Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, craig said:

I just listened to the Gute presser once through, so may not remember everthing.  But some comments that stuck out to me:

For second safety, he said he'd prefer a young one to a vet.  And while signing some $8 vet isn't impossible, ramifications....  

$8 veteran Safeties....and we talk about the RB position going low rent :)

7 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I'm so torn on that statement, as it makes it sound like Bakh's contract was this highly risky bet that was dumb to make.

Bakh was highly reliable until the injury, having missed 6 games from 2013-2020 (and I'm not even sure that some of those missed games we're us resting starters for the playoffs). 

His contract did end as a debacle, but man if it wasn't an all time bad luck situation. Literally a 1% probability worst case scenario coming true.

I'd do the same market rate  contract for Kenny in a heartbeat.

Believe me that it I’m with you on Bakh. Just incredibly unpredictable bad fortune. I have a friend who was against it but that’s because he was also anti AR and in general a cynic. We still argue about him being a hindsight genius. As long as we were keeping 12 we were keeping 69 and 12 was MVP level great. Basically every GM in that situation signs that deal.

I’m not saying it has anything to do with how we proceed with KC but 3rd contact rules  are only broken for very good, very premium positions. Getting burned on that last one shouldn’t affect future decisions but we’re all only human. 

• Like 2

Do ya think we have a price for Simmons at S?  Gives us more flexibility with our first five picks if we sign him (otherwise I can guarantee we “rightly” pick a safety day two.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Htr said:

Do ya think we have a price for Simmons at S?  Gives us more flexibility with our first five picks if we sign him (otherwise I can guarantee we “rightly” pick a safety day two.

I think there's enough guys still on the market to be comfortable waiting to see how the draft falls before snagging another guy.

Also should be able to protect 2nd safety a bit with the scheme.

9 hours ago, Htr said:

At this point, I would guess Simmons only becomes a possibility if he is still available post-draft. Just my 2 cents, but Gutekunst sounded like a guy who's "on to the draft" right now in terms of any further moves. He mentioned a couple times the prospect of looking at FAs after the draft - likely to add to any rooms they feel were not adequately addressed via their draft picks. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

When I hear and read Gute's statements about veteran safeties, I take it to mean that he is "out" in terms of looking for a starter with a normal starter's price tag.  He may grab one after the draft to fill out the position and who has specials value, but a guy like Simmons would have to dang near call him with a very low contract demand to join the club.

Otherwise, we are using a pick to grab a safety that we like.  And either that kid starts, or the AJJ era starts.

He really isn't sweating it at all, I don't feel like it is a bluff.  

I don't feel like Gute is going to burn cap, even on a one year deal.  He likes this position and he knows he needs to give Love a very large contract.  And...he's still primarily a draft and develop GM.  He would rather roll that money over for when he is really going to need it (Love).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Joseph vs. Anders will indeed be a tight race lol

Hope they bring in another leg

At least Joseph can make XPs. 

Hopefully Carlson improves but this is a good sign that the Packers at least are going hold him accountable if he hasnt.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

At least Joseph can make XPs. 

Hopefully Carlson improves but this is a good sign that the Packers at least are going hold him accountable if he hasnt.

We need a guy that doesnt leave points on the field.