NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Wonder what happened ? Wasn't he a pro bowler last year ? He would be our best linebacker ( maybe Campbell)

He was a Pro Bowler in 2019 and then his performance fell off a cliff. Plus it saves them some money now and protects them from paying him next year in the event he got injured this year.

9 minutes ago, Striker said:

He was a Pro Bowler in 2019 and then his performance fell off a cliff. Plus it saves them some money now and protects them from paying him next year in the event he got injured this year.

I see I see. Is he still better than Ty Summers though?

Guarantee the Buccaneers or Seahawks try to sign him and he will go to one of those two teams.

Those two teams actually try to win Super Bowls.

If the Packers bring Jaylon Smith in, I will… I can’t think of something I would do, but I would do it.

It could be anything really because it won’t happen.

31 minutes ago, Striker said:

But what does ARod12 think about him? If his money is guaranteed, he may be willing to play somewhere on another contender in the NFC for vet minimum from his new team.

35 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

He doesnt specials. So for the role. No.

Correct, the main reason he is no longer a Cowboy is he doesn't play ST's. No team can have a backup LB sitting on the bench and not playing teams. So yes Summers is better than Smith. 

6 minutes ago, R T said:

Correct, the main reason he is no longer a Cowboy is he doesn't play ST's. No team can have a backup LB sitting on the bench and not playing teams. So yes Summers is better than Smith. 

And he was a backup with the Cowboys because he was terrible in coverage.  His game overall has fallen way off, so because of Special Teams, Summers is actually more valuable.

26 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

And he was a backup with the Cowboys because he was terrible in coverage.  His game overall has fallen way off, so because of Special Teams, Summers is actually more valuable.

Just dug in a little more on the Jaylon situation.  Several pundits actually think he’d do well in a 3-4 scheme, and that the reason his game has fallen off is somewhat due to Quinn’s scheme and how he was utilized.  His mobility has diminished, so that’s certainly a concern.

To his credit, he hasn’t missed a game since he was drafted, in spite of the injury he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl.  Seems like a good character guy too.

He’ll go someplace, but it prolly won’t be GB.

19 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Just dug in a little more on the Jaylon situation.  Several pundits actually think he’d do well in a 3-4 scheme, and that the reason his game has fallen off is somewhat due to Quinn’s scheme and how he was utilized.  His mobility has diminished, so that’s certainly a concern.

To his credit, he hasn’t missed a game since he was drafted, in spite of the injury he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl.  Seems like a good character guy too.

He’ll go someplace, but it prolly won’t be GB.

That was my question, does he not fit the new scheme like the old? He has shown some exceptional play in the past.  If not for his injury, he would have been one of the top picks in his draft. Dal took a bit of a gamble on him and it looked like it paid off early but is not getting it done now. He just had wrist surgery this past off season but I don’t know what condition he’s in.

I would love to see him here but I highly doubt it.  He will get another opportunity soon. 

40 minutes ago, Refugee said:

That was my question, does he not fit the new scheme like the old? He has shown some exceptional play in the past.  If not for his injury, he would have been one of the top picks in his draft. Dal took a bit of a gamble on him and it looked like it paid off early but is not getting it done now. He just had wrist surgery this past off season but I don’t know what condition he’s in.

I would love to see him here but I highly doubt it.  He will get another opportunity soon. 

I’m definitely curious to see who picks him up.  With the right coach and scheme, it could be a great turnaround opportunity for him.  Or not.  Who knows.

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Guarantee the Buccaneers or Seahawks try to sign him and he will go to one of those two teams.

Those two teams actually try to win Super Bowls.

If the Packers bring Jaylon Smith in, I will… I can’t think of something I would do, but I would do it.

It could be anything really because it won’t happen.

Agree, I just don't understand why they don't kick the tires on a guy like this.  Turn every stone possible to see if there's gold under it.  Get a kick out of posters who are scouts/personnel of other team's players who say "he can't help us".  LOL .. Smith will go somewhere and light it up.  Bring him in and see if there's gold under the stone.  What can it hurt?