What QBs are most likely to replace the retiring QB greats?

patriotsheatyan

Carr has potential, don't be silly and write him off after a bad year.  But it's far from a given.

Luck if he can stay healthy, and the Colts can build a decent team

Wilson is already elite for stretches

Wentz was elite this year

Goff has tons of potential and in a great situation

Cam capable of being elite for stretches

Matt Ryan capable of being elite for stretches

Matt Stafford capable of being elite for stretches

Deshaun Watson has potential if he can stay healthy

Really there are a lot of QBs that could potentially become consistently elite at some point. Chances are good that at least 1-2 of them will.

Not sure what you guys have seen but based on what that we have seen(albeit very little in most cases), I would say Carr, Dak, Goff, Wentz, Watson, JG, Trubisky and Mahomes have a good chance of replacing the current ones heading into the future. Then you have others such as Luck, Wilson and Cam that are still young and don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Also forgot about Jimmy G. He's a stud in the making.

As far as Bridgewater, I initially put his name down, but the OP is looking for HOF guys. I don't think Bridgewater has the skill set to be a HOF type QB. He could become a very good QB and I expect him to (was a major Bridgewater fan in 2014), but he seems a little too "game manager-ey" to really be talked about as a replacement of Brady/Brees/Roethlisberger.

We just got really spoiled with the QB's that are in their late 30's right now. That group was incredibly special. The problem, IMO, is the way college teams operate. All of these programs do terrible jobs developing their QB's for the pro's. Not blaming them because who cares about putting your QB's in the pros when you can win National Championships running spread offenses, but it's a major factor when they hit the league. There are so many teams that operate under a spacing concept offense. They eat up zones and create easy throws. In the NFL, every team has 3-5 guys that can play press man and make you beat them with tight window throws. These underneath pop shots aren't open and QB's haven't developed the skill to thread the needle to the WR's. Plus with the spread, college coordinators dumb down their schemes and run a lot of vanilla looks where they don't disguise. Almost every NFL coverage is disguised. College QB's are easily able to make pre-snap reads and determine where they're going with the football based on the concept vs. the pre-snap look. In the NFL, you aren't getting that opportunity. First of all, you aren't able to tell what coverage teams are in. Second of all, route concepts don't mean a damn thing if you're facing heavy man coverage. Your WR has to win against his man. Sitting in a zone is easy and it dominates CFB. Seperating from a DB that runs a 4.3 that knows how to smash your chest in with a jam is a completely different thing.

The NFL is so different that college football and these QB's have such a large learning curve. And this goes into high school as well. When I played HS football 12 years ago, everyone was under center running the I-Formation. Nowadays there's like 10 teams per state that run Pro-I. It's crazy how dead the pro style has become. I've seen some grade school teams that operate under a full hurry-up spread offense. It's crazy the way the game has changed at the lower levels, yet, remained the same at the NFL level. Sure there is more passing in the NFL nowadays, but you're still seeing the same formations and the same route concepts to beat the same defenses.

Pointless rant over.

But yeah, I suspect this QB drought to remain a thing. There will be a lot of good QB's, but I don't know if there will be any guys that can replace the three "B" HOF guys on their way out (Brady,Brees,Ben)

7 hours ago, Danger said:
  30 minutes ago, Plat2 said:

Wentz, Watson, Goff, Garoppolo

Yea probably the most likely to reach the top.

all were good in their sample size so this year.

Wentz built off an ok year with an MVP season 

Watson looked really good before the injury.

Goff, while not as physically talented on his own compared to the first two. Bounced back from a year with Jeff and led won of the leagues best attacks.

jimmy g looked good in his short time actually on the field. As with all of them, interested to see how he builds.

far too small of a sample size 

Jameis Winston can already eat wins...clear choice.  :D

Seriously, he'll bounce back.  With TEN losing Mularkey and Robiskie, there's actual hope for Mariota now - Winston likely has to wait a year before Koetter (who has morphed in Mr. Conservative from his ATL OC days to a major fault, predictability is never good).  

It's CW to pick the guys who came off great years - the post-hype market is often one ppl overlook.   Tampa has healthy cap room, an early pick to get a T (which is a major need and forget about FA), and then go RB in Rd 2 or 3, with a pass rusher in FA.    With Mike Evans & OJ Howard & Chris Godwin, a better OL and a RB upgrade would do wonders there.   For Mariota, replacing the OC/HC is good enough (although losing Conklin for likely 4-6 games does hurt, crusher, but Corey Davis progressing and going to Derrick Henry full-time really adds to the addition by subtraction of those coaches). 

Garoppolo, Wentz, Watson, Goff are almost sure bets. 

Carr and Mariota need to rebound from bad seasons but I think they can, particularly if McDaniels goes to Tennessee.

Rosen and Lamar Jackson are the two guys from the next draft class with the best shot IMO.

Archived