Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

32. Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta Falcons first round draft choice quarterback Michael Penix Jr., speaks during a news conference Friday, April 26, 2024, in Flowery Branch, Ga. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

This Class In One Sentence:

Oh baby, what is you doing?

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

EDGE, WR, CB, QB, DL, S, LB

Selections

8. Michael Penix Jr. | QB | Washington

35. Ruke Orhorhoro | DL | Clemson

74. Bralen Trice | EDGE | Washington

109. Brandon Dorlus | DL | Oregon

143. JD Bertrand | LB | Notre Dame

186. Jase McClellan | RB | Alabama

187. Casey Washington | WR | Illinois

197. Zion Logue | DL | Georgia

Best Pick

You know, it’s probably a toss-up between Trice at 74 and Dorlus at 109. I think those are good value selections without being significant needle movers. Trice had some first-round hype early in the process with a heavy athletic concern caveat. He’s endured a weird draft process, appearing to lose thirty pounds on his listed weight in an attempt to test well, and then failing to do that. He does play with a real sense of urgency, can convert speed to power, and has a nasty cross-chop.

Dorlus is a versatile defensive lineman with a tweenerish build. He doesn’t have an obvious starting role in the NFL, but does have a decent set of rush tools including a patented spin move. I like the potential of rushing him from the inside on those third-and-longs because he has a rush plan. He’s not a plus-run defender, however.

Worst Pick

Right, allow me to flex these fingers…

Park the fact Atlanta’s new rookie quarterback is 24, has a daunting injury history, and could, very realistically, be 27 when Kirk is out of Atlanta – by which time you’ve burned years off a crucial rookie QB window. Park that fact. Regardless, this is still the biggest galaxy-brained selection of recent memory because there appears to have been no real consideration for the egos of those involved.

The Falcons prised Cousins away from Minnesota by paying him face-of-the-franchise money, then only gave him a quick courtesy call when they were OTC. Man, they needed to fluff those pillows a whole while longer, my dudes, because there are so many questions. If you were enamoured with Michael Penix, when did this happen exactly? You gave Kirk Cousins that contract AFTER the combine and then didn’t even invite the new man into the building for a 30 visit, why? And what actually happened between then and now? And how did you manage to make a selection that made me feel bad for two guys at once? And why did NFLN manage to ruin a brilliant draft moment by allowing Rapsheet to tip the pick a minute or so before? Why did they think that was a good idea?

And as for Penix, man, he might have been the one quarterback in this draft that wasn’t a development project if you had to name one. He’s old and experienced, he needs live reps. He is a great dude, and does have a great arm and will attack deep and keep going. He’s probably the purest passing quarterback in the class even if it was difficult to separate him from an outstanding supporting cast at Washington, who bailed him out on errant throws from time to time. Still, when you stack it up, that’s a trade back into the first-round type of selection at best.

Overall

Apparently, at some point, the ‘Green Bay QB Model’ of passing on the QB torch became so alluring that all sense departed when draft time arrived. Certainly, in a vacuum, it’s a noble pursuit and goal to have pursued. But the trouble is, Atlanta’s wily veteran starting QB hasn’t yet stepped in the building and their eager rookie isn’t some raw 20-year-old in dire need of seasoning. So, it’s an odd execution of that vision, one you might have more sympathy for if the choice was JJ McCarthy who many believed to have been a better prospect. Having to defend the pick is an ominous start to the Raheem Morris era, a beloved and highly regarded coach, who appears to have had a key input into the decision. One of the key factors in his departure in Tampa Bay was that he had strange ideas on key personnel decisions.

Nowhere near as bad at the pick at 8, the second odd decision of the weekend was choosing to part with a third-rounder to move up for Ruke Orhorhoro at 35. When that trade was announced, I wouldn’t have guessed that name in fifty guesses – not when looking down the list of needs. Ruke does have good functional strength and can win with speed and power as a rusher. He’s got a five-tech build, probably better suited inside in an odd front – but he’s not as thick in the lower half and gets moved around on double teams. Overall, it just adds to the weirdness of day 1. 

As a result of the shenanigans at 8, the Falcons still don’t have ‘the guy’ at Edge they have so badly needed since John Abraham was in town. Even if they didn’t love three good options there, the phone must have been ringing from QB-hungry teams. As it is, the selections of Ruke, Trice and Dorlus are decent make-up attempts but add up to a continuation of ‘rush by committee’ which hasn’t been enough. No selection at Corner at all seems egregious given the need and how deep that class ran. And while the day three selections are solid dart throws, they were never going to be enough to turn round the sort of head-scratching draft nobody could have seen coming.

• Like 18

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (Falcons at 32)

I am not even exaggerating when I say this was possibly the dumbest draft pick Ive ever seen.   Not the WORST, mind you, but a pick that made no sense no matter how you look at it.

Sure, I get the logic....kind of.   The vet QB you signed is getting older and you want someone to groom behind him.  From that standpoint, I get it.

However, it still made no sense.

You just gave Cousins a massive 4 year deal, PRESUMABLY to win NOW.    I get the "have one eye on the present and one eye on the future" type of logic....but this was about the worst way to go about it.  

In the very FIRST year of this deal, and pethaps even the 2nd year....they absolutely should have been trying to build around Cousins and this team during the limited window.   The Falcons are not a great all around team.   They have a few nice pieces on offense and a pretty middling defense that needs alot of work.   I get they used other picks on defense, but they could’ve traded down, got a future 1st or 2nd, and still gotten one of the top end defenders that woukd have helped IMMEDIATELY.   Or hell..stay put and give Cousins another weapon in Rome Odunze.

If Cousins was on a 2 year deal, or Penix was a 21 YO, one year starter that needed alot of coaching up....okay.   But he isnt.   As @goldfishwars stated, he is a 24 year old, largely pro ready NFL QB with the knees of a 40 year old.    Not that he couldn't sit for a year....but this will be, AT LEAST, 2 seasons on the bench unless there is an injury, and probably 3 years.

They could have easily waited AT LEAST one year to see what happened.   I know the supposed logic was "We probably wont be picking this high again, so we better take the QB".

Problem is that, while I kind of like Penix...he is nowhere close to a blue chip prospect.   In fact, Id say he isnt even worth a 1st rd pick at all.   Obviously, thats my opinion and maybe they see elite upside in him, but it doesn't change the fact that they paid Cousins to win immediately, and that should have absolutely been their main focus.

None of what I am saying is groundbreaking, as mostly everyone is saying something similar....but the Penix pick was the equivalent of a school student trying to write an entire essay an hour before class starts.   Not much research or logic went into making it.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

32. Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta Falcons first round draft choice quarterback Michael Penix Jr., speaks during a news conference Friday, April 26, 2024, in Flowery Branch, Ga. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

This Class In One Sentence:

Oh baby, what is you doing?

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

EDGE, WR, CB, QB, DL, S, LB

Selections

8. Michael Penix Jr. | QB | Washington

35. Ruke Orhorhoro | DL | Clemson

74. Bralen Trice | EDGE | Washington

109. Brandon Dorlus | DL | Oregon

143. JD Bertrand | LB | Notre Dame

186. Jase McClellan | RB | Alabama

187. Casey Washington | WR | Illinois

197. Zion Logue | DL | Georgia

Best Pick

You know, it’s probably a toss-up between Trice at 74 and Dorlus at 109. I think those are good value selections without being significant needle movers. Trice had some first-round hype early in the process with a heavy athletic concern caveat. He’s endured a weird draft process, appearing to lose thirty pounds on his listed weight in an attempt to test well, and then failing to do that. He does play with a real sense of urgency, can convert speed to power, and has a nasty cross-chop.

Dorlus is a versatile defensive lineman with a tweenerish build. He doesn’t have an obvious starting role in the NFL, but does have a decent set of rush tools including a patented spin move. I like the potential of rushing him from the inside on those third-and-longs because he has a rush plan. He’s not a plus-run defender, however.

Worst Pick

Right, allow me to flex these fingers…

Park the fact Atlanta’s new rookie quarterback is 24, has a daunting injury history, and could, very realistically, be 27 when Kirk is out of Atlanta – by which time you’ve burned years off a crucial rookie QB window. Park that fact. Regardless, this is still the biggest galaxy-brained selection of recent memory because there appears to have been no real consideration for the egos of those involved.

The Falcons prised Cousins away from Minnesota by paying him face-of-the-franchise money, then only gave him a quick courtesy call when they were OTC. Man, they needed to fluff those pillows a whole while longer, my dudes, because there are so many questions. If you were enamoured with Michael Penix, when did this happen exactly? You gave Kirk Cousins that contract AFTER the combine and then didn’t even invite the new man into the building for a 30 visit, why? And what actually happened between then and now? And how did you manage to make a selection that made me feel bad for two guys at once? And why did NFLN manage to ruin a brilliant draft moment by allowing Rapsheet to tip the pick a minute or so before? Why did they think that was a good idea?

And as for Penix, man, he might have been the one quarterback in this draft that wasn’t a development project if you had to name one. He’s old and experienced, he needs live reps. He is a great dude, and does have a great arm and will attack deep and keep going. He’s probably the purest passing quarterback in the class even if it was difficult to separate him from an outstanding supporting cast at Washington, who bailed him out on errant throws from time to time. Still, when you stack it up, that’s a trade back into the first-round type of selection at best.

Overall

Apparently, at some point, the ‘Green Bay QB Model’ of passing on the QB torch became so alluring that all sense departed when draft time arrived. Certainly, in a vacuum, it’s a noble pursuit and goal to have pursued. But the trouble is, Atlanta’s wily veteran starting QB hasn’t yet stepped in the building and their eager rookie isn’t some raw 20-year-old in dire need of seasoning. So, it’s an odd execution of that vision, one you might have more sympathy for if the choice was JJ McCarthy who many believed to have been a better prospect. Having to defend the pick is an ominous start to the Raheem Morris era, a beloved and highly regarded coach, who appears to have had a key input into the decision. One of the key factors in his departure in Tampa Bay was that he had strange ideas on key personnel decisions.

Nowhere near as bad at the pick at 8, the second odd decision of the weekend was choosing to part with a third-rounder to move up for Ruke Orhorhoro at 35. When that trade was announced, I wouldn’t have guessed that name in fifty guesses – not when looking down the list of needs. Ruke does have good functional strength and can win with speed and power as a rusher. He’s got a five-tech build, probably better suited inside in an odd front – but he’s not as thick in the lower half and gets moved around on double teams. Overall, it just adds to the weirdness of day 1. 

As a result of the shenanigans at 8, the Falcons still don’t have ‘the guy’ at Edge they have so badly needed since John Abraham was in town. Even if they didn’t love three good options there, the phone must have been ringing from QB-hungry teams. As it is, the selections of Ruke, Trice and Dorlus are decent make-up attempts but add up to a continuation of ‘rush by committee’ which hasn’t been enough. No selection at Corner at all seems egregious given the need and how deep that class ran. And while the day three selections are solid dart throws, they were never going to be enough to turn round the sort of head-scratching draft nobody could have seen coming.

Some great points in here.  These aren’t computer programs.  They are people.  Emotions and reps and ego and owners and coaches and fans and media and social media matters IRL.

You made a really risky set of moves.  

• Like 2

I just listened to the PFF first round recap, and Steve palazzolo is carrying a lot of water for his boy Zac Robinson. Basically "they think he's a good qb. qb valuable. Take qb no matter what"

The same stupid idea he's been spewing for years- just take a bunch of qbs until you "find that guy"

As if this is a video game where guys have a hidden overall rating that you can't see until they are in the building

Edited by adamq
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Best read on the website.

I second this. 

If the main page was still getting updates, the way to early content he puts up would be a click driver.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I second this. 

If the main page was still getting updates, the way to early content he puts up would be a click driver.

Its the genuine thought process and homework he does on it too which makes it great.

Its not just some half arsed list where he just lists the team and thats it.

Also could be onto something about it driving clicks.

Edited by Sad People
  • Like 1

@goldfishwars made excellent multiple points about the Penix selection, which will unfortunately define Atlanta's executive decisions for quite some time. Barring Kirk blowing up another essential body part early in this Falcons career, goldie predicates his low team ranking on the most obvious, and crucial, personnel point - that Penix is the most ready to go QB of the pack, yet is being asked to sit for a minimum of one year, if not three.

the Vikings are tangentially tied to Atlanta, or were at least, and will move on from them and Cousins readily. plenty of jokes and memes out there about the situation already, here's the top one in my mind:

"it's as if the Vikings divorced their first wife over money issues and are already seeing a cute 21 year old blonde, while their ex has just been cheated on..."

• Like 3

I think everyone but the most delusional of Falcons fans would agree that the Falcons had the worst draft, and everyone expected them at 32.

If Penix is good, and does push Cousins out sooner rather than later, I guess the argument could be made that the Falcons didn’t have an awful draft, they had an awful free agency.

Even beyond Penix though, Bertrand seemed like a big reach too. And Dorlus is a weird tweener. And trading up for Ruke with Newton still on the board, not to mention some corners, is also a not good looking move.

Bad draft all around from the look of it.

• Like 5

Always love reading this thread yearly.

To piggyback on the human, emotional element of the Penix/Cousins situation. Damian Harris was on a Yahoo Sports podcast and really made a great point. He mentioned how the locker room still really doesn’t know Cousins. Whether they publicly admit it or not, guys in the locker room kinda lean one way or another to a specific guy when it’s a “QB decision”.  And with the makeup of Atlanta skill guys being younger guys, they’ll probably connect closer with Penix over Cousins. If Penix does light it up in practice or in limited PT, it’s going to get even more awkward and uncomfortable in the locker room (he compared it to when he was at Bama during the Hurts/Tua year). And he certainly has the arm talent to create that buzz when given a chance. And that doesn’t even include the whole fan aspect of it all.

Just a dumbfounding pick for all the reasons you laid, plus more.

• Like 6

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)
  • Webmaster featured this topic