This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think somebody here said trading for NY was a mistake.  Vikings gave up a high second for a low third and don’t even have him on the roster anymore.

That is huge.

I addressed this in the other thread. As much as I want to dog the Vikings and I'm glad it blew up in their face, I get what happened and the thought process. 

When Vikings were 0-0: 

• Playoff (maybe SB) aspirations
  • Questions about Hunter missing some time (but probably hope he'd be back at some point)
  • Make trade for Yannick -- only give up a 2nd -- big boost to a defense who needed it with Hunter out
  • Overall, the move is fine and an aggressive attempt to add a difference maker for a team expecting to have success

Fast forward, Vikings 1-5: 

• They know the season is now over
  • They know Yannick may have been a one-year rental anyways, but now have decided that indeed is the case
  • Because they are 1-5 and they no longer want to resign him, he's now a depreciating asset (could get hurt if kept around)
  • They know if they hang on to him, best case = 3rd round compensatory pick
  • Move him to Ravens for 3rd and 5th -- better 3rd rounder (by just a few picks) than the 3rd rd compensatory pick (which isn't guaranteed), plus one additional day 3 pick

So, it's a net loss for sure (glad to see) -- but this was merely damage control and getting the best return possible. The one good thing I'll say is kudos to the FO for admitting the problem and doing something about it. This could have turned out even worse for Minny had they not made this move today. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I addressed this in the other thread. As much as I want to dog the Vikings and I'm glad it blew up in their face, I get what happened and the thought process. 

When Vikings were 0-0: 

• Playoff (maybe SB) aspirations
  • Questions about Hunter missing some time (but probably hope he'd be back at some point)
  • Make trade for Yannick -- only give up a 2nd -- big boost to a defense who needed it with Hunter out
  • Overall, the move is fine and an aggressive attempt to add a difference maker for a team expecting to have success

Fast forward, Vikings 1-5: 

• They know the season is now over
  • They know Yannick may have been a one-year rental anyways, but now have decided that indeed is the case
  • Because they are 1-5 and they no longer want to resign him, he's now a depreciating asset (could get hurt if kept around)
  • They know if they hang on to him, best case = 3rd round compensatory pick
  • Move him to Ravens for 3rd and 5th -- better 3rd rounder (by just a few picks) than the 3rd rd compensatory pick (which isn't guaranteed), plus one additional day 3 pick

So, it's a net loss for sure (glad to see) -- but this was merely damage control and getting the best return possible. The one good thing I'll say is kudos to the FO for admitting the problem and doing something about it. This could have turned out even worse for Minny had they not made this move today. 

Just because they did damage control dosent mean it still wasn’t a bad decision to trade for him. Both can be true.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Just because they did damage control dosent mean it still wasn’t a bad decision to trade for him. Both can be true.

My point is that it wasn't a bad decision...when that decision was made. If we would have needed an EDGE player, I would have been thrilled to get Yannick for a 2 at the beginning of the season. 

42 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My point is that it wasn't a bad decision...when that decision was made. If we would have needed an EDGE player, I would have been thrilled to get Yannick for a 2 at the beginning of the season. 

Sorry, I disagree, it was a bad decision regardless  .. period.  Vikings #2 they gave up is going to be in the top 10 picks next year.  The 3rd they get back is going to be in the last 5 of the same draft.  That's a LOT of draft premium for basically nothing gained in 5-6 games.  That's a bad trade and yes, he's a nice player but a #2 draft pick better be really, really helpful to your team.  Obviously, it didn't help the Vikings that much and it cost them.

Edited by coachbuns

59 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Sorry, I disagree, it was a bad decision regardless  .. period.  Vikings #2 they gave up is going to be in the top 10 picks next year.  The 3rd they get back is going to be in the last 5 of the same draft.  That's a LOT of draft premium for basically nothing gained in 5-6 games.  That's a bad trade and yes, he's a nice player but a #2 draft pick better be really, really helpful to your team.  Obviously, it didn't help the Vikings that much and it cost them.

I guess with the benefit of hindsight being 50/50 it was a bad decision.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Vikings #2 they gave up is going to be in the top 10 picks next year: So they knew it was going to be a top 10 2nd round pick when they were 0-0 before the season started? 

#2 draft pick better be really, really helpful to your team: This is a big misconception about the draft. There's maybe a 50/50 chance that any 2nd round pick year to year is ever going to be anything better than an average NFL player. Josh Jones? Josh Jackson? Or maybe you get an Elgton. That's the point, it's a crap shoot. Getting a player like Yannick for a 2nd round pick is highway robbery as long as you can afford the veteran player. If there is anything to attack about the Vikings' decision it's that they made the trade and now are not committing to the player long-term. That's the give and take here. You have 3 doors: (1) get Yannick for one year and get a very good player; (2) keep your 2nd round pick and get a crap player for 4 years or (3) keep your 2nd round pick and hit on a good player. I can respect the Vikings for taking a chance. It just didn't work because the team started 1-5. If they were 5-1 right now, no one would be talking about this because Yannick would still be a Viking.  

The Vikings were in a bad situation financially before they traded for Yannick and that only became worse when they set themselves up to pay another elite edge contract after the season. Compound that with doubling down on talent they’re quickly souring on (Cousins, Harris, Rudolph, Reif, etc) and you have where they are now. I struggled to see how they’d afford him at the time the deal was made. 

Edited by Rodjahs12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Vikings #2 they gave up is going to be in the top 10 picks next year: So they knew it was going to be a top 10 2nd round pick when they were 0-0 before the season started? 

#2 draft pick better be really, really helpful to your team: This is a big misconception about the draft. There's maybe a 50/50 chance that any 2nd round pick year to year is ever going to be anything better than an average NFL player. Josh Jones? Josh Jackson? Or maybe you get an Elgton. That's the point, it's a crap shoot. Getting a player like Yannick for a 2nd round pick is highway robbery as long as you can afford the veteran player. If there is anything to attack about the Vikings' decision it's that they made the trade and now are not committing to the player long-term. That's the give and take here. You have 3 doors: (1) get Yannick for one year and get a very good player; (2) keep your 2nd round pick and get a crap player for 4 years or (3) keep your 2nd round pick and hit on a good player. I can respect the Vikings for taking a chance. It just didn't work because the team started 1-5. If they were 5-1 right now, no one would be talking about this because Yannick would still be a Viking.  

Nobody knew a thing ... it turned out badly for them.  They couldn't afford him except for this year ... they ended up losing money and draft capital.  It is what it is ... it's fine with me.