Day 1 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nah, this was expected with or without Aiyuk. I think that ship sailed on Aiyuk. Deebo still has a chance to go. 

But next year, Deebo is definitely gone and so is Jennings. 

We all thought it would be Ladd though 

I think Pearsall was easily the superior WR to Ladd. So if you guys were going for the great route runner with speed profile, then I think Pearsall was definitely the better option.

1) the durability over what Ladd has shown is easily going to be something you can rely on.

2) He’s also more productive and bigger to boot. I like his profile better in that regard as well.

Though I still wasn’t expecting that pick at all, they probably could’ve trade down and got their guy. Kind of doesn’t make sense to not maximize value.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Not trying to be a smart *** but I don't keep track - who's the last good name to play on their 5th year option? Feel like if you hit on a player well enough they usually get extended before then

Lamar

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Though I still wasn’t expecting that pick at all, they probably could’ve trade down and got their guy. Kind of doesn’t make sense to not maximize value.

That is just not something the 49ers have ever done.. it's ridiculous but they just don't want to take any risks at all I guess

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hoping for a third

Not much cap relief right away but if they want to re-sign Aiyuk they have to clear cash going forward.  Deebo is limited but he’s such a good eye test player that I think they can get a worthy pick.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr LBC said:

Desperation, you are a stinky cologne.

The Falcons taking Penix at 8 has distracted from Bowers being an odd pick for the Raiders at 13. Obviously he's a great player, but they just took Mayer in the 2nd last year and had huge needs elsewhere on the roster. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think Pearsall was easily the superior WR to Ladd. So if you guys were going for the great route runner with speed profile, then I think Pearsall was definitely the better option.

1) the durability over what Ladd has shown is easily going to be something you can rely on.

2) He’s also more productive and bigger to boot. I like his profile better in that regard as well.

This is pretty much how I feel about a lot. I'm usually a pretty aggressive draft hater, but I'm a niner fan who actually liked Pearsall for once lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I understand prospect rankings really start to differ towards the end of round 1, but man, Ladd and Coleman are definitely better receivers than Pearsall and Legette. 

The Bills have a chance to be huge winners if they take Ladd at 33 tomorrow. While I love Coleman, he wouldn't be a great fit in Buffalo. They need someone who can win on the outside. 

They're not "better," they're different. Legette and Pearsall have skills to play X receiver (Pearsall has Z flexibility) while Ladd is a Z with Slot flexibility and Keon is probably just a big Slot. It's about what skills teams want and what positions and routes they need for their offense. It's not Madden where there's generic OVR rating and receivers all play the same position.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is pretty much how I feel about a lot. I'm usually a pretty aggressive draft hater, but I'm a niner fan who actually liked Pearsall for once lol

Yeah I absolutely loved the pick. Just reinforces my opinion of Lynch as the best GM in the league. Pearsall has been slept on HARD but I have him as 24 on my board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Pearsall is a fine prospect. He's just a victim of mock draft hivemind semi-arbitrarily mocking him lower. He's fine in the second tier of WR prospects. I prefer Ladd but Pearsall is productive, athletic and a good scheme fit. Don't hate the pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Terrible pick for AZ. 

Nah. Mocked him to AZ a lot at 35 overall. Most mocks I did went Harrison at 4, Kool Aid at 27, Darius Robinson at 36. They got him 8 picks earlier. He's a very powerful base end who can kick inside. Really like the pick. Crazy powerful and can line up all along the DL. He's not gonna be a 12 sack guy but he can be a pretty good pass rusher and he's immediately a major upgrade against the run, where the team has REALLY struggled for years. He's several inches shorter but he has some Calais Campbell to him. 285, got a 1.7 ten yard split, his arms are like 3/4" shorter though. But a powerful DL and a strong leader.