Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Clark is 28, and is good, and doesn't have a history of lingering injuries.  He's not lazy or entitled, and seems a good chemist.  

Obviously Packers don't determine extensions, the agent plays in that too.  But I think it makes good sense to try.  It's not like he's Chris Jones great and is going to command that kind of commitment.  

Make a Packer-sensible offer.  In the National Injury League, there is value to getting guaranteed money before playing an injury-risk season.  If Packers offer extension now, Clark's agent needs to trim some cost to get the guaranteed money.  Gute/Ball are pretty careful, so I'm sure they aren't going to guarantee top-of-market money while swallowing the full season of injury risk.  

I think Clark has settled in well with the Packers and the coaches.  And he must see we've got chances to bowl.  I'd guess all else equal, he'd like to stay.  

I think the biggest thing with Clark is a DT that can both rush the passer and defend the run as good as him are extremely rare. It would be almost impossible to replace him unless you strike gold in the draft. 

And regarding the 2020 draft.  Fair to give GB and A for this draft now that we have an idea of what Jordan Love is?

Love, Dillon, Deguara, Martin, JRJ, Hanson, Stepaniak, Scott, Garvin.

I think it is.  When you can come out of a draft with your franchise QB, it is an A.  Add in a nice second contract for JRJ and years of starting from Deguara and I'm sold, regardless of how important Deguara was or was not.  Dillon disappointed, but he may not be quite done yet.

That entire draft to me was going to be an A or an F and it all depended on Love.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Interesting note from Gute on Halfey's study of Keisean's tape.  

That's enough to sell me.  I would love to see them draft someone that can be molded to do some of that slot stuff as well, but I'm relatively confident in Hafley.  I'm sure he saw a few things that they can refine and help improve Nixon's game.  I like that Hafley's expertise is in defensive back play. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

And regarding the 2020 draft.  Fair to give GB and A for this draft now that we have an idea of what Jordan Love is?

Love, Dillon, Deguara, Martin, JRJ, Hanson, Stepaniak, Scott, Garvin.

I think it is.  When you can come out of a draft with your franchise QB, it is an A.  Add in a nice second contract for JRJ and years of starting from Deguara and I'm sold, regardless of how important Deguara was or was not.  Dillon disappointed, but he may not be quite done yet.

That entire draft to me was going to be an A or an F and it all depended on Love.

Yes, exactly. The moment that pick happened it was functionally the only thing that mattered that weekend. 

I often sit and think about how TT’s first 2 draft picks ever were Rodgers & Collins. I’m not sure I remember any of the other picks that year without thinking very hard. And that’s an A+ draft regardless. 

• Like 1

I just listened to the Gute presser once through, so may not remember everthing.  But some comments that stuck out to me:

1. He spoke rather favorably about the safety class in the draft, said it was a good class.  (I think some posters in draft thread have been pretty negative.  Gute was not.). He said you never know how things are going to flow in the draft, so may not draft one.  But my take was that for the 2nd-3rd-4th round area where we've got a bunch of picks, that Gute sees some depth there of safeties that fit.
  2. For second safety, he said he'd prefer a young one to a vet.  And while signing some $8 vet isn't impossible, ramifications.  He may be bluffing, of course.  But I got the impression that unless somebody like Simmons comes in REALLY cheap, that Gute isn't going after any remaining safeties, until after the draft if then. 
  3. Was asked a couple of times about 4-3, strongside ILB. He said they don't scout that way.  Don't look for different traits for different ILB slots.  Given injuries guys all need to be able to handle any of the spots, play run, and defend the pass.  Also noted that 3-ILB sets will only be 10-15% of the sets anyway.  Likes McDuffie.  
  4. Likes Nixon as a starting nickle, his best football is ahead of him.  Thought he did well in his first year starting.  Like his physicality in run, and his capacity for turnovers.  
  5. Positive about Rhyan.  
  6. For Jacobs, his best football is ahead of him.  Likes him as a good all-around back, running, blocking, catching.  Positive about the man and that he wants it.  But yeah, best ahead perspective, didn't seem to think that he was beat up or over the hill.  
  7. Likewise best football ahead, and high character/leadership praise, for McKinney.  
  8. Positive about Valentine, noted that he was already capable as a starter, and noted that he thinks he will get physically stronger.  

13 minutes ago, craig said:

1. For Jacobs, his best football is ahead of him.  Likes him as a good all-around back, running, blocking, catching.  Positive about the man and that he wants it.  But yeah, best ahead perspective, didn't seem to think that he was beat up or over the hill.  
  2. Likewise best football ahead, and high character/leadership praise, for McKinney.  

Both of these guys were team captains for their teams. Many Raiders players mentioned Jacobs for keeping things together during some trying times in Vegas.   The Packers will benefit from both of these guys both on and off the field.  Just stay off the dirt bikes please. 😬

• Like 2

Was also asked about 4-3, that some 4-3 teams use smaller quicker guys at edge?  He said he likes big guys, different alignments and bigger guys can line up inside. Smaller ones have value for ST.  (But I'd figure smaller ST-oriented guys are 3rd-day UDFA guys, you don't spend 1st/2nd-day picks for ST-building.). 

Was asked about Cox.  Noted that the edge group was so unusually healthy last year that Cox really never got opportunity.