Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Kirk Cousins is good. Like 12th QB in the NFL good. 

He's about to get an insane contract though. I have to believe it ends up looking really bad in a few years, even if he's above average.

I used to be all-in on the Browns getting Cousins, but when the rumored contract numbers came up, I almost pooped in my pants. He's not even close to being worth 100+ million. That's crazy talk. Someone else can have him for that price.

$100m at 5 years isn’t a bad price. 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Kirk Cousins is good. Like 12th QB in the NFL good. 

He's about to get an insane contract though. I have to believe it ends up looking really bad in a few years, even if he's above average.

I used to be all-in on the Browns getting Cousins, but when the rumored contract numbers came up, I almost pooped in my pants. He's not even close to being worth 100+ million. That's crazy talk. Someone else can have him for that price.

That's how the QB market works these days. Next man up becomes the highest paid QB in the NFL.

After Jimmy G got his whopper contract, Kirk and his agent feel will of course feel that he's got a bigger body of work in the league, therefore if Garoppolo gets that contract, Kirk in his mind probably feels he deserves more.

Then other QB's who have done more than Cousins whose contracts are running down (i.e. Rodgers and Ryan) will expect contracts that surpass even that.

They're only going to get higher. 

I think if Kirk Cousins would've signed the same exact contract as Alex Smith, not one person would've batted an eye. Whether you think Cousins is overrated or not, you can't dispute he's the best QB to hit the market with his prime years still ahead of him since when... ?

We're not talking Manning, Brad Johnson, Favre, Warner, Gannon here.

Drew Brees people thought would be solid, not a single person expected HOF production.

If you can tell me that I'm getting 6-8 years of 4000 yards and 25 TD's, as a Jet fan I'm signing that and running with it. ESPECIALLY since we have a ton of cap space this year and could manipulate his contract so it doesn't kill us down the road.

55 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think the rub is the fact some rumors are 100m is guaranteed

Oh, I see. 

Still, that’s more of an issue for either an older QB that may regress soon or a player that’s unproven - which, I suppose one could argue Kirk is. 

But if you think the guy will be at the level he currently is - which I think is pretty possible given Kirk’s age - guaranteed is less of an issue. Especially if it’s front loaded with bonuses. 

That said, if it’s $100m guaranteed + others, it gets troublesome. $30m/year is a bit too steep.

On 3/3/2018 at 6:29 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This whole thing with Kirk is getting out of control. He has to love the fact he got franchised some to get paid a premium and won't lose a dime. High risk but he is cashing in on the reward. I was fine with us pursuing him and was hoping we would during the season but 100m guaranteed is too much

Why though? How much of a QB's non guaranteed money ends up not counting against the cap anyway, cause that's all that matters.

Archived