Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

My understanding is it currently doesn't directly.   The performance pay is paid out of an established fund the NFL sets aside for this purpose.   This yr I think I read it was somewhere around $350-380mil in the pool?     However, while not having a direct impact on the salary cap it can boost the guaranteed pay in the 4th yr of rookie players that earned performance pay in previous seasons, which is why Slaton and Newton's salary figures have bumped to $3+ mil this year.  That's my condensed understanding from an article I quickly read recently

For Slaton it's a great benefit as the Packers aren't releasing him even at a $3mil salary #.   For Newton, his new $3mil salary, boosted artificially by this system, may cost him his job.   Interesting dynamic the league probably needs to tweak.

I assume a player could renegotiate at his former salary in a situation where the team released them solely due to the higher salary #.

Edited by Mazrimiv

53 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

My understanding is it currently doesn't directly.   The performance pay is paid out of an established fund the NFL sets aside for this purpose.   This yr I think I read it was somewhere around $350-380mil in the pool?     However, while not having a direct impact on the salary cap it can boost the guaranteed pay in the 4th yr of rookie players that earned performance pay in previous seasons, which is why Slaton and Newton's salary figures have bumped to $3+ mil this year.  That's my condensed understanding from an article I quickly read recently

For Slaton it's a great benefit as the Packers aren't releasing him even at a $3mil salary #.   For Newton, his new $3mil salary, boosted artificially by this system, may cost him his job.   Interesting dynamic the league probably needs to tweak.

Who is Newton? 😁

Newman (Seinfeld) - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I assume a player could renegotiate at his former salary in a situation where the team released them solely due to the higher salary #.

Yeah I wouldn't imagine the League would prevent a player from taking a pay cut and forgoing the performance escalator

Edit:

Found this clause in the collective bargaining agreement and not quite sure how to interpret as it relates to this question:

Article 7, Section 4 | NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) | Over The Cap

No portion of the Proven Performance Escalator may be guaranteed for skill, football-related injury or Salary Cap-related contract termination either before or after the player has achieved the qualifiers for the Escalator.

Edited by Kampfgeist

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Who is Newton? 😁

Newman (Seinfeld) - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

LOL - good catch.    Mix of factors in that one

1] was watching videos of Jer'Zhan today and name sort of implanted

2] replied quickly without re-reading

3] Newman blows and it's easy to forget who he is or why he's on this team

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:47 AM, skibrett15 said:

There isn't for you or I, but maybe the packers can schedule one as a charter?

Sounds like the FAA or whatever regulatory body doesn't feel comfy having a return flight from Brazil coming to Green Bay because of customs or w/e

Big difference in accepting a flight from London than from Brazil.

I thought it was more about the capacity/ ability of the plane as far as distance.... Gb to London is 3800 miles; GB to Rio is 5500

56 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I thought it was more about the capacity/ ability of the plane as far as distance.... Gb to London is 3800 miles; GB to Rio is 5500

I think it's a matter of runway length. Green Bay doesn't have a runway long enough for the takeoff of a plane carrying the amount of fuel it takes to go from Green Bay to Sao Paulo. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I think it's a matter of runway length. Green Bay doesn't have a runway long enough for the takeoff of a plane carrying the amount of fuel it takes to go from Green Bay to Sao Paulo. 

I mean, they can go like regular people.  If you or I were going to Sao Paulo, we would probably have a connecting flight too.  And if it is a chartered flight, which it is, they wouldn't even have to get off the plane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, they can go like regular people.  If you or I were going to Sao Paulo, we would probably have a connecting flight too.  And if it is a chartered flight, which it is, they wouldn't even have to get off the plane.

It's definitely possible to get the Packers to Brazil. Murphys lobbying for some kind of concession. Or maybe he just really doesn't want the squad to go down there.