Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I'll add one more comment from a defensive strategy POV.
Some DC's prefer to have their # 2 CB + Safety help on Davante Adams, and put their # 1 CB on Lazard or whoever else is manning the # 2 WR spot. So its not always the case that Lazard "got less attention", its possible he faced a few # 1s. There's also the issue of pre-snap motion or WRs switching sides.  Sometimes the CB follows, other teams keep their CBs as left & right regardless of motion. So he'd see a wide variety of zone, man, # 1, # 2 and #3 CBs over the course of a season

Each opponent and play is a little different, but we've seen a variety od defensive strategies deployed

Edited by Shanedorf

3 hours ago, craig said:

Do you think he ever got double covered?  Or got defensive priority, to make sure that if getting single-covered, that one of the two best corners were consciously prioritized to make sure that Lazard got a 1 or 2 corner on him?  I'm not saying he didn't; just suspecting that teams didn't fear him a lot, and maybe didn't prioritize putting one of their best corners on him.    

Does it matter? Sure, with Adams on the field he wasn't seeing the best other teams had. But even if all he can be is a good #2, that's what GB needs right now anyway. 

The attitude/confidence has to be a + as well guy really wants it and he believes he deserves it.

We may not have the speediest group but I think we have a chance to be a bully. With Tae nigh uncoverable in the short game the sticks should keep moving along. Its just down to hitting the shots.

Lordt knows its near impossible to play bully ball on defense without paying a premium and it seems to be the better value buy on offense. Maybe we get lucky and hit on the formula.

I don't think we've really got a shot in hell against the KC's of the league honestly but we should definitely stay in contention/playoff picture until Rodgers is done in GB.

There’s gonna be a big second year boost to LaFleur’s system.  We will have the best offense we’ve had since 2014.  Rodgers will have his best year since 2014.  Of all that I have no doubt.

The only question and the only thing that will keep us from winning the Super Bowl this year, outside of health (knock on wood) is the defense.  If it takes a step back, we’re one and done.  If it remains the same, we’re another Championship game loser.  All eyes need to be on Pettine.  He has more talent than any Packer defense since 2010.  Our number 3 corner is better than our number one corner (Gunter) was in 2016.

Our #2 pass rusher (Preston Smith) is better than our #1 pass rusher was in 2016.

Our #3 safety (Greene?) is better than our #1 safety in 2016.

At every single level of our defense, we’re more talented than our 2016 defense.  Every.  Single.  Level.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There’s gonna be a big second year boost to LaFleur’s system.  We will have the best offense we’ve had since 2014.  Rodgers will have his best year since 2014.  Of all that I have no doubt.

The only question and the only thing that will keep us from winning the Super Bowl this year, outside of health (knock on wood) is the defense.  If it takes a step back, we’re one and done.  If it remains the same, we’re another Championship game loser.  All eyes need to be on Pettine.  He has more talent than any Packer defense since 2010.  Our number 3 corner is better than our number one corner (Gunter) was in 2016.

Our #2 pass rusher (Preston Smith) is better than our #1 pass rusher was in 2016.

Our #3 safety (Greene?) is better than our #1 safety in 2016.

At every single level of our defense, we’re more talented than our 2016 defense.  Every.  Single.  Level.  

I was a big Pettine supporter when he was hired, but last year was a disappointment, and the NFCCG was a disaster. Pettine has always put an emphasis on pass defense, but he needs to adjust to the fact that the running game has had a resurgence in the NFL. You simply can't have a situation where your run defense is so poor that the opponent barely needs to pass. A defense with as good a pass rush as the Packers shouldn't need to play dime as much as they do. Perhaps having a veteran DB coach (Jerry Gray) who has also been a DC will have a positive effect on Pettine. 

Agree the offense is set for a resurgence.  I'm not sure that Rodgers can rebound to the extent you suggest though. I think he's lost both accuracy and mobility due to knee and collarbone injuries in recent years. He can probably improve on last year, but the days of him being a top 3 QB in the NFL are probably over. 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:39 AM, HighCalebR said:

How many fans does it take to cover stadium operating expenses? At least the line to the pisser will be short.

Anybody here older than me? As a childhood memory I seem to recall the pisser was a metal trough running the length of the men’s restroom back in the 60s. I might be confusing that with the Outagamie County Fair or something. Very efficient system. There is always room for one more fella.

I don’t think the longterm $ problem for the Packers is stadium seating for this season. That’s County Highway P. The television revenue stream is the I-43 issue. For that reason the major sports teams need to tread carefully in the culture wars; the cultural interest in pro sports is as fragile as the value of Beanie Babies. If the fans come for sports and get politics instead, it is easy enough for them to find new diversions that allow them the escape they desire. I found an article that talks about Lombardi, who appreciated patriotism, hated social disorder, and yet fought personally against prejudice and disrespect. Waving flags at Lambeau changed nothing. Disrespecting the flag at Lambeau changes nothing. Lombardi fostering an environment of inclusion and rejecting prejudice changed a great deal and hurried along social progress in the NFL.

https://slate.com/culture/2017/09/vince-lombardi-hated-protests-but-he-fought-for-racial-justice.html

He might have even hurried along the transition to urinals for the men watching games at Lambeau, rather than les pissoir pour tous les hommes, but we’ll never know .

On 7/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, Outpost31 said:

The only question and the only thing that will keep us from winning the Super Bowl this year, outside of health (knock on wood) is the defense. ....

Hope you're right, Outpost.  There are a lot of reasons to think it could and should take a step forward. 

I admit several hesitancies. 

1. I admit I'm not super confident that Rodgers will have his best year in ages.  I'm somewhat nervous that his accuracy just isn't going to come back.  And that some of his decision-making (should I throw it or hold it?) will continue to be variably inconsistent.
  2. I'm also somewhat nervous that perhaps MLF's system just isn't really that creative?  Last year the notion was that the offense should improve as the 2nd half proceeded and the team got more used to the system.  Not sure that really happened; I think to some degree opposing defenses just got more film on us and defended us better.  Maybe we won't get much better with it?  
  3. Injury was insignificant on offense last year; unlikely to happen again.  

Sure hoping like crazy that the offense does step up a level, and that we get steps up for a whole bunch of guys.  Rodgers, MVS, EQ, Jace, Tonyan, Turner.  Dillon can play, maybe Degaura too.  And that some of the TE/H-back usage ends up being significantly more productive.  Fun to hope, and it's certainly not illogical to consider that it's possible.  

Ian Rapoport -  This is interesting: As long-time #Vikings DE and current free agent Everson Griffen narrows down his choices, the rival Packers are among the teams to express interest. That interest is mutual. Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer had recently said he wants Griffen back, as well.

• Matt Schneidman -  Alrighty then. You put him on the interior alongside Kenny?
  • Ross Uglem -   Clark inside with Smith and Griffen outside and Z roving in pass rush situations would be my guess. Maybe some 3T Gary.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -  This is interesting: As long-time #Vikings DE and current free agent Everson Griffen narrows down his choices, the rival Packers are among the teams to express interest. That interest is mutual. Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer had recently said he wants Griffen back, as well.

• Matt Schneidman -  Alrighty then. You put him on the interior alongside Kenny?
  • Ross Uglem -   Clark inside with Smith and Griffen outside and Z roving in pass rush situations would be my guess. Maybe some 3T Gary.

This could be a ploy by Griffen’s agent to scare the Vikings into resigning him, but it certainly is an interesting development/distraction from these COVID-filled days.

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

This could be a ploy by Griffen’s agent to scare the Vikings into resigning him, but it certainly is an interesting development/distraction from these COVID-filled days.

Yea I'll believe it when I see it, but always liked Griffen. Even though Bahk owned him every time they met, he still put up numbers versus the rest of the league and is the type of vet you'd like to add to a team trying to compete for the SB. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

37 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea I'll believe it when I see it, but always liked Griffen. Even though Bahk owned him every time they met, he still put up numbers versus the rest of the league and is the type of vet you'd like to add to a team trying to compete for the SB. 

Big Griffen fan here.

You can never have enough pass rushers.