samuel, if you can get the better/younger (albeit not by a ton) version for a middling investment, why not do it?

27 minutes ago, General Tso said:

4th (close to a 3rd rounder) and a 6th imo

I could see it. Also wouldn't be if it were a situation where they give up like pick 124 + Deebo for pick 68 from the Pats and basically just do a pick swap 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

People overthink this way too much. He's a dominant freak with the ball in his hands. 

He's a guy that works versus zone and not so much against man. You give him some slants, in-breakers and bubbles and let him do his things...these really aren't exclusive to Shanny and like half the teams in the league run some variation of the offense. 

I mean I see your point. I just think he isn't reaching the highs he has with Shanny in a lot of other spots personally. He would clearly be an asset to numerous teams, but is he having the same level of success? I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

I mean, if JJ McCarthy is their franchise QB and Dallas Turner turns into an impact pass rusher, nobody is going to care about those future picks.