Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Nah. Pro Bowl, sure, and I'm not denying that occasionally someone might slip through on AllPro but it's FAR more selective 

Its worse for the pro bowl, but it happens for All Pro too, especially when they are just starting to lose a step but still able to hide it. 

I think it's pretty clear watching last season vs the previous 2-3 that Simmons was a step slower last year. When that starts happening, players generally fall off FAST.

That means in that context of if he's aging out, Simmons consecutive All Pro selections are absolutely irrelevant 

Edited by spilltray
  • Like 1

So your thought process is

• GB's history with signing a 30 year old Woodson can be ignored because Woodson is special, and nobody else is likely to be effective after age 30
  • Simmons having 3 consecutive all-pro seasons is irrelevant because you believe the AP voters are lemmings who don't actually watch the NFL, and you see a player in clear decline. 

Did I miss anything?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So your thought process is

• GB's history with signing a 30 year old Woodson can be ignored because Woodson is special, and nobody else is likely to be effective after age 30
  • Simmons having 3 consecutive all-pro seasons is irrelevant because you believe the AP voters are lemmings who don't actually watch the NFL, and you see a player in clear decline. 

Did I miss anything?

One anecdotal example in Woodson is 100% irrelevant to statistical norms. Also history almost 20 years ago has no relevance on people's tendencies today.

When it comes to S especially, All Pro voters don't watch enough All-22 to see the first signs of physical decline as well as don't punish it if play is still reasonably good. He is at the edge and maybe this year, maybe next, about to hit a cliff. 

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I wouldn't call it a need. Frankly, Davis can probably be used in the Deguara role. 

If LaFleur wants to run an offence similar to the way the 49ers runs theirs then the fullback is going to be an important  consideration for us. Deguara was drafted using a 3rd round pick because he had the traits and size required to take on this role. That's how important LaFleur valued this position and the Packers were willing to invest a 3rd round pick for it. Of course for whatever reason it didn't work out.

I guarantee they will be looking for a new fullback.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I wouldn't call it a need. Frankly, Davis can probably be used in the Deguara role. 

Draft another RB in the 4th - 7th round and let Dillon play Deguara's position. Probably built more like a FB than a RB anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Draft another RB in the 4th - 7th round and let Dillon play Deguara's position. Probably built more like a FB than a RB anyway. 

On paper it makes sense, he's big and can catch.

BUT..... I don't think he's physical. He avoids playing physical as a RB and goes down at first contact. Why would he suddenly start hitting defenders as a fullback?

You basically need a linebacker who is athletic enough to catch and carry the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I don't think he will be missed much.  Kind of a failed 3rd rounder .. never liked that pick.  It seemed like they reached at the time, and he never showed much outside of a nice TD catch and run in Detroit a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

If LaFleur wants to run an offence similar to the way the 49ers runs theirs then the fullback is going to be an important  consideration for us. Deguara was drafted using a 3rd round pick because he had the traits and size required to take on this role. That's how important LaFleur valued this position and the Packers were willing to invest a 3rd round pick for it. Of course for whatever reason it didn't work out.

Ben Sinnott

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I mean, they were clearly hoping he'd turn into their version of Kyle Juszczyk.  And I'd venture a guess that he'd go higher in a re-draft.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

BUT..... I don't think he's physical. He avoids playing physical as a RB and goes down at first contact. Why would he suddenly start hitting defenders as a fullback?

You basically need a linebacker who is athletic enough to catch and carry the ball.

I've never heard anybody complain about him in pass protection. I think as a blocker, where he has to go look up one guy, he'd be fine. He's more athletic than the average, 'fullback." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Like Old Guy just noted, Dillon has always been a willing and physical blocker.  Not sure if there is some kind of blocking that Deguara did that Dillon can't do, skills-wise?  But as a blocker he's plenty physical and plenty willing. 

Obviously much of Dillon's blocking is pass protection:  the LB or DL is doing the running, you get in his way.  That's perhaps different from being the running hunter.  So, maybe being good in pass-pro is not the same as what Deguara does.  

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Love him but you'll have to spend a 3rd I think. Is that role worth it?

If we want the offense humming on all cylinders, one would think it is and Love spreads the ball around to literally everyone so it's not like Sinnott's tools would go unused/wasted.

Trust the Gute™

• Like 1