NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The guy's got a point....

ESPN -  "How can a sport that requires physical contact on every snap and transferal of all types of bodily fluid EVERY SINGLE PLAY practice safe social distancing? How can I make sure that I don't bring COVID-19 back to my household? Yes, we can get tested every day, but if it takes 24 hours to get my results, how can I know each day that I am not spreading this virus or contracting it?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers starting left tackle Donovan Smith, the man responsible for protecting Super Bowl-winning quarterback Tom Brady's blind side, said Friday morning that "risking my health, as well as my family's health, does not seem like a risk worth taking" by playing during the coronavirus pandemic.

Understand his concern.  There are some players with the same thought process that may never play again. 

2020 just sucks all the way around.  Really enjoy football on Sundays.  Corona virus is trending in the wrong direction.  Have serious doubts if we will have a season this year at all.  Virus isn't going away and until or if they develop a vaccine professional sports will be off the table.  We'll be watching repeats in the fall.  Given the odd Packers draft I wonder if they didn't plan for this and take players accordingly.  Not trying to be a downer just a realist given the current situation as it stands today. 

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

2020 just sucks all the way around.  Really enjoy football on Sundays.  Corona virus is trending in the wrong direction.  Have serious doubts if we will have a season this year at all.  Virus isn't going away and until or if they develop a vaccine professional sports will be off the table.  We'll be watching repeats in the fall.  Given the odd Packers draft I wonder if they didn't plan for this and take players accordingly.  Not trying to be a downer just a realist given the current situation as it stands today. 

certainly a "lost" first year makes the Round 1 QB pick look a LOT better than a different position where that lost year would be amplified.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

ESPN -  "How can a sport that requires physical contact on every snap and transferal of all types of bodily fluid EVERY SINGLE PLAY practice safe social distancing? How can I make sure that I don't bring COVID-19 back to my household? Yes, we can get tested every day, but if it takes 24 hours to get my results, how can I know each day that I am not spreading this virus or contracting it?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers starting left tackle Donovan Smith, the man responsible for protecting Super Bowl-winning quarterback Tom Brady's blind side, said Friday morning that "risking my health, as well as my family's health, does not seem like a risk worth taking" by playing during the coronavirus pandemic.

They are going to be testing almost daily, right? Logistically I doubt they test on gameday, but would expect testing the night before. All players in the facility on game day will have tested negative, so there shouldn't be risk of transmission.

In basic theory it works... but what happens when someone tests positive saturday? Every single player is then a risk to test positive at any time.

I don't understand how there will be a season unless they do what the NBA is doing, and that won't happen in football.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

They are going to be testing almost daily, right? Logistically I doubt they test on gameday, but would expect testing the night before. All players in the facility on game day will have tested negative, so there shouldn't be risk of transmission. In basic theory it works... but what happens when someone tests positive saturday? Every single player is then a risk to test positive at any time. I don't understand how there will be a season unless they do what the NBA is doing, and that won't happen in football.

I tend to agree but just playing it by ear. If it happens - it happens - but its a large endeavor. In another sense - a NBA team/staff etc is a taxicab in relation to the busload that an NFL roster/staff etc is - then throw on TV and the stadiums - plus the number of NBA teams have been paired down . Football - its all 32 teams, players etc.

Lots of variables. Lots of them....and one germ.

Fingers will be crossed, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Edited by Leader

11 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

All players in the facility on game day will have tested negative, so there shouldn't be risk of transmission.

In basic theory it works... but what happens when someone tests positive saturday? Every single player is then a risk to test positive at any time.

Its such a tough spot for everybody - and part of that is because these tests aren't 100 % accurate  (none are)
So what happens when you get a false positive ? You might shut down your star player only to have him test negative 5 days in row. That's not good
What happens with a false negative ? Then you've exposed both teams unwittingly. That's not good either

There's really only one answer here, but its the answer nobody wants

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

I tend to agree but just playing it by ear. If it happens - it happens - but its a large endeavor. In another sense - a NBA team/staff etc is a taxicab in relation to the busload that an NFL roster/staff etc is - then throw on TV and the stadiums - plus the number of NBA teams have been paired down . Football - its all 32 teams, players etc.

Lots of variables. Lots of them....and one germ.

Fingers will be crossed, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Coronagerm

21 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

If the season does get cancelled entirely I vote we find old games from the 2010 season on youtube, sync up the start time and still have GDTs at an agreed upon time

I think I will still get really, really mad at the Redskins and Dolphins games.  Probably the Falcons game too.  Also, I would probably skip the Detroit game when Rodgers gets a concussion and the entire game is boring as hell.

7 hours ago, Leader said:

NFL players are akin to Gladiators. They are simply pieces of meat that trade their bodies for financial gain. Whether it is a career ending hit or a virus they should nobly suit and play the damn game. I demand to be entertained!!!

3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

They are going to be testing almost daily, right? Logistically I doubt they test on gameday, but would expect testing the night before. All players in the facility on game day will have tested negative, so there shouldn't be risk of transmission.

I don't understand how there will be a season unless they do what the NBA is doing, and that won't happen in football.

Depends, how long does it take those test to come back and how accurate are they? Both for false positive and false negative?

If those test results take 3 days to come back then you basically got ****, with how fast it can spread and how close players will be getting.

And as you said, one positive test then everyone around him needs a test the next couple of days to prove they don't have it.

NFL . COM - As the NFL's response to the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, the NFLPA has issued to the league an economic counterproposal.

The NFLPA detailed the following specifics within the counterproposal: no escrow of 2020 salaries, a flat salary cap of $198.2 million for 2021, the spread of revenue losses from this year over the 2022-2030 salary caps and payment of all fully guaranteed money even if games are canceled due to the pandemic.

Tom Pelissero reported Friday that members of the NFL Management Council Executive Committee and NFLPA Executive Committee are scheduled to have a conference call Monday to continue working through outstanding issues, such as testing protocols and compensation, before players report for training camp later this month.

On Tuesday, the NFL proposed 35% of player salaries in escrow, a proposition not well received by several players, including Saints star wideout Michael Thomas. Pelissero reiterated as much Saturday, stating that the NFLPA doesn't want one year of players to take the whole hit.

Another component of the counterproposal focuses on paying players a "COVID-19 risk stipend" of up to $500,000 if games are canceled, Pelissero reported per informed sources. The exact figure would depend on when cancellation occurs, among other factors, he added.

9 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Understand his concern.  There are some players with the same thought process that may never play again. 

Not without a vaccine/effective treatment. 

So even IF the games occur, there will be a significant % (20? 35? 50?) who won't risk their well-being any more than they already do in a regular game to play in a COVID season. 

5 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Not without a vaccine/effective treatment. 

So even IF the games occur, there will be a significant % (20? 35? 50?) who won't risk their well-being any more than they already do in a regular game to play in a COVID season. 

If a vaccine is even "found"   .. nothing says there will be an effective one.   Some may not want to risk it - their decision. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:41 AM, dwaye50327 said:

IMO Cam and NE will have flashes of McDaniels/Tebow in Denver. NE really doesn't have a consistent threat at WR but they have a solid o-line. I think they will take advantage of Cam's athletic ability to the fullest.

Cam has a lot of studying to do.

https://sports.theonion.com/cam-newton-scrambling-to-get-up-to-speed-after-patriots-1844324700

OXBOROUGH, MA—Hurriedly trying to organize the dozens of boxes from around the league ahead of his preseason season debut, Cam Newton told reporters Thursday that he was scrambling to get up to speed after the New England Patriots sent him a playbook of every NFL team. “This is thousands of pages, it’s going to take forever to read—and I haven’t even started watching all the security footage of teams practicing yet,” said Newton, expressing relief that he was able to rush through all the offenses from Sean McVay’s coaching tree, only to get bogged down by the 49ers tricky defensive scheme.