Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You can tell OBJ wants badly to come play for JLove but Rodgers is hindering this with his refusal to restructure.

I was hoping we could cut a clean and simple deal. He wants to come here - we've got 4M - so give him 1M and be done with it.

That gets him in the door - leaves us some petty cash to pay the light bill - and we move on. 

Maybe he wanted more. Dont know / cant say what the $$$ being discussed were.

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Do you think Rodgers has the power to make this happen if he wanted to?

Probably bad timing after the Covid rant last week, but if he went to Gute, does it happen?

I have no idea if Rodgers has even remote interest in OBJ.

Doubt we’re gonna hear Rodger’s opinion on OBJ.  His clout, and his opinion have prolly taken a huge nosedive with the organization at the moment.

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Do you think Rodgers has the power to make this happen if he wanted to? Probably bad timing after the Covid rant last week, but if he went to Gute, does it happen? I have no idea if Rodgers has even remote interest in OBJ.

To properly answer this we'd have to know what the FO attitude towards AR actually is - and we dont.
We have a composite understanding gleaned from a myriad of sources - which isnt necessarily the truth.

For all we know, the FO might see AR as dead man walking. Knowing that one way or the other he's gone after this year.

8 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I have no idea if Rodgers has even remote interest in OBJ.

I'd offer my opinion on this: he should - because it would help the offense.
AR certainly should know that outside of Davante we're seriously deficient in the passing game.

WRs 2 & 3 have given us nothing much at all - and now we're down the only TE receiving threat we had. Alrighty-now! Go Pack Go! 

Not too tough to figure out and if I can - he certainly should as well. If he's seriously interesting in a SB ring....adding OBJ at a decent price would have been a no brainer. Little downside that I can see.

3 hours ago, craig said:

I don't think that jives with the Cleveland article.  It suggested that he didn't stress the details, and instead ran his own routes, not the routes that were scripted or expected.  Not sure how I see that being much of a fit for Rodgers.  At all.  Of course, perhaps on every play a receiver is reading the defense, and the QB is reading the defense, so I suppose perhaps Rodgers and Odell might both read it the right way, and its Mayfield who didn't understand the options built into their plays, beats me.  

But yeah, given the importance of blocking and of going where Rodgers anticipates, hard to see how he'd be much of a fit or get many snaps or targets with the Packers.  

Still, as Alex noted, what's the risk?  *IF* the Packers were to sign him, all it would indicate is that there's a chance that he might be more usable than Malik or some other special teamer.  Given how bad our special teams is, I'm not sure that replacing some end-of-roster ST guy like Malik is going to do us any damage, so I have no objection to taking a look, *IF* Rodgers and the Packers feel like doing so.  

I'm really not sure I buy that analysis. Odell's tape is him getting open quite a bit, and not getting the ball nearly enough. That to me unravelled after 2 to 3 seasons of repetition. I also think especially as a second read he could be really useful, as in he finds the soft spot, gap, or whatever and it doesn't really matter if his route is textbook because you can count on him being open, something we literally can't count on with anybody else. I may be wrong, but that is just how I kind of see it.    

To put it differently, I didn't see them asking him to clear or do something useful for another player where he refused to do it, that is sort of hard to unpack obviously, but I saw him adjust to slants for example when there was clearly inside leverage and help. Which to me means Baker is locked into the slant even if its not there, but again there is probably more tape out there than I am able to watch. Like something Rodgers could probably tell pre-snap, that pisses Baker off because that is an easily int if Odell doesn't commit.

Edited by oldmansmell

This is from three hours ago and (I think) is the same source that also has said they expect OBJ to sign with NE.  So, I've no clue whats up or down at this stage.....

NFL Rumors -  Odell Beckham Jr. talked to Patriots and Bill Belichick and spoke with Randy Moss as well. OBJ reportedly talked to the Packers as well and will make his choice tomorrow.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

NFL Rumors -  Barring any last-minute change, we are told that Odell Beckham Jr. will join the New England #Patriots tomorrow.

///

So there.

I believe that tweet is citing the same source.  The original source seems to have some sort of connection with the NE front office, but it's highly unlikely that he's the one breaking the news.  My guess is someone inside the Patriots' FO thinks he's likely to sign with them, and the original source is jumping the gun to make his claim that he was first.  But you see him back tracking.  It's @CJGolson if you want to check out his Twitter page.

Yesterday, he said that the Patriots would sign OBJ if he cleared waivers.

You can see him hedging his bet from that point forward.  IF OBJ signs somewhere else tomorrow, you'll probably talk about some significant change that he didn't foresee.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is from three hours ago and (I think) is the same source that also has said they expect OBJ to sign with NE.
So, I've no clue whats up or down at this stage.....

NFL Rumors -  Odell Beckham Jr. talked to Patriots and Bill Belichick and spoke with Randy Moss as well.
OBJ reportedly talked to the Packers as well and will make his choice tomorrow.

IF those are the choices, He can move to Green Bay for 3 months and get a shot at a ring, or probably get more money and take your Super Bowl shot with a rookie QB.  

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m always curious how these dudes on Twitter get this intel.  It’s not that I don’t trust it, I’m more curious how this stuff gets leaked.

Usually it's for more favorable press.  You put more positive spin on articles, they get fed a few breadcrumbs.  And @Arthur Penske, he appears more legit then CJGolson.