Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

39 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

...I'm saying that some improve and some don't.  Any other opinion is ridiculous.

Who knows if Carlson will improve.  Hopefully he does, but there were serious concerns in training camp and the team decided to roll the dice with him.  Hopefully they don't do the same thing this season.  Make your kicks in practice or go learn to kick away from the team.

Yup, absolutely.  Some improve, some don't.  Nothing unusual there.  I tend to remember the guys that either start-and-stay good, or else who improve and become reasonably good, because those are the guys that hang in the league.  But other young guys don't improve, wash out, and are forgotten.  

I'm optimistic that Carlson will improve and be good.  I supported going with him last year, in what I expected to be a rebuild season.  I support giving him a full opportunity this round.  But yeah, no certainty that he'll become good.  Possible, not certain.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spilltray said:

All Pro is meaningless. McKinney is clearly the better S last year and probably the year before and he didn't get it. If the Broncos didn't feel he was losing a step he probably wouldn't have been released.

They were so far over the cap due to the Wilson contract hitting right away that they had to release a lot of those guys.  

53 minutes ago, spilltray said:

If the Broncos didn't feel he was losing a step he probably wouldn't have been released.

Wasn’t the primary reason that he was released bcuz their cap has been crippled by Wilson’s albatross contract?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Wasn’t the primary reason that he was released bcuz their cap has been crippled by Wilson’s albatross contract?

That and the timeline. Paying this year or next, Simmons does nothing for them except get them further from the top of the 2025 draft.

I think Seans a genius. Dump the contracts this year, hell probably trade back from 12 this year. suck real hard,  next year whatever high pick QB you get. Little bit of cap to bridge and show management some progress. 2026 probably another top 10ish pick and cap to play with should be ready to go.

Payton knows he's got a comfy cushion now. He'll be year 4 of his time there before he's expected to really go. Unless they find a QB this year that expedites the timeline.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Done.  Except for age.  Amos was 24-25 when we signed him.  Amos is 30 now.  So we had him for his prime, minus one year.

Simmons is already 30.  If it were me, he's a one year contract guy.  Full of incentives.  

Amos was that young?  Jeez... I thought we signed him at like 28 or 29.  LOL.

Not that I am an advocate of Simmons, or anyone really.  But there has to be a way to structure the contract that he gets a little more than market year one, then is easy to cut in subsequent seasons.  We have money until we need to start making decisions after 2025.

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Amos was that young?  Jeez... I thought we signed him at like 28 or 29.  LOL.

Not that I am an advocate of Simmons, or anyone really.  But there has to be a way to structure the contract that he gets a little more than market year one, then is easy to cut in subsequent seasons.  We have money until we need to start making decisions after 2025.

I was surprised as well.  He was real similar in age to McKinney, so that does kind of make sense.  What is just nuts to me is how quickly he fell off a cliff, playing wise, despite being like 29 or 30.

I agree about Simmons.  I thought I read where his expected contract is 11M for one year.  

I'm not sure, but offering a 6M deal with another 6M of incentives would be a nice win...for us.  Not so much for him.

But, even that takes money away from our cap...which means less to roll over for our own players in the future.

So despite a "low" number, the fact is that any number takes away from our rollover and likely our home grown talent.

I think Gute made it pretty clear.  We are drafting safeties.  A young one will start next to McKinney.  Personally, I expect it to be Bullard.

11 hours ago, spilltray said:

All Pro is meaningless. McKinney is clearly the better S last year and probably the year before and he didn't get it. If the Broncos didn't feel he was losing a step he probably wouldn't have been released.

this dude really typed out "all pro is meaningless" 

go take a walk buddy

39 minutes ago, persiandud said:

this dude really typed out "all pro is meaningless" 

go take a walk buddy

Yes. The list is long of aging players who get all pro for past performance more than current.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spilltray said:

Yes. The list is long of aging players who get all pro for past performance more than current.

Nah. Pro Bowl, sure, and I'm not denying that occasionally someone might slip through on AllPro but it's FAR more selective 

• Like 2

With Deguara officially gone, that leaves Rudy Ford and Patrick Taylor as the only Packer FAs left to sign. 

I'm guessing Taylor won't be coming back. 

Ford might still be an option if he's available post-draft.