Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am not claiming Simmons is a comp to Woodson beyond that your age argument is way overblown.  Simmons has been 2nd team all-pro for three straight seasons.  I'll take my chances on him remaining effective for a couple more years.  If GB signed Simmons, it would likely be a 3-year deal, with an easy out after year two.

I wouldn't. To me last year looked like he's clearly lost a step. Once that is noticable, players tend to fall off fast. 

The age argument isn't overblown, being that your counter is Woodson who was such a generational athlete he won the Heisman as a CB. It's like saying you can just draft a QB in the 7th round because Tom Brady. It's a useless anecdotal example. Statistically 30 being a wall where players who depend on speed and explosion fall off extremely fast is the norm.

It all depends on the deal but I want no part in even a 3 year deal because the risk isn't worth the dead cap hit when the team should be in a championship window. 1-2 years, cheap with incentives is the only way I even consider it. Otherwise draft and develop.

Also, all pro is a fairly useless metric, only slightly better than pro bowls. Xavier McKinney was clearly the better S, maybe the last two years and has 0 of either. He's been good enough that people know him and think of him as good, but no one really watches all 22 much to see the S.

Edited by spilltray
Add

30 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Gutey's comments this week made me think he wants to go very young at that other safety position. But you nver know.

Gute will be blowing LOTS of smoke before the draft. Don't believe anything.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

His 3 consecutive all-pro seasons would seem to indicate otherwise.

Simmons is one year older than Woodson was when Woodson arrived in GB.

Perhaps.  I admit I do wonder to what extend all-pro reflects present and future capacity, versus being a reflection of past reputation?  Guys earn their reputations, but are media voters sometimes a bit behind?  I'm not saying he's washed.  But I'd rather trust Gute's guys and their film study now, over media guys filling out long all-pro ballots last season?   

I'd love to add a good player.  A woodson-lite would be awesome.  Neither Gute nor any other team has signed Simmons yet: maybe reflects that no team sees him as good value-per-price to date?  Perhaps agent thought all-pro should get paid at all-pro price?  But, sooner or later will adjust his price to the market?  Perhaps at that point Gute will meet it?    

But yeah, Gute presser sure sounded like he hoped to go young, if draft fell right.  Maybe Simmons does want to wait till after draft, but that's up to him and his agent. 

52 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I wouldn't. To me last year looked like he's clearly lost a step. Once that is noticable, players tend to fall off fast. 

2nd team all-pro.  You are seeing what you want to see.

21 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Crank that **** up at the office and your bosses will be like

e07abd2b-78fe-4604-9570-3ad812c1c4a6_tex

56483ef2-79db-44e2-a6ee-0007f75eaf9d_tex

ebaae102-cabf-4682-b1f5-605b02452a0f_tex

Oh, believe me, if it wasn't blocked, I would.  I am allowed access to most of the internet at work, and they don't really care what I do as long as I get my work done.   But I do have oddly regulated youtube content.  It is probably just an age restriction thing and since we technically aren't supposed to be playing around on the internet, the company just blocks anything flagged as over 18 content.

I still blast my limited access music in the afternoons.  I can get a lot of techno and funk, the algorithm seems to like those genres.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Just to expand on this a little bit with someone very relevant.

Amos was really a good to maybe even great safety.  Until his last year with us.

Now?  Vet minimum type of guy who was an emergency signing for the J-E-T-S last year.

Yeah, the wheels can come off pretty quick with some of those guys.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Gute will be blowing LOTS of smoke before the draft. Don't believe anything.

Gute certainly doesn't show make a habit of giving out unnecessary information, but he doesn't play his hand quite as close to his vest as old TT did. He will give you worthwhile nuggets here and there.

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Who is reaping the rewards for Daniel Carlson, Younghoe Koo, Cameron Dicker, Jake Elliott? The team that had them originally or the teams that were patient with them and developed them? 

And who is reaping the rewards of: 
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RohrJu00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SlomSa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YorkCa00.htm

Nobody, because they washed out of the league.  Place Kicking itself is entirely in the hands of the player.  It's the job of the team to provide a reliable snap/hold setup and operation and that's what practice is for.  Everything else is individual and can be accomplished by the player working on his craft away from the team.

21 hours ago, R T said:

Virtually every kicker that ever kicked in the NFL improved off of his first season. As for getting worse as the season wore on that is logical, he was coming off injuries and didn't have a full off season to build up. It's understandable if he hit a wall.   

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McPhEv00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SeibAu00.htm

That's 2 examples just in the past 5 draft classes.  And then there are the examples above of players in the past 5 years who simply washed out of the league.

Here are the examples of players who did improve in the past 5 years:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GayxMa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BassTy00.htm

Some players have their best seasons as rookies, just like any other position.  The injury and building up is just pure speculation.  Packers wouldn't have drafted an injured player who they didn't think could make it through a season and they wouldn't have played an injured player or a player who couldn't perform.  He was never on the injury report.

17 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm saying the notion that kickers don't improve from their rookie year is ridiculous.

I'm saying that some improve and some don't.  Any other opinion is ridiculous.

Who knows if Carlson will improve.  Hopefully he does, but there were serious concerns in training camp and the team decided to roll the dice with him.  Hopefully they don't do the same thing this season.  Make your kicks in practice or go learn to kick away from the team.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Gute certainly doesn't show make a habit of giving out unnecessary information, but he doesn't play his hand quite as close to his vest as old TT did. He will give you worthwhile nuggets here and there.

I agree with you. Listening to him talk about both McKinney's age and prioritizing youth at the other safety position, I think they'll look for someone who can work as McKinney's running mate for the next 3+ years, AKA a rookie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Just to expand on this a little bit with someone very relevant.

Amos was really a good to maybe even great safety.  Until his last year with us.

Now?  Vet minimum type of guy who was an emergency signing for the J-E-T-S last year.

Yeah, the wheels can come off pretty quick with some of those guys.

So we signed him to a 4 year, 36 million dollar contract, and he was worth it for 3 of those seasons.  Structure a new deal for a guy like Simmons so he gets most of his money when he plays and is easy to move on from.  4 years with most of the money in years 1 and 2.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

2nd team all-pro.  You are seeing what you want to see.

All Pro is meaningless. McKinney is clearly the better S last year and probably the year before and he didn't get it. If the Broncos didn't feel he was losing a step he probably wouldn't have been released.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:54 AM, Packer_ESP said:

Your link says twitter but it links to x.com. If you hover over it you'll see it's a x.com link. You have to take the original link, paste it as text, replace x with twitter, then hit intro so that the forums automatically convert it to embedded

But does this work on mobile?

26 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I agree with you. Listening to him talk about both McKinney's age and prioritizing youth at the other safety position, I think they'll look for someone who can work as McKinney's running mate for the next 3+ years, AKA a rookie.

It's going to be Bullard, isn't it.  #Georgia

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So we signed him to a 4 year, 36 million dollar contract, and he was worth it for 3 of those seasons.  Structure a new deal for a guy like Simmons so he gets most of his money when he plays and is easy to move on from.  4 years with most of the money in years 1 and 2.

Done.  Except for age.  Amos was 24-25 when we signed him.  Amos is 30 now.  So we had him for his prime, minus one year.

Simmons is already 30.  If it were me, he's a one year contract guy.  Full of incentives.