Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

37 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

He got worse as the season progressed.  11 out of his 13 missed kicks happened from week 10 and beyond.

No reason he just doesn't get any better and completely wash out of the league.

Assuming he'll get better is a terrible plan; assuming the Vikings kicker is enough competition is also suspect but a step in the right direction.

is there any proof that kickers get better over time?  Everything i've always looked at for kickers shows that previous seasons seem to have very little correlation to subsequent seasons.  it's just as likely that we saw an average carlson season as it is that we saw one of his worst seasons.  It's also entirely possible we just witnessed his best ever season.

Wait.  You mean to tell me that the kicking % got worse as he played....as in when the weather got worse?

Assuming progression from your young players is 100% what you expect.  You get no progression, you just move on.

Butker is one of the better ones, right?  Last year he was 94% on FG's, 100% on XP.  Year before?  75% on FG's, 93% on XP.  Yeah, I'd say he got better.

I don't know a lot of kickers as they are not household names, but it seems like most of them have a rough start or down year.

Janikowski started as a 69% FG kicker.  Ended his career at 80.4%.  And he was one of the better ones over time, right?

Crosby had a 64% year.  We didn't cut him, he ended as an 81% kicker.

Point being?  They are not all God's like Justin Tucker.  BTW....that guy is simply amazing.  Like he gets up every morning, eats some lightning and craps thunder.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

He got worse as the season progressed.  11 out of his 13 missed kicks happened from week 10 and beyond.

Assuming he'll get better is a terrible plan; assuming the Vikings kicker is enough competition is also suspect but a step in the right direction.

is there any proof that kickers get better over time?  Everything i've always looked at for kickers shows that previous seasons seem to have very little correlation to subsequent seasons.  it's just as likely that we saw an average carlson season as it is that we saw one of his worst seasons.  It's also entirely possible we just witnessed his best ever season.

Who is reaping the rewards for Daniel Carlson, Younghoe Koo, Cameron Dicker, Jake Elliott? The team that had them originally or the teams that were patient with them and developed them? 

• Like 4

The XP's for whatever reason seem to be mental with him. 

With all that being said I'm relieved he's no longer kicking for us, it was time to move on and find an alternative option.

MIN fan posting about Joseph shortly after he signed with GB.  Sound familiar?

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Virtually every kicker that ever kicked in the NFL improved off of his first season. As for getting worse as the season wore on that is logical, he was coming off injuries and didn't have a full off season to build up. It's understandable if he hit a wall.   

Just now, R T said:

Virtually every kicker that ever kicked in the NFL improved off of his first season. As for getting worse as the season wore on that is logical, he was coming off injuries and didn't have a full off season to build up. It's understandable if he hit a wall.   

Agree with pretty much all of this. That being said, he'll obviously need to show some clear improvement in 2024.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R T said:

Remember, he also doesn't have enough leg to kick in the NFL.  😲

• Like 2

Matt Schneidman -   Full quote from Packers prez Mark Murphy on Green Bay mayor Eric Genrich cutting off Lambeau Field lease negotiations:

"Yeah, it was disappointing. I got a call from the mayor that he was gonna cease negotiations. We're gonna stay in Green Bay. We're gonna work things out, but I guess I'd say that for us, the keys are, we've invested a lot of money in the stadium, we're not asking for any public money. I think, going forward, we're willing to put in -- and this is out to 2030 or 2040 -- we're willing to put in $1.5 billion into the stadium. We've already put over $600 million of our own money into the stadium, but given the fact that they've walked away -- we were going to go forward with $80 million in improvements to the stadium, mostly in the concourse and the concession areas, that given the status of negotiations, we're gonna halt those investments ... that's going to affect our fans and also affect us for the draft. Hopefully we can get together and negotiate an extension."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

why.

Well there are 3 ways it could go:

1) he gets better 

2) he stays the exact same 

3) he gets worse

I think it is fair to discount 2).  Between 1) and 3), I have reason to believe that spending a year in the league will give one the experience to improve.  Seems logical and reasonable to assume.  Are you trying to say a year in the league will make him worse somehow?  Or he will be *exactly* the same?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Who is reaping the rewards for Daniel Carlson, Younghoe Koo, Cameron Dicker, Jake Elliott? The team that had them originally or the teams that were patient with them and developed them? 

You want to worry about "developing" a kicker while we're competing for a SB? 

My take is that had Gute known/thought that the Packers were going to be knocking on the SB door in year 1 of Love, Carlson probably never happens. He was part of the "rebuild" that never envisioned a playoff run when it started. 

Give him his short leash in preseason. If he's struggling, put him on the PS and go get a new guy. 

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Agree with pretty much all of this. That being said, he'll obviously need to show some clear improvement in 2024.

Right. For some reason people get defensive on here when posters question Carlson. 

I'm not attacking the guy, I just want him to do his job lol. Either make more of your kicks or you're gone. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

How sure are we he got worse and it wasn't the snapper or holder who had more mistakes later in the season instead?

Fwiw, it seemed like Whelan was a phenomenal holder. He brought down several high snaps. The LS on the other hand...

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You want to worry about "developing" a kicker while we're competing for a SB? 

My take is that had Gute known/thought that the Packers were going to be knocking on the SB door in year 1 of Love, Carlson probably never happens. He was part of the "rebuild" that never envisioned a playoff run when it started. 

Give him his short leash in preseason. If he's struggling, put him on the PS and go get a new guy. 

I'm saying the notion that kickers don't improve from their rookie year is ridiculous.

• Like 1