Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 12/23/2020 at 1:42 PM, dwaye50327 said:

Out of curiosity, how is beating TB 38-3 and 34-23 less impressive than GB beating the Saints 37-30 without one of their best players in Michael Thomas.

I think the point is pretty clear honestly, GB when given their chance against teams with a winning record lose more than they win. Honestly GB's win over the Saints is blown out of proportion IMO. They just lost Michael Thomas and were struggling to figure out how to play offense with out him.  I mean the Raiders beat the same Saints team 1 week prior.

You put the Saints up against GB right now, I think the Saints take it no matter where its played simply because GB's defense isn't going to stop Kamara or Murray.

Weren’t there Packers without Adams? Yep. Him and Thomas being out was a wash

Where did I get into that argument with that one guy about Travis Fulgham? 

Guy acted like Fulgham had just broken out and was an elite talent and Gute couldn't even tell he had an elite talent on the roster and cut him.

I lol'd and said he'd have 10 yards for us on two catches and the dude freaked out. 

Since that argument, Fulgham has 62 receiving yards on 6 receptions over 5 games. 

I think I even brought up Charles Johnson, whom everyone was freaking out over when he had 31 catches for 400 some yards in Minnesota.

@packfanfb, remember when you were freaking out about the Niners getting Kinlaw and Aiyuk and every free agent WR in the history of receivers and the Packers didn't add anybody in the draft and I was trying to tell you it's not about how many players you add, but about how the team responds to a playoff loss?

Kinlaw isn't good.

Injuries happen.

Super Bowl loss hangover is a very real thing.

Packers 2020 draft input:

Love - 0/0/0/0/0/0/0
Dillon - 24/115
Josiah Deguara - 1/12
Kamal Martin - largest production of any Packer rookie 175th overall.
Runyan - Future Packers IOL starter who will wildly outperform his draft status
Jake Hanson - "      "
Simon Stepaniak - I honestly don't think I have ever even seen his name before today and I think he might not actually exist.
Etc.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

@packfanfb, remember when you were freaking out about the Niners getting Kinlaw and Aiyuk and every free agent WR in the history of receivers and the Packers didn't add anybody in the draft and I was trying to tell you it's not about how many players you add, but about how the team responds to a playoff loss?

Kinlaw isn't good.

Injuries happen.

Love - 0/0/0/0/0/0/0
Dillon - 24/115
Josiah Deguara - 1/12
Jake Hanson - "      "
Simon Stepaniak - I honestly don't think I have ever even seen his name before today and I think he might not actually exist.
Etc.

Vernon Scott - Future HOF Safety.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Where did I get into that argument with that one guy about Travis Fulgham? 

Guy acted like Fulgham had just broken out and was an elite talent and Gute couldn't even tell he had an elite talent on the roster and cut him.

I lol'd and said he'd have 10 yards for us on two catches and the dude freaked out. 

Since that argument, Fulgham has 62 receiving yards on 6 receptions over 5 games. 

I think I even brought up Charles Johnson, whom everyone was freaking out over when he had 31 catches for 400 some yards in Minnesota.

I still wonder about Charles Johnson.  If circumstances were just a little different, could he have had a better career, with the Packers? I believe that he tweaked his ankle in the preseason and wasn't really available so we cut him.  His rookie season was the 8-7-1 Tolzein, Flynn, Wallace season.  A lot of funky stuff happened with the roster.  None of the back-up QBs from camp made the team.  Myles White, Jarrett Boykin, and Jeremy Ross made the team at WR.  Randall Cobb only played 6 games, and we added James Jones after he was released by the Giants.  Boykin ends up starting 8 games and has 681 yards.  Could Johnson have done that? The next season we got Davante, but we also drafted Abby and Janis.  Perhaps having Johnson changes the end of that draft?

[edit] We can even take this into a 3 year contract situation.  In 2014 we had smaller roles for Boykin, Janis and Kevin Dorsey that Johnson could have taken.  It was only 16 total targets.  This was the season where both Jordy and Cobb just exploded, about 2800 receiving yards between the two of them.  2015 was the season where Jordy got hurt in the preseason.  Adams missed 3 games.  Janis and Abby got about 30 targets.  Ty Montgomery got 3 starts and 20 targets.  Would a third year Johnson make more with that opportunity?

Not saying he would be a superstar, but I think Jerry Rice is still celebrating that the real GOAT didn't get his chance.

Edited by ThatJerkDave

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Kinlaw isn't good.

Injuries happen.

Love - 0/0/0/0/0/0/0
Dillon - 24/115
Josiah Deguara - 1/12
Jake Hanson - "      "
Etc.

I was never big on Kinlaw, thought it was stupid for the Niners to trade Buckner if they were going all in. I wanted Jefferson but would have happy with Aiyuk and he's been a straight stud the last 9-10 weeks, No question the Packers would be even better if we had him.

As to the Niners, they didn't just have injury trouble, they basically lost their entire team to injury. If they didn't they'd likely be fighting us for the bye right now and very likely would have beaten us at SF. I don't think SB hangover has anything to do with their current record.

But you are right that we have gotten virtually nothing from Gutey's 2020 draft. Maybe Dillon gives us something down the stretch here. I do like the Martin and Runyan picks. 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Kinlaw isn't good.

Injuries happen.

Love - 0/0/0/0/0/0/0
Dillon - 24/115
Josiah Deguara - 1/12
Jake Hanson - "      "
Etc.

I’m not freaking out about not drafting a WR, but we really should be refreshing the talent there. No guarantee Adams is back and it’s never bad to be developing guys who can play and are not at top of the market contracts. 

I agree with the philosophy that if you have a top notch QB, a bunch of B+ receivers should be very productive. Same for a quality Oline and RBs who have even shorter shelf life compared to receivers. 

I truly don’t know if the 9ers would have had a SB hangover, their IR this year is the worst in the league even with teams like Dal and Phi being decimated. They will be dangerous for a while, talent on both lines and have been adding weapons to a scheme that is great at churning yards once the ball is delivered. 

*Stapaniak casts a Sittonesque shadow. He might be a road grading beast in the run game, just have to see if his feet and reactions are up to pass blocking but he has starter potential at G. 

Edited by Refugee

Andy Herman -   If you want to be a draft & develop team you have to supplement the team using free agency & other avenues, such as:

Allen Lazard
Tavon Austin
Billy Turner
Rick Wagner
Marcedes Lewis
Preston Smith
Christian Kirksey
Za'Darius Smith
Chandon Sullivan
Adrian Amos
Tyler Ervin

This was Ted's issue. He became so focused on draft and develop and lost focus that the team had needs he wasn't addressing or couldn't address in the draft. Gute is the right balance between Ted/Wolf. Use the draft for development, and all other avenues for needs.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That'll play.

It should read like this...Qb's when targeting #Packers S Darnell Savage since Pettine stopped putting him 25 yards deep at the snap of the ball, per @Pff: 3/16 for 57 yards, 0TD's.  4 INT's, two other INT's dropped, 6 other PBU's.

But yah, he's been stellar.  Real difference maker.  And like Gary, probably still scratching his potential.

• Like 1