NFL News & Notes

Leader

Well that answers the question I've been wondering about for about a month now. It wasn't whether Hackett would be fired, it was whether or not he'd even last the entire season.

Broncos still got far bigger problems with the whole Wilson situation and that horrendous contract they're stuck with.

9 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Well that answers the question I've been wondering about for about a month now. It wasn't whether Hackett would be fired, it was whether or not he'd even last the entire season.

Broncos still got far bigger problems with the whole Wilson situation and that horrendous contract they're stuck with.

Do you know if we can bring him back right away?  Get him on the staff and let Stenny focus more on OL?

I guess I feel like we could.  Not sure if we will, but I feel like we at least could.

I don't know enough about him as a coach/person to know if his ego would allow that, or if he would simply like to interview for other HC jobs that may open up.  Also...given that dumpster fire, I doubt he will get another opportunity for a while.

10 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Denver was in a bad spot with a HC that was well below average and a QB that is playing well below average.  

From a salary cap situation, Denver can't really cut Wilson and take on the dead cap from such a move, so making the right and easier salary cap move was necessary.  They have to hope that another HC can figure out how to use Wilson to better success

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Do you know if we can bring him back right away?  Get him on the staff and let Stenny focus more on OL?

I guess I feel like we could.  Not sure if we will, but I feel like we at least could.

I don't know enough about him as a coach/person to know if his ego would allow that, or if he would simply like to interview for other HC jobs that may open up.  Also...given that dumpster fire, I doubt he will get another opportunity for a while.

if Hackett wants another shot a HC, he needs to succeed as an OC without an MVP level QB.  Coming back and working in the same offense with Rodgers/MLF probably doesn't help those chances

Just now, squire12 said:

if Hackett wants another shot a HC, he needs to succeed as an OC without an MVP level QB.  Coming back and working in the same offense with Rodgers/MLF probably doesn't help those chances

Not disputing that at all.

What I don't know are the "rules" for hiring coaches.  Specifically at this point in the season.  Like if MLF wanting Hackett back, now that Hackett has been fired, could we hire him for the rest of the season?

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not disputing that at all.

What I don't know are the "rules" for hiring coaches.  Specifically at this point in the season.  Like if MLF wanting Hackett back, now that Hackett has been fired, could we hire him for the rest of the season?

That would be throwing some cold water on Steno right when we’re trying to steer the ship through a narrow passage to the playoffs. I don’t know what next year holds for our coordinators, but bringing back Hack in season could trouble the waters a bit. If everyone’s ego could handle it, I would love to see him back. 

Edited by Refugee

I don't imagine there is any way in the world that Hackett will be taking HC interviews without first having another run as an assistant, and this time actually being "the guy" calling the shots on the offensive side.  I think maybe the "MLF runs the offense" factor could keep Hackett from returning to GB.  I could see him returning to GB for a season or two just to remove the stink of his failure in DEN, then looking for an OC role where he has full control.

To me, Hackett's failure in DEN was more on the DEN front office than on Hackett.  Hackett seemed to be in over his head from the start.

28 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

They should throw a bunch of dough at Sean Payton .. he might be able to salvage Russ. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}